Henna + Keratin

2ndsbetter

Hello!

I just received my Godrej Nupur Mehendi Powder 9 Blend Henna in the mail. I plan to shampoo then henna for a few hours. After that, I wanted to deep condition with my lustrasilk Moisture Max DC. The DC has keratin. Is it a good idea to henna then DC with a keratin product? Do you think the combo will make my hair too hard?:perplexed

Here's a link for more info about the DC: http://www.alleghanypharmacal.com/brands/lustrasilk/moisture-max.html

Also, what have you mixed that particular henna with before application?

Thanks much!!

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I'd say no. Moisturizing is better after using henna (I henna every 2 weeks).

First, henna kinda acts like a protein and I notice being more sensitive to protein after (and I was before anyway, henna has made it worse). Second, you have to mix the powder with something acidic to release the dye. Well, the acid is also drying.

Like your instincts are telling you, it's probably not the best idea. Maybe a week or 2 after you henna, a keratin MIGHT be ok.

baddison

natural for good
I agree with DarkJoy! Once a month - every month - I do an overnight henna treatment with NUPUR henna. In the morning, all I do is cowash the henna out of my hair, then proceed to DC with a very moisturizing conditioner. That's it. Once I tried to use a mild, mild protein conditioner to dc. BAD MOVE! My hair was hard, stiff, and extremely difficult to manage. I've learned that although henna is NOT a protein....the tannins in the leaves have protein-like behavior. So my hair responds as though I gave it protein. I have never made that mistake again. Additionally, since I henna so regularly, I simply don't need heavy proteins in my hair-life at all. Mild proteins are all I use, and only every other month. NUPUR henna is the only henna I've been using since 2008 - 4 years now! I'm not using anything else. The additional plants and herbs in this product are a blessing to my strands. I've said goodbye to excessive breakage and shedding a long time ago.

baddison

natural for good
2ndsbetter said:
Do you mix your Nupur with anything other than water?

I keep my mix extremely simple....almost TOO simple compared to some of the recipes I've seen...lol!
-200 grams NUPUR henna
-6oz to 8oz room temperature brewed coffee
-Amla oil
-Trader Joes Nourish Spa conditioner

The coffee aids in the dark, rich reddish tones I get. The Amla oil helps inthe fight againstgreys. The conditioner and amla oil together gives me an easy, problem free rinse out the next morning.

I only put enough coffee to get my henna to a lumpy mix. Then I add Amla oil and conditioner to get the mixture to a nice creamy batter-like consistency. I finger part, and apply with gloved hands. Cover with plastic cap and scarf or towel,and got to bed. I have mastered this whole process and can get it all done in just under 20 minutes.

Bun Mistress

Um I'm going out on a limb and saying I dont' see a problem. I mix my henna with protein and a keratin conditioner, let it sit then DC with moisture DC. But after the initial rinse out my hair feels great. But My hair is fine and protein doesn't bother me.

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
add-ins for the henna, in this order:

- one (1) can of coconut cream
- plain full fat yogurt, couple of tablespoons
- honey, I don't measure (~1/4 cup?)
- black tea, enough to make mixture "smooth"
- a little oil of your choice

I mix with a hand mixer in a glass bowl, until smooth. Mixture should be THICK and not runny. So when you put it in your hair, it should not be dripping down your neck/face. It should "stick" to your hair. Let sit over night for color release or, I'll put in a glass bowl and freeze until ready to use.

Good luck!

Krystle~Hime

Um I'm going out on a limb and saying I dont' see a problem. I mix my henna with protein and a keratin conditioner, let it sit then DC with moisture DC. But after the initial rinse out my hair feels great. But My hair is fine and protein doesn't bother me.

I also don't see a problem.
I add hydrolysed protein in my indian powders mix(like yours OP) and it won't make my hair hard cause I always follow by a moisturizing conditionner(even leave ins are even okay, as long as they are moistuzing condish)
I also put honey and molasses in the indian/henna mix. Hair is always soft and I think this is the trick.

Prosperity711

I used henna a long time ago and would like to try it again is there a way to get a brown color instead of black or red? Where do you order it from?