Help-Want to DYE HAIR BLACK without looking gothic

kit25

Hi ladies! I'm currently growing out my shoulder length hair aiming for bra-strap. My hair is a very drab dark brown color & I'd like to dye my hair to a vibrant shiny black color. Something similiar to Aaliyah. I also liked Catherine Zeta-Jones hair color before she dyed it. I would like to try a out a semi-permanent dye first. Any advice or product rec's would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

free2bme

My hair is an off back colour and I too dislack the blue-black gothic look. I tried sebastian colorshines in coffeebean my hair came out a vibrant rich black not goth at all. The added bonus is that if you don't like it, it rises off after a few weeks of frequent washings. I've done it 3 times so far and me like it!! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

NAY007

a couple of months ago i went to the hair dresser and had bigen in oriental black applied. my hair was so soft and shiny. it was a blue-black (like chinese women). i loved it, but it washes out after a while. it was a powder and it was a natural color (or whatever you call it /images/graemlins/tongue.gif-no ammonia or peroxide). it was great.
i think the gothic look has a lot to do with your complexion. if you are pale or very light you should be careful or use a bronzer on your face. but if you are darker you will be fine. i would use the bigen again anytime.
nay /images/graemlins/wink.gif

MissM

I used a powder type hair color similar to the one Nay recommended called Fushion. I've never seen it in Sally's so you may have to go to an independent beauty supply store to find it. I recently did my color touch up this weekend. I had originally used to the off black color but I wanted a deeper black. I mixed half the powder of the off black with half the powder of the jet black, because I also didn't want the 'weave black' that you get with some black hair dye. It came out very natural. Now this color is permanent but it also has no chemicals in it. For some reason a lot of the semi-permanent black dyes don't last long at all, especially if you wash your hair frequently. But this one lasts a long time, it keeps the deep color. I'm surprised that Nay's color didn't last because Bigen is supposed to be really good for getting black hair and keepin it. I wonder what happened?

LondonDiva

I use Adore Semi-Perm Black velvet colour to get a rich black.

It contains no ammonia, peroxide or alchol, it's cheap and very effective. I don't know about the shine factor because I use products that make my hair shine anyway. But it's a keeper for me. You have to penetrate that colour with heat for 20 mins and then wash it out.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Re: Help-Want to DYE HAIR BLACK without looking go

Jazzing by clairol is available at Sally's.