Henna and/or Indigo PICTURES - BEFORE and AFTER & MIX - REFERENCE

naturalmanenyc

KPH

I ordered Moroccan henna and Indigo from hennaking.com since hennasooq.com has been out of Moroccan henna for a while. I expect my order in a couple of days (Vegas to NYC). I'm told 100 grams will be sufficient for my APL length, fine hair (50 grams of henna and 50 grams of indigo).

cutenss

HeChangedMyName Yes,you can..I use red palm oil,Hibicus powder & paprika..Gives a golden red on my hair...Not brassy,blends well.

Happy Hair Growing!

Lita, Do you think that I could do this to get that ombre effect on the ends of my hair? I have dark brown to black hair. I was thinking I could use my Nupur henna, rinse, then add the red henna mixture to a ponytail or two, and baggy just the ends.

Whatcha think? :look:

Lita

Lita, Do you think that I could do this to get that ombre effect on the ends of my hair? I have dark brown to black hair. I was thinking I could use my Nupur henna, rinse, then add the red henna mixture to a ponytail or two, and baggy just the ends.

Whatcha think? :look:

cutenss Hi! I have done all kinds of crazy things with henna/my hair..If you want,can do the Nupur first..Wait,week or 2,inbeween,moisturize/moisturize..Then do the red on your ends..Because you don't want any damage..Like I said,I've tried little everything,henna & my hair...

*Keep us posted.

Happy Hair Growing!

naturalmanenyc

Adel10

I've read that organic indigo is not good for covering grays. If you need to cover grays, get regular indigo.

The photos in the original post are: 2 parts indigo & 1 part henna in order to get a more brown result.

WHat was your ratio of henna to indigo?

It never covers my grey!

naturalmanenyc

My Moroccan henna powder and organic indigo powder order arrived sooner than I thought so I did a strand test on shed hair.

The mix I used was 50/50 Moroccan henna and organic indigo with salt (salt was pre mixed from vendor).

I used warm, bottled water only, no lemon, vinegar, coffee, tea etc.

I mixed them separately and then combined the paste. Moroccan henna has a fast dye release of 1 - 2 hours. Indigo only takes 15-30 minutes for dye release.

I left the mix on for 7 hours wrapped in plastic and in a warm bathroom while I went to bed.

I cut up the tangled henndigo pieces and clipped them to a bobby pin. The color seems dark brown, not black but definitely darker than my own brown hair.

The photos below were taken in sunlight.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Here are my Henndigo pictures. I buy Jamila Henna and Indigo from Henna Sooq. I do the one step and my ratio is 2/1 parts henna/indigo. Over time my hair has turned a rich burgundy (only seen in bright sunlight) and my grays are a beautiful auburn. I'll get a picture of my natural hair color later as they are only on my desktop.

Most recent application:
View attachment 191191
This was after my first application over the summer. It was close to my natural hair color. I emailed Henna Sooq a picture if my natural hair color and she recommended a ratio of 2 parts henna and 1 part indigo to stay as close as possible to my natural tone.
View attachment 191197

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:

HeChangedMyName

so, today I got off work early due to this alleged icey weather situation. My husband is at work, so I think I will henna, Ive got nothing to lose, except some time. I'm sure the kids wont like the smell lingering but, they'll be alright. What is the best liquid to use to achieve dye release? I've got Reshma henna and it says to let it sit for 1/2 hr and then leave on for 2 hours.

I do plan to add some red palm oil to it, simply because I have it and I feel like it is going to waste.

Blyss_curls

@cutenss Hi! I have done all kinds of crazy things with henna/my hair..If you want,can do the Nupur first..Wait,week or 2,inbeween,moisturize/moisturize..Then do the red on your ends..Because you don't want any damage..Like I said,I've tried little everything,henna & my hair...

*Keep us posted.

Happy Hair Growing!

Hi
Lita

I'm in the process of ordering henna and indigo. I'd like to color the greys (which are annoying strands here and there).

I have some left-over frozen henna I'd like to use before, to help w/conditioning/strengthening. Will this adversely affect my efforts w/henndigo? Or is it cool to do henna alone prior to to henndigo?

Hope that wasn't confusing. :spinning: :lol:

Thanks so much,
Blyss

naturalmanenyc

Blyss_curls
I think it's fine to do a henna treatment prior to henna/indigo. The indigo needs something to hold on to so it should work well.

I read that Moroccan henna does not keep well so I don't plan to make a large batch, just 50 grams of henna with 50 grams of indigo.

Hi
Lita

I'm in the process of ordering henna and indigo. I'd like to color the greys (which are annoying strands here and there).

I have some left-over frozen henna I'd like to use before, to help w/conditioning/strengthening. Will this adversely affect my efforts w/henndigo? Or is it cool to do henna alone prior to to henndigo?

Hope that wasn't confusing. :spinning: :lol:

Thanks so much,
Blyss

naturalmanenyc

I was hoping to spend the day playing in empressri gorgeous hair but since that did not work out, I did my own hair.

I'm still not sure if I wasted 6 hours of my day though.:ohwell:

DH's thinks my hair is darker and I've convinced myself that it's darker too.

I filmed a lot of the process: http://youtu.be/bX63v-JsaFY

Before and after photos:

Mix:
50 grams Moroccan henna
50 grams organic indigo with sea salt (premixed from vendor)
mixed with hot, bottled water (3/4 cup each)

Applied to clean, damp hair
Rinsed in the shower, messy but easier than I read it would be to rinse.
Washed with Herbal Essence Hello Hydration conditioner

Deep conditioned with honey, olive oil and Suave Humectant conditioner

ETA: It worked! I took more photos in the morning after it dried to compare to my strand test.

Last edited:

lavaflow99

In search of the next vacation
oooh glad to see this thread! i plan to henna/indigo my hair this weekend so i'll post pics

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Just rinsed my henndigo and now I'm steam DC for 30 minutes. I might let it sit for 2 hours or in over night, the later seems more realistic.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:

Onhergrind09

I had the most successful henna session of my life yesterday and I've been hennaing for almost 2 years.

First, the night before, I mixed up my henna using 1/2 Mehendi, 1/4 Deep Red Henna, 1/4 Amla powder and 4 tbsp of a random mixture of oils.

The next day, I divided my hair into 4 sections and detangled each section then applied the henna in sections.

Now here's what changed the game for me, I'm used to letting the henna sit for at least 6 hours, but it was late and I didn't want it to get all over my sheet which I knew it would. So instead, I wrapped my hair in plastic like I usually do and I sat under the hair dryer for 25 minutes. Then I rinsed it out with water as much as I could, then I rinsed it out with as much conditioner as I could. Another thing I changed was instead of rinsing it out while standing in the shower which makes a big mess I sat in the tub and rinsed it out using my detachable shower head. Oh yea, I ore gloves throughout the entire process. Both when putting the henna in and when rinsing it out.

I then applied my Wen 613 in my hair while I took a shower and then whenI as done showering I rinsed it out, detangled and then did another light wash with the 613.

Next, I applied my leave-ins and c'est tout!

*The first 3 pics are my hair w/ henna, the 4th is after I've just washed it out, the last is the next morning.

Attachments

• 2013-02-02 22.58.25.jpg
    2013-02-02 22.58.25.jpg
    521.4 KB · Views: 170
  • 2013-02-02 22.58.18.jpg
    2013-02-02 22.58.18.jpg
    498.2 KB · Views: 140
  • 2013-02-02 22.58.30.jpg
    2013-02-02 22.58.30.jpg
    506.8 KB · Views: 141
  • 2013-02-03 01.28.54.jpg
    2013-02-03 01.28.54.jpg
    498 KB · Views: 170
  • 2013-02-03 10.17.36.jpg
    2013-02-03 10.17.36.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:

Curly1908

Uhm, I accidentally spilled a bit of henna into my bathroom sink (which is white). How do I get the dye out? Bleach?

I mixed up 200 g of henna with a combination of lemon juice and distilled water. I was in a hurry so I let it sit on a warm place for 2 hours as recommended in the book - my window sill for 1 hr and then on top of the stove with the oven on.

On mehandi.com, she states I should use between 300 to 500 g for my BSL hair. I have super thick hair and only managed to need ~150 g to fully saturate my hair. I hope I didn't short change myself. I used one of these to apply it to my roots and scalp before smoothing it down the shaft to my porous ends:

I then went back and slapped handfuls of the mixture to each section. (My problem areas - crown, nape, and ends - really drank this stuff up.) This stuff is supposed to be good for dandruff (which I've recently been plagued with for the first time in years). I froze the rest of the henna and am now sitting under the dryer with a plastic cap on for 2 hours. I don't have time to chill for 6 hours with this stuff in my head lol.

No skin allergic reactions to this stuff, but I would caution y'all that have severe plant allergies resulting in allergic rhinitis like myself to pop a benadryl, claritin, etc. prior to working with the henna. I've been sneezing up a storm lol.

I plan to wash this out with just water. And then I'll mix up ~200g of indigo with tap water, CMC powder, and 2 tsp of salt to use immediately. I plan to sit under the dryer for 2 hours with the indigo as well. Let's cross our fingers that I don't end up with blue or green hair. :nono:

lavaflow99

I'm very pleased with my henna/indigo treatment. I mixed Jamila henna with AVJ and left it overnight. The following day I added a little more AVJ then applied to my hair in 4 sections. Then wrapped in Saran Wrap and sat under the dryer for 30 minutes then kept the henna on my hair for another 2.5 hours for a total of 3 hours (in the past I usually leave it on for 4h but I was pressed for time). Then I washed it out with tons of water (no conditioner) then applied my indigo mix (100g indigo mixed with 1 tsp of salt and hot water). Then sat under the dryer for 30 minutes then kept the indigo in my hair for another 45 minutes. Then rinsed it out with tons of water followed by VO5 conditioner. Then saturated my hair with Humecto/CON conditioner and wrapped it up and went to bed. Then washed it out the following morning, applied my leave-ins, and air dried.

Here are my pics. I forgot to take a pic of my before. So I have pics of post henna and post indigo:

post henna (wet hair - my grey hair are colored bright red):

post indigo:
(wet hair)

(air dried)

lavaflow99

Uhm, I accidentally spilled a bit of henna into my bathroom sink (which is white). How do I get the dye out? Bleach?

I mixed up 200 g of henna with a combination of lemon juice and distilled water. I was in a hurry so I let it sit on a warm place for 2 hours as recommended in the book - my window sill for 1 hr and then on top of the stove with the oven on.

On mehandi.com, she states I should use between 300 to 500 g for my BSL hair. I have super thick hair and only managed to need ~150 g to fully saturate my hair. I hope I didn't short change myself. I used one of these to apply it to my roots and scalp before smoothing it down the shaft to my porous ends:

I then went back and slapped handfuls of the mixture to each section. (My problem areas - crown, nape, and ends - really drank this stuff up.) This stuff is supposed to be good for dandruff (which I've recently been plagued with for the first time in years). I froze the rest of the henna and am now sitting under the dryer with a plastic cap on for 2 hours. I don't have time to chill for 6 hours with this stuff in my head lol.

No skin allergic reactions to this stuff, but I would caution y'all that have severe plant allergies resulting in allergic rhinitis like myself to pop a benadryl, claritin, etc. prior to working with the henna. I've been sneezing up a storm lol.

I plan to wash this out with just water. And then I'll mix up ~200g of indigo with tap water, CMC powder, and 2 tsp of salt to use immediately. I plan to sit under the dryer for 2 hours with the indigo as well. Let's cross our fingers that I don't end up with blue or green hair. :nono:

I have used nail polish remover with success.

Curly1908

I'm waiting a few days for the color to settle but so far I love the results. I was a bit concerned because immediately after henna'ing, the blonde/grey hair I have turned fire engine red while the jet black hair turned dark auburn. (I'll post the pics I took of this when I get home.) After the indigo, it all appears to be back black - how black, I'm waiting to see though. No more blondes/greys though!!! <3

My hair feels "stronger" and responded much better to my products and was much easier to detangle. Immediately after the henna, it felt strong yet dry. After the DT, it feels downright silky. I'm rocking a bun, but I've still been getting compliment on my hair.

Transformer

Here's my experience-a bit unfair but I have no pictures.

I have a large amount of gray. A few months ago tried Lush Caca Noir Henna that turned the grays a coppery brown. So decided to henna using Red Raj and Indigo. Used 100 grams of each mixed together for a hennadigo Results were bright orange on my gray (viewed while wet). I immediately mixed a batch of indigo together, applied and allowed to set for 40 minutes....covered the orangies to black/dark brown.

Next time I will use more indigo and less henna.

delitefulmane

How long is the shelf life of henna? I have two boxes that I have had for several years now. Will this still be okay to use ?

naturalmanenyc & cocomama,
Where did you guys purchase your indigo? I want to try this on my hair.

naturalmanenyc

delitefulmane

I purchased my indigo from www.hennaking.com. It arrived pretty fast too, from Nevada to NYC in 3 days.

I'm not sure of the shelf life of unused, dry henna. I would think using 2011 crops would still give you the color you want so long as it's been stored in a cool, dry place. I'd do a strand test with the old henna to see what happens.

Seamonster

I am doing my second henna. Last time I used an auburn henna. This time it is brown surya henna treatment powder. Says 100% natural; the great thing it is pre mixed so all I have to do is open the powders and pour.
I did add some onion extract and cayenne pepper to the mix, along with a little coffee as I didn't wash my hair, I am concerned that it might be too greasy to take. Doing an overnight to make sure.