Help!! my hair is d r y !!

DMarie

I have been fighting to make my hair stay soft and moisturized. I had fought off previous dry hair caused by deliberate over lapping chemicals in an effort to get straight hair by using Kenra MC, Kenra shampo, humecto , keracare shampoo, s curl, jojoba oil, and wgho. But now since I added a few other products my hair seems to be dry. I started using glovers- which has mineral oil and I sometimes leave in, and dr miracles hot grow oil -which promotes circulation and also contains petrolatum. I have used other products in the past with mineral oil and petroleum in them with no problems so I don't know what's going on!! I suspect everything that I've been using is causing the problem. I use to alternate my kenra and keracare shampoos and conditioners but noticed that I have changed this and I have been using more of the kenra shampoo which has silk proteins and believe that my hair now has too much protein in it cause it feels dry immediately after putting the kenra shampoo on it. I even use the kenra leave in conditioner and it does make my hair soft but then later it may feel hard. I decided that the proteing was the problem and decided to stop using any product with protein in it but think I made a big mistake. I went out yesterday and purchased some queen helene cholesterol thinking it didn't have protein but now believe that cholesterol is protein which it has. I first conditioner shampooed with vo5 strawberry conditioner then put in the cholesterol for 30 minutes with heat, rinsed, and at this time my hair felt softer and a lil moist so I put the dr miracles on my scalp air dried then sprayed in the scurl on my ends. later on I realized that my hair was dry again and kind of hard. I have recently completed a master cleanse and stopped taking all vitamins including epo,flax, multi and suspect that this may be helping my hair to dry but don't really want to believe it cause I only did this cleanse for 8 days total and have since been eating lots of salmon, some tuna, vegtables and taking some vitamins along with at least 8 8 oz cups of water a day. I do exercise and suspect that maybe my nape area touches sweat but I always wear a head band which pushes the hair upwards. My nape area is waaaaay drier than the top of my head. After seeing the results of yesterdays new products- cholesterol, scurl and cond wash, I have since purchased new stuff: Loreal natures therapy. So today since it's my usual wash day I shampooed with my 1st lather shampoo which is a clarifying shampoo from keracare, then I shampooed with my pantene daily moisture renewal shampoo then I put in the loreal , sat under the drier for 5 minutes per instructions. I could feel that it was not working cause my hair kind of felt hard like protein was being used. I rinsed and now I'm sitting here typing and have no idea what to do. I have placed an order for some more humecto in the 5 lb tub and I am waiting for it to get here to use that. I know that has worked in the past too. I used the clarifying shampoo by keracare cause I thought that I could possibly have product build up but now I don't think so. I have also recently installed a new water filter so I know it's not hard water causing my problem.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dmarie

brazenxvirtue

I think you should try streamlining the products. I've found the most important thing to be a super moisturizing conditioner. For me at least, a great conditioner keeps my hair soft the longest. Piling on moisturizers doesn't make up for a bad conditioning treatment. Maybe try switching conditioners... I know yours is a good one, but it isn't what your hair needs right now. Try giving it a few, deep, moisturizing treatments, cutting out some of the heavier styling products, and see if that helps at all. HTH

DMarie

what conditioner do you recommend?
I have also purchased a new aubrey organics conditioner to fight this dryness. Initially I thought it didn't have protein but it did. It was AO jojoba and aloe desert herb cond. I have the gpb also but that's protein as well.

As I sit here, my scalp is itiching. How can this be if I just shampooed with a clarifying shampoo?!!

dmarie

Last edited:

brazenxvirtue

(I sounded so much like a school marm in the last post, WTH?)

It's no secret I'm addicted to Aubrey Organics. Their Honeysuckle Rose conditioner, TO DIE FOR. *cough* But I've also had really good results with ORS Hair Mayo. And I don't know what your leave-in is, but Giovanni has given me and a couple of friends of mine lasting softness.

End of lesson.
:)

DMarie

does the ors hair mayo have protein?? I have been using cathy howse's moisturizer the cream. I have the spray dew but it doesn' t do anythin for me.

also does end of lesson mean you're not suggesting anything else. It kind of sounds like your dismissing me.

Anyone else??

dmarie

brazenxvirtue

Aww! I'm sorry! I wasn't dismissing you at all. I was just mocking how preachy I sounded.

I don't *think* ORS has protein, but I'm out of it so I can't check the bottle. I've heard good things about Cathy Howse, but I've never tried it so I can't speak there.

Honi

There is no board.
I think your hair just may be suffering from product overload. When I have buildup my best stuff don't even work anymore. You said in the beginning that you used Kenra, Keracare, S-curl, and jojoba oil and your hair was fine until you added new products on board. You may just have to go back to what worked before.

How about clarifying again to start with a clean slate, followed by Kenra Moist shampoo and marinating it in Kenra MC, a good leave in like Giovanni Direct leave in conditioner and a rollerset? You can then work the moisture level back into your hair by doing CO washes….I love Aubrey Organics White Camellia….slip and moisture galore.

Champagne_Wishes

A broke graduate
Honi said:
I think your hair just may be suffering from product overload. When I have buildup my best stuff don't even work anymore. You said in the beginning that you used Kenra, Keracare, S-curl, and jojoba oil and your hair was fine until you added new products on board. You may just have to go back to what worked before.

How about clarifying again to start with a clean slate, followed by Kenra Moist shampoo and marinating it in Kenra MC, a good leave in like Giovanni Direct leave in conditioner and a rollerset? You can then work the moisture level back into your hair by doing CO washes….I love Aubrey Organics White Camellia….slip and moisture galore.

I agree with Honi because my hair was like this not too long ago. I had to clarify and use my trusty moisturizing conditioner and I used some BBD Stretch to moisturize my hair through and through. By gosh it worked. That and washing my hair more often helped me and using products on a consistent basis.

DMarie

Honi said:

Thanks ladies!! I am soo happy someone else has responded.

HOni- do you think there is a possibility that the protein from the kenra can buildup? Also where can I get the giovanni leave in?

dmarie

scoobygirl

My hair goes through these dry spells too, especially close to touch up time. I am a recent Kendra user so maybe my experience can help. The 1st and 2nd time I used the Kendra poo and MC it worked great but went out of town and used it there and they poo dried out my hair and the MC couldn't help it. So your new water filter could have very well caused an effect on your products. When I came back home and used the products I got great results, better than the first time. And also the leave-in conditioner worked this time too.

Your hair seems like mine. Very difficult to stay moisturized, hates too much protein, certain areas drier than others. I've been through a million and one products trying to find the right combo to keep it soft and moisturized. I agree with the earlier posters, start with a clean slate and go back to what works. Do a deep condition and don't go to heavy on the styling prodcuts. You might also try conditioner washes. I never used to do them but I found that Kendra MC works very well for a conditioner wash.

Lucia

After washing well, try a thick moisterizing conditioner, preferably Aubrey organics, cholesterol, or something with shea butter in it and do a steam treatment with the cond in your hair.

DMarie

Can someone list the ingredients to the aubrey white camella conditioner? Also is this considered a moisturizing conditioner or protein? I don't have any products with shea butter. I use to have some kenra intensive conditioner (the 6 oz one )with the different oils but ran out a while ago. Do you think the shea butter can be found at sally's?? If I go back there it will be the fourth time within 1 week.

scoobygirl- how can a new water filter cause dry hair? I especially changed out the old one to prevent this from happening. You can only use a filter for soo long before replacing it.

Well, to give an update: my hair still isn't soft. It feels better but I wouldn't say moisturized. After I clarified this morning, shampooed, and applied the loreal natures therapy with 5 minute heat, I let it air dry mostly then I put cathy howse creme conditioner on it and detangled. Once dry it actually felt easier to comb and felt better and looked better. I also put some jojoba oil on my ends while combing. I am still looking to get it soft. So I'll press on.

thanks all.

dmarie

brazenxvirtue

White Camellia is one of the best....

Organic Aloe Replenishes moisture

Wheat Germ Oil Nourishes & protects

INGREDIENTS: Coconut Fatty Acid Cream Base, Organic Aloe Vera, White Camellia Oil, Wheat Germ Oil; Extracts of Fennel, Hops, Balm Mint, Mistletoe, Camomile and Yarrow; Organic Geranium Oil, Organic Rosemary Oil, Organic Sage Oil, Carrot Oil, Aubrey's Preservative (Citrus Seed Extract, Vitamins A, C and E).

DMarie

Thanks ladies!!

The camellia ao conditioner almost has the same ingredients as my ao jojoba and aloe desert herb conditioner. But my conditioner has jojoba oil instead of the camellia oil and mine has lactalbumin which I think is a milk protein, no geranium oil and mine has an essential oil blend of cedar, grapefruit, rose geranium, and lavender. Everything else is the same. I guess I bought the wrong one.

Today I did another conditioner wash with vos strawberries, deep conditioned with loreal nature therapy again for 10 minutes instead of the 5 directed on the jar, put in cathy howse creme moisturizer, let dry almost completely then put on some wgho.<-------THIS is what I have recently stopped using for whatever reason and once I started to put it on, my hair immediately started to feel soft. I came across this oil waaaay in the back of my stash of stuff and unfortunately it's my last, almost empty bottle. Sallys has it but I think they want waaaaaaaaaaay more for it compared to purchasing it online. Online the more you buy the cheaper each bottle cost (or atleast that was the deal when I purchased it). Only I can't remember where that was. Anyone know?? Anyway,,,I don't think I'll ever stop using this oil again.

thanks again,

dmarie

Kiadodie

You know, I just went through this where my hair was so dry no matter what I tried. I think my hair got dry from too much protein and color.

Then last week I switched my shampoo to Creme of Nature. I used to use this years ago. Well, after I used that, my hair was soft as usual. It was great! I can't believe I forgot how great this shampoo used to make my hair feel. It's VERY moisturizing.

Why don't you clarify with something gentle and then use the Creme of Nature shampoo? I think that might help. It helped me big time.

Lovelylocs

My hair was very dry from having a color over relaxed hair. So, I stopped washing it so much w/shampoo b/c my hair would just feel dry afterward. Instead, I pretreat my hair w/amla oil and then wash w/Suave conditioner in lavender. After my daily conditioner only washes I do my deep moisturizing treatments (sometimes two or three days in a row) Now, my hair seems to be just about back on track, but I still have some work to do and I need to do a protein treatment soon
HTH

locabouthair

I have the same problem as you. No matter how many conditioners I try my hair always stays dry. I have been doing some research and I found out that dry hair can be caused by a lack of omega fatty acids. It makes sense to me because i don't eat healthy. Foods like salmon, tuna, mackerel, cod liver oil, and flaxseed contain have the fatty acids. I also heard that drinking a lot of water helps too. HTH