Help: Trying to use Braids to grow hair

Christa438

I used the search tool and found some info on avoiding knots and tangles but I didn't find exactly what I was looking for. I have been trying to use braids/cornrows to grow my hair, but whenever I take them out I always have a few small knots in the back of my head. I don't even leave them in very long. I had some cornrows that I let stay in for 2 1/2 weeks and I had this problem again even though I use a little conditioner+water to help take it down this time. I continue to wash and condition while I have the cornrows/braids in my hair. Where am I going wrong? Should I just leave braids/cornrows alone or does anyone have a method that will solve this problem?

Thanks

Christa438

cutiebe2 said:
are these extensions or are you using your natural hair?

I used to always use braiding hair, but this time I got my own hair cornrowed--I still got those small knots in the back.

LadyPaniolo

Are you doing the braiding yourself or hiring someone? Cuz I've had braids like fifty times and never encountered this. If you are using a braider I'd try someone else.

Other than just an issue of technique, I can't imagine why this would happen.

Christa438

joyousnerd said:
Are you doing the braiding yourself or hiring someone? Cuz I've had braids like fifty times and never encountered this. If you are using a braider I'd try someone else.

Other than just an issue of technique, I can't imagine why this would happen.

I always do extensions myself. But I get the cornrows done by a relative. Either way I still get the little knots in the back. I have a cousin who says she experiences this too.

Lotus

Christa438 said:
I used the search tool and found some info on avoiding knots and tangles but I didn't find exactly what I was looking for. I have been trying to use braids/cornrows to grow my hair, but whenever I take them out I always have a few small knots in the back of my head. I don't even leave them in very long. I had some cornrows that I let stay in for 2 1/2 weeks and I had this problem again even though I use a little conditioner+water to help take it down this time. I continue to wash and condition while I have the cornrows/braids in my hair. Where am I going wrong? Should I just leave braids/cornrows alone or does anyone have a method that will solve this problem?

Thanks

Are you talking about those 'dirt knots' or your actual hair knotting up?

Dirt Knots (read on)-
Are you washing in the shower or sink? How much are you washing/conditioning and what with?
IME- avoid products w/heavy or non watersoluable cones, mineral oil and or petroleum. If you do not rise all of the shampoo and conditioner out you will get product build up in and between the braids. Products w/heavy grease like substances attract dirt. Product + dirt= Dirt knot tangles.

HTH

Blaque*Angel

I get the knots too, i have bumped up a good thread for you.

HTH

Christa438 said:

Thanks