Help! Is it okay to perm my hair after removing my weave?

Caligrl

Hi Ladies: I've been wearing a weave for a year to give my hair a rest and grow it out. I've now done both so feel ready to take it out and go back to a perm but have heard that perming it now will cause it to break off and I'll lose the length I've been working on the last year. Is that true? Any way to prevent that from happening? Also, any suggestions on the type of perm I should use?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Chameleonchick

I don't have any recommendations for relaxers. How soon are you talking about though. I don't think you should put a relaxer in for a MINIMUM of two weeks. I would do thorough Deep Conditions every week until you get a relaxer first, to make sure you hair is in good condition before you do so.

Caligrl

Thanks for your response. I plan to take it out by August. I hadn't thought to wait awhile in between... Could I wear it in braids while I wait or does that defeat the purpose? Not sure what to do with my hair in between... Thx!

Chameleonchick

I would not put in braids. You hair will need to breathe for a while. You could braid it at night and then undo the braids in the morning so your hair gets the oxygen it needs. I would wear pretty scarves and keep my hair super moisturized underneath for the time being.

I would not put in braids. You hair will need to breathe for a while. You could braid it at night and then undo the braids in the morning so your hair gets the oxygen it needs. I would wear pretty scarves and keep my hair super moisturized underneath for the time being.

I agree with Chameleonchick, you should let your hair breathe for a little before perming.

bermudabeauty

My stylist recommends relaxing the hair two weeks after weave or braids because the hair is weak. I will share my experience with you. I personally use gentle treatment relaxer and I always get a relaxer the day or the day after I used to take my weave out and I would have no problem. :blush: I would base my scalp and I wouldn't maniputlate my scalp days before taking my weave down. I have healthy strong hair and no breakage. But I know not everyone can do this. So I DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT YOU DO THIS!:nono: