Help! Itchy scalp,Oily dandruff

HealthyHair35

I am experiencing a very itchy scalp along with oily dandruff. The hair in that area is thinning and I see a couple of small areas where I see no hair follicules. Anyone have any ideas about this? Thanks.

MzTami

Hellerrrr
you may have alopecia areta(sp), but I am no doctor. I use to have it really bad when I would perm my hair and then braid it right after. I still get it every now and then but not as bad as before.

When it first started, I was like, "WTF" I had quarter size bald spots. I went to the dermatologist he would give me steriod shots in my scalp, and my hair grew back fast. He said it was from too much stress on my scalp, but who knows.

If I were you, I would try the light sulfur 8 or selsum blue shampoo.

Transitioning
Last relaxer- 07/02/2005
Texture-2b/medium???4b/medium ( I haven't figured it out yet)
Length- 2 to 3 inches pass shoulder
Goal-shoulder length 100% natural healthy hair.

I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn’t, than live my life as if there isn’t and die to find out there is!- unknown

http://public.fotki.com/mztami
password: mztami

HealthyHair35

Thanks,MzTami. I have an appointment with the dermatologist next week. Did the shots hurt? And how long did it take for your hair to fill back in? Thanks. Have anymore of you ladies experienced this?

miracle

HealthyHair35 said:
I am experiencing a very itchy scalp along with oily dandruff. The hair in that area is thinning and I see a couple of small areas where I see no hair follicules. Anyone have any ideas about this? Thanks.

I use to have a problem with an itchy scalp & dandruff, but my scalp was severely dry instead of oily. No matter how much I washed, conditioned, oiled, etc., it was still dry and flaky. I saw a dermatologist and he started me on prescription strength Nizoral shampoo, and it cleared up in a matter of weeks. Unfortunately, I couldn't stay on it for the required time because of an adverse drug reaction, so I followed up with KeraCare Dry Itchy Scalp Shampoo & EQP Scalp Stimulating Shampoo. Both were excellent at keeping the dandruff at bay (and gave an awesome tingle :love: ), and I haven't had any further scalp problems/irritations.

MzTami

Hellerrrr
No the shots didn't hurt me, besides I had big bald spots and I wanted my hair to grow back, so I didn't care. My hair grew back within weeks, it didn't take long at all! He also gave me some creme to put on my bald spots. I can't remember the name, but I know it was a steriod. It's been about 11 years ago, excuse my memory.

HTH!

Miss*Tress

Off-topic: MzTami, I just wanted to say that the little girl (your daughter?) in your avatar is adorable. The expression on her face is priceless.

Sorry, HealthyHair35, back to our regularly scheduled programme...

HealthyHair35

No problem MissBiss, she is a cutie. Thanks for the advice MzTami and miracle. I'll check back after my appt. to let you know what the doc said.

MzTami

Hellerrrr
Thank you MissBliss. That's my Angel Cake and Daddy's little girl. She doesn't like to take professional pictures, so I have a digital camera and snap whenever she lets me.

Transitioning
Last relaxer- 07/02/2005
Texture-2b/medium
Length- shoulder

I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn’t, than live my life as if there isn’t and die to find out there is!- unknown

MzTami

Hellerrrr
Good Luck HealthyHair35. Let me know how it goes, I will be looking for your post.

Transitioning
Last relaxer- 07/02/2005
Texture-2b/medium
Length- shoulder