Help!!! Relaxer Underprocessed in Sections!

Choklatekiss79

I just relaxed my hair on Friday after a 12 week stretch. My hair is severely under processed in the back and it is causing breakage. :( How soon until I can re-relax this area only? And what should I do to protect this area until then?

LiLi

I would say plait that section in medium-sized braids until you can relax it again and put everything in a bun so no one can see the plaits.

Wait at least 4 weeks before you do a corrective.

What relaxer did you use? How did you go about putting the relaxer on? Also, I think it's important to understand why it was underprocessed so the next time you do a relaxer after a long stretch, you won't have the same problem.

HTH. :)

Choklatekiss79

I used ORS regular lye. This was my first itme using it. I was previously using Motions mild lye. I put my hair in about 7 sections and started with the crown because that seemed to be the coarsest are on my head. I did the back last because it had been breaking and the new growth seemed to be fairly soft. I thought decreasing the processing time in this area would make it better. I think it made it worse. As a result, the top got bone straight and back is kinky. ARGH!!!!!

My hair is short, so I don't think the bun thing is going to work. I may have to do braid/twist outs until I can touch that area up again. I feel like crying. This is so frustrating. :( It seems like the back is never going to grow out again.

LiLi

Choklatekiss79 said:
I used ORS regular lye. This was my first itme using it. I was previously using Motions mild lye. I put my hair in about 7 sections and started with the crown because that seemed to be the coarsest are on my head. I did the back last because it had been breaking and the new growth seemed to be fairly soft. I thought decreasing the processing time in this area would make it better. I think it made it worse. As a result, the top got bone straight and back is kinky. ARGH!!!!!

My hair is short, so I don't think the bun thing is going to work. I may have to do braid/twist outs until I can touch that area up again. I feel like crying. This is so frustrating. :( It seems like the back is never going to grow out again.

First, I just want to say that I totally understand what you are going through. It will get better. The best thing about going through trials is that it gets you closer to knowing what works and what doesn't. So next time, you know to process that area for the same time as you processed the other areas.

So when you do the corrective, just go over that section alone for no more than 5 minutes and it should silken it. I highly doubt that it will make it bone straight but it won't feel dry and you won't have to worry about it breaking easily. I have a section that I did a corrective on and it was the best thing I could have done. I get absolutely no breakage in that section which is what made me want to switch to lye relaxers.

Also, do you think you use enough relaxer on that section? Make sure not to skimp with the relaxer. I slather that stuff on like it's conditioner. I learned the hard way years ago and skimped, thinking it would make it better for my hair, but it did the exact opposite.

Also, soft hair does not mean that it's not resistant hair. That section could, very well, be just as resistant as the rest of you hair. It's very confusing and you would think that rough hair would mean that it's resistant, but for some reason, that's not always the case (I'm still trying to understand the whole thing).

The back will grow out. Trust me girl. Just be persistent with what you are doing. Doing the twistout/braidout will be good. Just make sure to comb your hair at least once/week. A product that helped me with my underprocessed (dry, frizzy, and brittle) hair was L'oreal Unfrizz Smoothing Treatment (Sallys Beauty).

Choklatekiss79

Thank you sooooo much. I seriously considered cutting it all off I was so upset. I think, at this moment, it could look a lot worse than it really is because I have WAY too much moisturizer in my hair. (I freaked out and weighed my entire haed down with mango butter last night) lol. So my hair looks really thin (but feels full) right now. Hopefully, once I wash it on tomorrow, I'll feel better about it.

You're right, I have this thing about not using a lot of realxer, thinking that it's better for my hair. Maybe that was my downfall. Also, becasue that area is so short, I was afraid of over lapping, so I went very light. :perplexed (sigh) You live and you learn. I really appreciate your help. I feel much more calm and hopeful now.

Thanks again.

BTW...i love your hair!

LiLi

Choklatekiss79 said:
Thank you sooooo much. I seriously considered cutting it all off I was so upset. I think, at this moment, it could look a lot worse than it really is because I have WAY too much moisturizer in my hair. (I freaked out and weighed my entire haed down with mango butter last night) lol. So my hair looks really thin (but feels full) right now. Hopefully, once I wash it on tomorrow, I'll feel better about it.

You're right, I have this thing about not using a lot of realxer, thinking that it's better for my hair. Maybe that was my downfall. Also, becasue that area is so short, I was afraid of over lapping, so I went very light. :perplexed (sigh) You live and you learn. I really appreciate your help. I feel much more calm and hopeful now.

Thanks again.

BTW...i love your hair!

Thank you for the compliment!! :kiss:

That is the key, moisture, moisture, moisture when you have underprocessed hair so that's good that you slathered on the Mango Butter. You also need the protein but not as much as the moisture. The thing I like about the ORS Lye is that my hair stays moisturized. Much more different from when I used No-Lye Relaxers (well other than the Affirm Fiberguard No-Lye).

Be careful when you wash and condition tomorrow. When I did the test section with the ORS Lye relaxer, I washed a couple of days after and I used a protein treatment. WHAT THE HECK WAS I THINKING???? The waves popped right back (but those waves are nothing compared to the 4zzz texture that the section was so it's still very silky and easy to straighten). I should have waited the recommended full 72 hours before I did that or just used a primarily moisturizing conditioner.

If you are concerned about overlapping, slather the already processed section with neutralizer and conditioner and cover with a plastic cap or plastic wrap. Then secure it with a barette or clip or something that will allow the cap not to slip off. By doing it this way is that you will have all of the sections done already. You won't need to section the hair while applying the relaxer. There will be A LOT of sections, but imho, it's worth the preparation because it makes self-relaxing much easier and you don't have to worry about getting any relaxer on the already processed sections. Then all you have to do is slap the relaxer on (generously) and smooth. When I do my crown area, I am going to take pictures of how I do this.

Well, I am glad that you are feeling better now. I have had sooo many setbacks but have managed to grow my hair longer than it's ever been in my life. So you will get there. :)

trulyurangel82

My hair is like that right now. Very underprocessed in the back. But its because of my on doing. I started self relaxing in sept and I guess I didnt do the back area right.

I tried correcting it and it still didnt take good lol.

I would suggest going to a professional to correct it. Once its back in shape maybe self relax again.

Wait 6 weeks to relax it again.

Whats helping me right now is keeping it moisturized. I used to wash only once a week but I up'd it to 2 days with deep conditioning it on saturdays and a condition wash on wednesdays.

I spritz the areas with water and seal it with coconut oil, kemi oil or my new love Boundless tresses (really smoothes it).

Whatever moisturizer you use make sure you use it on the areas so it doesnt break off.

I suggest doing a protective style for right now so there will be less manipulation. I wouldnt comb through the areas when its dry either. only wet after you wash it.

In about a week Im going to go to a professional to get a corrective. I cant wait.

Last edited:

PaulaDiddy

Hmmm...I had the same problem two weeks ago.

I relaxed my virgin hair with ORS but in certain sections it was underprocessed with major breakage. Not only that, it felt and look lifeless! I applied KeraCare and did some ORS mayo treatments. Now no breakage and minimun shredding. My hair is normal again!

lonei

Choklatekiss79 said:

Next time use my half half relaxer method so that you have more time for each section and decrease the risk of underprocessing. Its in my fotki journal. When dealing with underprocessed hair you have to be more gentle/patient.

Choklatekiss79

Thanks sooooo much LiLi, trulyurangel82, lonei, and PaulaDiddy......

OMG....so that was the problem. I washed my hair (beacuse I jacked up my roller set) and did an aphogee treatment the next day after my relaxer. Maybe that's why my hair reverted???

Last night, I ran my head under the shower head just to wet it and let it air dry, and low and behold, the waves started rolling in. My ENTIRE head (except for my edges and very roots) is underprocessed!! :lol: All I can do at this point is laugh. My strands feel like they have three different textures. The very root is straight, but right after that it's kinky, then the ends are straight. :confused:
So confused.....Could I have under estimated the length of my ng?

The good thing is that once it dried, it felt incredibley strong and the sheddingd/breakage has subsided completely like yours did PaulaDiddy.

I did as you siad LiLi and braided up my entire head (paying special attention to the bac area) and moisturized again. Today I'm rocking the braid out. I'm so tired of it because this is all I could do with my hair while I was stretching. Oh well....

trulyurangel82, you're right. The next time I relax, I will go to stylist to have it corrected. lonei, I will visit your fotki to check out your method for the next time I relax.

MProvided the breakage stays at bay, and if I keep rocking the braid outs, do you think it's still safe to wait 12 weeks to relax it again?

Sorry for the long post...:ohwell:

trulyurangel82

Choklatekiss79 said:
Thanks sooooo much LiLi, trulyurangel82, lonei, and PaulaDiddy......

OMG....so that was the problem. I washed my hair (beacuse I jacked up my roller set) and did an aphogee treatment the next day after my relaxer. Maybe that's why my hair reverted???

Last night, I ran my head under the shower head just to wet it and let it air dry, and low and behold, the waves started rolling in. My ENTIRE head (except for my edges and very roots) is underprocessed!! :lol: All I can do at this point is laugh. My strands feel like they have three different textures. The very root is straight, but right after that it's kinky, then the ends are straight. :confused:
So confused.....Could I have under estimated the length of my ng?

The good thing is that once it dried, it felt incredibley strong and the sheddingd/breakage has subsided completely like yours did PaulaDiddy.

I did as you siad LiLi and braided up my entire head (paying special attention to the bac area) and moisturized again. Today I'm rocking the braid out. I'm so tired of it because this is all I could do with my hair while I was stretching. Oh well....

trulyurangel82, you're right. The next time I relax, I will go to stylist to have it corrected. lonei, I will visit your fotki to check out your method for the next time I relax.

MProvided the breakage stays at bay, and if I keep rocking the braid outs, do you think it's still safe to wait 12 weeks to relax it again?

Sorry for the long post...:ohwell:

If your hair isnt too underprocessed it would be safe to wait 12 weeks as long as you keep it moisturized and deep condition your hair.

If its very underprocessed like mine (my back head looks like a fro almost lol) I would wait 6 weeks. If you wait longer it might shed more and break off.

Choklatekiss79

Yeah you're right trulyurangel82....

The back is like mini poofy fro. lol I think I may just nix the 12 week stretch this time around and go in at 8 weeks for a regular relaxer/corrective. :mad: Once I get my head under control, I can go back to stretching. (sigh) Do you have the multiple textures thing going on too? (The very root is straight, but right after that it's kinky, then about 3 inches down to the ends is straight.)

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I notice that you use BT. I had problems relaxing my hair strait when I used MTG. Maybe the sulfur in BT gave you the same result.:) Your hair looks gorgeous, BTW.

gymfreak336

LiLi said:
First, I just want to say that I totally understand what you are going through. It will get better. The best thing about going through trials is that it gets you closer to knowing what works and what doesn't. So next time, you know to process that area for the same time as you processed the other areas.

So when you do the corrective, just go over that section alone for no more than 5 minutes and it should silken it. I highly doubt that it will make it bone straight but it won't feel dry and you won't have to worry about it breaking easily. I have a section that I did a corrective on and it was the best thing I could have done. I get absolutely no breakage in that section which is what made me want to switch to lye relaxers.

Also, do you think you use enough relaxer on that section? Make sure not to skimp with the relaxer. I slather that stuff on like it's conditioner. I learned the hard way years ago and skimped, thinking it would make it better for my hair, but it did the exact opposite.

Also, soft hair does not mean that it's not resistant hair. That section could, very well, be just as resistant as the rest of you hair. It's very confusing and you would think that rough hair would mean that it's resistant, but for some reason, that's not always the case (I'm still trying to understand the whole thing).

The back will grow out. Trust me girl. Just be persistent with what you are doing. Doing the twistout/braidout will be good. Just make sure to comb your hair at least once/week. A product that helped me with my underprocessed (dry, frizzy, and brittle) hair was L'oreal Unfrizz Smoothing Treatment (Sallys Beauty).

Ditto to everything she just said. I recently went thorugh the same thing and with deep conditioning and using porosity control, I managed to wait 6 weeks before re-relaxing and I couldn't be more pleased with the results.

Choklatekiss79

Ditto to everything she just said. I recently went thorugh the same thing and with deep conditioning and using porosity control, I managed to wait 6 weeks before re-relaxing and I couldn't be more pleased with the results.

I think (as long as I can keep the breakage at bay) I'll try to make it to the 8 week mark. That way I can just have my stylist relax my whole head and fix the areas that I jacked up. I vowed that I wouldn't relax this soon ever again, but in this case, I may have to.

Oh and I'll be making my way to Sally's to pick up some more porosity control. Thanks a bunch!

trulyurangel82

Choklatekiss79 said:
Yeah you're right trulyurangel82....

The back is like mini poofy fro. lol I think I may just nix the 12 week stretch this time around and go in at 8 weeks for a regular relaxer/corrective. :mad: Once I get my head under control, I can go back to stretching. (sigh) Do you have the multiple textures thing going on too? (The very root is straight, but right after that it's kinky, then about 3 inches down to the ends is straight.)

yep multiple textures for me.:perplexed
theres parts in the front that are straight and underprocessed. its still not as underprocessed as the back area though.
What seriously is helping me is BT (boundless tresses). I noticed that the underprocessed areas feel very smooth. Before it felt so dry.

In the back area the roots to the ends are kinda frizzy.:mad: I guess it went down to the ends. Then there are parts where the roots are just frizzy.