Help with wet hair please!

Carmen9000

Hello
Whenever my hair is wet, it is very hard to detangle. It like curls, waves, and mates up at the same time. I hate washing my hair because of this.
  • I think my hair is a 4a/b.
  • Its relaxed
  • Im still trying to find the balance between moisture and protein, but I think it needs more protein.
Drying my hair is another story. There is no way that I can dry my hair with out putting heat on it.
If I let it air dry, flat ironing it just takes longer because i'll have a tangled frow .
If I blow dry it, I'll still have to flat iron it, because I wear my hair mainly in straight styles.

I was thinking I should find something that would loosen the curl pattern maybe?
Do you think this will help with drying also?
Any advice is helpful. Please and Thank You!

soulie

Have you tried detangling while you still have a moisturizing conditioner in your hair? Also, when drying, have you tried roller setting? You can still have your hair straight without using blowdryer/flatiron.

Nonie

Have you considered washing your hair in braids? Robin of the Crown & Glory Technique is relaxed and washes her hair this way. She explains her method here.

MoniintheMiddle

I detangle during my prepoo which makes washing my hair a breeze. How often do you deep condition?
I agree with Soulie...maybe rollersetting is an option for you

Caramela

What works for me is detangling in the shower with a headful of conditioner and a Jilbere shower comb. I airdry my hair in a bun and I may use a soft brush to smooth the edges but other than that, I don't do any combing. I find that I have less broken hairs and hair loss this way versus trying to detangle my hair outside of the shower.

unalteredone

wash your hair in sections (i do 3: left, right, and back) applying shampoo to your scalp, not the hair. squeeze the lather down the hair shaft. This way, your hair is less likely to tangle. Braid the section under running water and continue to the next. Then unbraid, apply your DC or regular conditioner and twist each section back up. So leave the conditioner on however long you want, then untwist each section and rinse out the ocnditiner, using a seamless wide toothed comb to detangle and make sure the conditioner washes out completely.

When i blowdry/flatiron, which is rare now, i blowdry my hair by sectioning those three sections. So i take one big section at a time, and split it in half maybe, blowdry that about 75% dry, and then do the next half section. Then i take section#2 down and do the same,etc.

It sounds like a lot of work, but it really isnt. when i do this i dont lose any hair really in the shower and i dont have any major tangles. I start doing this when i'm about 5 weeks post relaxer. I'm 10 weeks post now and washing has never been easier at this stage than with this method.

Last edited:

soulie

What works for me is detangling in the shower with a headful of conditioner and a Jilbere shower comb. I airdry my hair in a bun and I may use a soft brush to smooth the edges but other than that, I don't do any combing. I find that I have less broken hairs and hair loss this way versus trying to detangle my hair outside of the shower.

This is the method that works for me.