Help! Microbraids with glue!

valenciab

Hello everyone

I recently got microbraids (about two weeks ago). I was told by the stylist that she was not putting glue in my hair. I fould out today that she did put glue in my hair. I tried to take one down and my hair is glued to the artificial hair. I was able to take another braid down with breakage and with glue left in my hair. Is there any way I can remove the glue? She used nail glue. My hair is about 12 inches and the glue is about 4 inches from the scalp. I am not able to take most of the braids down without breakage because of the glue. Please help!!

WomanlyCharm

She used NAIL GLUE?! Are you kidding me?! :mad::mad:

There are bonding glue removers you should be able to find at the BSS, that may work. Also oil may help loosen up the glue, I've heard of people using regular cooking oil to remove bonded weaves in a pinch. Just DON'T PULL IT, work the stuff into the glued area and let it sit on there as long as it has to.

In the meantime, you need to pay a visit to this ***** who put this crap in your hair, and let her know in no uncertain terms that you will not be using her services again, and plan on letting everyone else know what a lier and a terrible so-called beautician she is.

lnhair

I have gotten braids with nail glue. To remove the glue i wash my hair once a week with shampoo and conditioner, so by the time i am ready to remove the braids the glue has broken down and it easily able to work the glue. The glue will start to crumble and separate fromt the hair and you will be able to take the braids out without much of a hassle.

If you really need to take the braids out now, use lots of conditioner to loosen up the glue.

***This is your last resort, use some rubbing alcohol to remove the glue and then do a really good deep condition after getting these braids out. I have done this before and it has worked. But only apply it to where the glue is. I use a q-tip to apply it to that particular spot.

LadyPaniolo

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am SO sorry this happened to you! You must be so heartbroken and betrayed over this abuse of your trust.

I don't know how to remove the nail glue without severely damaging your own hair. I hope somebody can help you out, I wish I were more helpful.

Best of luck to you

YUMMY28

I ve never heard of using nail glue in your hair isnt nail glue similar to krazy glue ? if you get a lot of breakage as a end result i would contact a lawyer
what kind of braids do you have why did she have to use glue

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I would be uber pissed right now!!! I am hoping that the tips the ladies shared in this thread work for you. O/T but how was she able to do all the braids without you realizing she was using glue on each one?

Nonie

YUMMY28 said:
I ve never heard of using nail glue in your hair isnt nail glue similar to krazy glue ? if you get a lot of breakage as a end result i would contact a lawyer
what kind of braids do you have why did she have to use glue

I'm wondering the same thing. (I know this isn't helping but I'm just floored by this!)

Anyway, since there's a kind of weaving that involves gluing the fake hair to your own, I imagine there's a removal product for that too. Glue can be so harmful to you if absorbed through your skin. WTH was she thinking? What's her number coz I have a few questions for her?:mad:

lnhair

I know people who use nail glue. You do not put the glue in the person's hair but you braid the extension hair down past where the actual person's real hair is and then apply glue to extension to seal it from unraveling. The glue should only be on the extension hair but every once in a while glue can get on a person's real hair. If she (the stylist) put glue on soemone's real hair for every single braid that she did then it was intentional.

Sosoothing

Glamourous said:
How do you keep micro braids in without using glue to keep them from unraveling?

I braid my own hair and simply braid the hair all the way to the end. It never comes unravelled. It takes longer but its worth it for me.

Nonie

Ditto what Lkaysgirl said about braiding to the end. With human hair, the hair unravels up to where your hair stops, particularly when the extension hair is very new. But if you wear it as long as I do or reuse it, the unraveling lessens. I usually notice the unraveling mostly after I wash. I took pics the other day so I can share with anyone that asks about washing human hair braids and what to expect.

I don't put rubber bands at the ends of my braids nor do I put them in several big plaits prior to washing (Two steps I suggested to someone who wanted to know how to lessen the frizzes caused during a wash), yet my braids don't really look that bad afterwards...well not all of them. So if you do take those steps I suggested, the braids would look even better than mine. One other thing I do is focus on washing my scalp and only get to squeeze the length of the extensions as shampoo runs through it during the rinse stage while the extensions hang down. I repeat this till the suds look clean. When I condition, I apply it to the length of the braids up to where my hair ends, not bothering so much with applying to the base.

Anyway, this is how my hair looks after a wash without any precautions having been taken:

I should point out that I'm natural and type 4 so my hair when braided holds well, and I guess texture does make a difference as to how well the length of your hair will stay braided. But definitely braiding to the end does serve to keep the braids looking tidy longer.

If you use synthetic hair, you can either have the stylist singe the ends after braiding the length of the braid, making sure she knows what she's doing so she doesn't burn your hair. I've also heard that dipping the ends of synthetic braids in hot water helps set them.

ETA: Another reason why you might not want to use glue is that it probably renders the extension hair unusable, without you cutting off that glued end. That seems wasteful to me; but then again I am probably too much of a cheapo. :lol:

Last edited:

ak46

valenciab said:
Hello everyone

I recently got microbraids (about two weeks ago). I was told by the stylist that she was not putting glue in my hair. I fould out today that she did put glue in my hair. I tried to take one down and my hair is glued to the artificial hair. I was able to take another braid down with breakage and with glue left in my hair. Is there any way I can remove the glue? She used nail glue. My hair is about 12 inches and the glue is about 4 inches from the scalp. I am not able to take most of the braids down without breakage because of the glue. Please help!!

OMG Girl....that is the exact SAME thing that happened to me :eek:. I tried everything....I had to cut all my hair off...The pic is in my siggy. I was able to get the braids off though, I used acetone to try to dissolve the glue. Maybe that'll work. She used SUPER GLUE on mine though...I was sooooo MAD:mad: I hope you're able to get the glue out...good luck.

texasqt

Glamourous said:
How do you keep micro braids in without using glue to keep them from unraveling?

I usually braid past my hair and tie a knot. The kind of knot you would make when tying a man's tie or knotting the end of thread for sewing. Take a smaller section of the loose hair at the end of the braid, loop it around the braid and tuck it under. You have to practice to get it right. Once I make the first knot, I tie a second knot just with the smaller section and make sure it gets tighten against the first knot. You don't go around the entire braid the second time. This keeps it from loosening up. When you get ready to take them out, all you have to do is cut the second knot. I wish I had pics but this is what works for me. The hair may stick out from the knot, but that can be fixed with going over it with a flat iron. Even if you don't do that, eventually the hair from the knot will relax.

Step 1 to 4 here shows how to do the first knot
http://www.shop-usa.info/Half_Windsor/half_windsor.html

The Arbor Knot here shows it exactly. Except the second knot is tightened as close as possible to the first.
http://www.tnoutdoorsmen.com/knots.htm

Hope this helps...is that what HTH stands for???

YUMMY28

Glamourous said:
i used to always go to ny to get my hair braided and they knot the ends of each braid so they wont unravel
this chick was jealous of her hair

DeepBluSea

My braider ties the knot as well.

I think this is just another example of sacrificing hair health for convenience. There is a video on youTube of a lady who had this done to her. She had weave extensions and the stylist used nail glue instead or hair glue. The lazy stylist said she used nail glue because it dries faster than the hair glue. When her hair started to grow it couldn't "breath" so the weave just got tighter and tighter. The unsuspecting customer lost most of her hair when she tried to take it down.

I don't still don't get why one would use nail glue when they make hair glue for that specific purpose? I would report her. I hope the tips you have been given work.

gimbap

Last time I got my hair in microbraids, they used nail glue too. When I took them out, I coated my entire head in conditioner. This caused them to swell and soften the glue. It was much easier to take them out.

Neish222

That happened to me too!! I was so mad I ended up cutting alot of my hair out. That was this time last year. It grew all back and plus some. The stylist told me the same exact thing "O the glue is'nt on your hair". I went back up to that shop and acted a fool lol. I would try the conditioner idea for a couple days to see if that works. I hope you get them out without any damage.

valenciab

Thanks ladies for all the replies. I felt aweful last night. I saw her using the glue but she assured me that it was not on my hair. She said she was using the glue to keep it from unraveling. But instead of braiding past my hair she glued it about 4 inches down and my hair is 12 inches. I feel stupid for trusting her. I hope the conditioner helps. I plan to try it today and continue washing and conditioning once a week for the next 4 weeks. (Thanks Inhair and ooBrittany). I sprayed the glued areas with EVOO.(Thanks Womanly Charm). I tried 2 different types of bonding glue remover but the nail glue is too strong. Does acetone harm your hair and will it dissovle the glue? I called Sally's and they said that was the only thing that might work. Thanks everyone for all the help and support.

YUMMY28

valenciab said:
Thanks ladies for all the replies. I felt aweful last night. I saw her using the glue but she assured me that it was not on my hair. She said she was using the glue to keep it from unraveling. But instead of braiding past my hair she glued it about 4 inches down and my hair is 12 inches. I feel stupid for trusting her. I hope the conditioner helps. I plan to try it today and continue washing and conditioning once a week for the next 4 weeks. (Thanks Inhair and ooBrittany). I sprayed the glued areas with EVOO.(Thanks Womanly Charm). I tried 2 different types of bonding glue remover but the nail glue is too strong. Does acetone harm your hair and will it dissovle the glue? I called Sally's and they said that was the only thing that might work. Thanks everyone for all the help and support.
acetone is very good for dissolving nail glue (i used to use this to remove my tips) but i dont know how good it would be for you hair if you do this i would condition maybe over night or something i hope everything works out for you

Keedah

You can definately get a lawyer. In most states braiders are unlicensed because they are not using chemicals. She used a chemical in your hair and at that it was the wrong one.

Covergirl5906

I also believe that she intentionally put that glue in your hair.....A lot of braiders use nail glue to prevent unraveling..... and I have had it done BUT it is only added to the extension hair which is braided way past your real hair to ensure that it does not get in your hair....If you hair is 12 inches and she put the glue at 4 inches that mess was intentional....:mad:

hothair

Glamourous said:

I've never heard of using glue to seal, usually you're using synthetic hair so to seal it after braiding the ends and length are dipped in very hot water, old school time they use to burn the very end of the braid, but never glue. The hot water sealing works pretty well and also softens the synthetic hair.

To the original poster: sorry about your experience but next time insist they seal only with hot water.

rosalindb

hothair said:
I've never heard of using glue to seal, usually you're using synthetic hair so to seal it after braiding the ends and length are dipped in very hot water, old school time they use to burn the very end of the braid, but never glue. The hot water sealing works pretty well and also softens the synthetic hair.

To the original poster: sorry about your experience but next time insist they seal only with hot water.
This is how my ends were sealed when I used to have extensions (both cornrows and individuals)