Henna and/or Indigo PICTURES - BEFORE and AFTER & MIX - REFERENCE

naturalmanenyc

Please post photos of your BEFORE and AFTER henna and/or indigo with your mix.

I thought it would be helpful to post photos of hair color before and after henna and/or indigo along with the mix used so others will have an idea of the ratio of henna and/or indigo for reference.

I've never tried henna or indigo but plan to soon.

***Everyone should do a patch test for allergic reactions and a strand test to get a color sample***

Video of my patch test and strand test: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bex4tI-o5k

Using Henna on Gray, natural hair

BEFORE

AFTER

MIX
2 parts indigo & 1 part henna in order to get a more brown result.
Left on for 2 hours.
Products from mehandi: finely sifted henna for "African hair"

Source

Attachments

• henna indigo - before.jpg
    henna indigo - before.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 91
  • henna indigo - before 2.jpg
    henna indigo - before 2.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 89
  • henna indigo after.jpg
    henna indigo after.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 110
  • henna indigo after 2.jpg
    henna indigo after 2.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 122
  • 2 parts indigo 1 part henna.jpg
    2 parts indigo 1 part henna.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

baddison

natural for good
Beautiful Results. You only let the mix stay on for 2hours? Awesome! I ususally do mine overnight.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
thanks for the tag. and inspiring results!

got my hair in braids for the month so wont be any pics here...

g.lo

wish i saw the thread a couple hours ago, just applied my prepoo and my Red Raj is sitting in a cupboard ( for dye release).
My before pic will be on damp hair , if this still ok :ohwell:
I will also take a pic of my mixture!
Ps: first time using Red Raj!

Last edited:

Henndigoed last night. This was my third time. Have been experimenting with ratios. My goal is to cover about 10-20 pesky grays and strengthen without going black

Before ( 12/31-- last henndigo was early November)

image-1955751607.jpg

---------------------

After
100g Moroccan henna + 100g indigo warm tap water only on dirty unwashed hair. left on for 4h cowashed out

image-4104692365.jpg

It'll fade a little to a reddish brown

Last edited:

g.lo

I did a henna yesterday, using hennasooq Red raj.
I am in love with the Red raj, really smooth and a charm to rinse.
My grays came out dark burgundy instead of orange :grin:!
I mixed 150gr of the Red raj with 2tbs of hibiscus powder, and my liquid was hibiscus tea.
the colour came out red cherry. Sorry about the quality of my camera, as it doesn't really show the exact colour.
1st pic: my mix
2nd Pic: before
3rd Pic: after
4th: after-dry hair

Attachments

• S1430001.jpg
    S1430001.jpg
    467.6 KB · Views: 360
  • S1430004.jpg
    S1430004.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 382
  • S1440003.jpg
    S1440003.jpg
    412.8 KB · Views: 330
  • S1440010.jpg
    S1440010.jpg
    371 KB · Views: 403

CenteredGirl

naturalmanenyc, I just ordered mehandi: finely sifted henna for "African hair". Do you have to add lemon? Is the product smoother to apply than other henna? Did you have to wait 24 hours before you put it on? Thanks.

I'm asking because CurlyNikki just applies the stuff after mixing (i don't beleive she uses lemon) and let's it stay on for 12 hours and it comes out beautiful like yours.

naturalmanenyc

CenteredGirl

I've never used henna and can only tell you what I've read. No, you don't have to add lemon. You only need to add water. Some henna takes longer for the dye to release i.e., Moroccan Henna: 1-2 hours for hair use, Yemeni Henna: 3-4 hours for hair use, Organic Rajasthani Indian Henna: 3-4 hours for hair use, and Jamila Henna: 10-12 hours for hair use

More info is here: http://www.hennasooq.com/faqs/

Jamila henna powder has the longest dye release taking up to 12 hours for they dye to release before using on hair. That is why Nikki leaves it on for 12 hours after applying instead of waiting 12 hours after mixing to apply. Details here: http://hennablogspot.com/how-to-choose-the-right-henna-powder/

Last edited:

Angelicus

Not much of a poster of pictures, however my hair is gorgeously black due to henna then indigo treatments. I leave the henna on for a few hours, then rinse. I then add the indigo to my hair, let it sit for an hour then rinse. Hair comes out a natural, beautiful black.

OP your photos are great. Thank you kindly for sharing. I am a henna then indigo fanatic and will probably never go back to commercial dyes.

HeChangedMyName

I've got Reshma Henna, and it says to let it sit for 1/2 hour and then leave on for 2 hours. Has anyone left it on longer or shorter?

Also, would adding heat speed up the process?

I've got some red palm oil and it stains EVERYTHING red, can you add oils to henna? If so, I may add some to my mix.

Lita

I've got Reshma Henna, and it says to let it sit for 1/2 hour and then leave on for 2 hours. Has anyone left it on longer or shorter?

Also, would adding heat speed up the process?

I've got some red palm oil and it stains EVERYTHING red, can you add oils to henna? If so, I may add some to my mix.

HeChangedMyName Yes,you can..I use red palm oil,Hibicus powder & paprika..Gives a golden red on my hair...Not brassy,blends well.

Happy Hair Growing!

ilong

God's Own
naturalmanenyc
Great thread - thank you for starting it, posting pics and instructions.

The only time I'm not in PS is when I am wearing a wig and I remove it at night. Next year is my big reveal year and a major milestone so I hope to have lots of long, thick and healthy hair to reveal. I will definitely need to "Hennindigo" next year before my "unveiling". Thanks again.

ilong

God's Own
Thanks to all who have and will post pics and instructions. This is a new avenue I have not yet ventured on - so all of your posts are extremely helpful.