HELP!! How to co-wash newgrowth and.....

Missi

without tearing hair at the demarcation line.

Im 3 months post relaxer and i'm trying to stretch out to 6 months but it seems like my co-washing is ripping my hair out.

HELP!!!

I normally wash my hair in 4 sections but it seems like manipulating my hair in the shower w/ my denman brush & VO5 conditioner is no help...

How do you ladies co-wash with lost of new growth with having breakage and/or making the detangling a lot more smoother....

I can't take it right now

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
wow, im am also almost 3 months post relaxer, and i use 4 sections too, but dont use a brush!!! fingers only, while moving very slow!

eta: my hair is also braided in these 4-6 sections, not loose

KinkyGenius

I don't do any manipulating when I co-wash. I co-wash on Wednesdays, so I just put the conditioner on dry hair, put a shower cap on, workout for about an hr to "steam" the conditioner in and then apply a lil more conditioner once in the shower and rinse. The water pressure helps to detangle a bit. Depending on how I style my hair after that I'll either just dry with the scarf method and bun until wash day (Saturday) or I'll detangle like I normally do on damp hair with leave-ins applied.

If your hair isn't agreeing with co-washing though, I'd say stop until you have maybe researched a technique that you can use on several weeks post hair.

MissLawyerLady

I've never done a stretch as long as you have, but when I co-wash I just slather my wet hair with condish, very gently smooth it through my strands, leave it on while I finish my shower, rinse, moisturize and seal with oil and slick it back into a wet bun. No combing or manipulation whatsoever. HTH

Nerd.

I think the denman in the shower may be the culprit.

To detangle in the shower (for me) is a HORRIBLE IDEA. Possibly one of the worse thing I could do. If you have fine hair like myself, any little thing will make it snap. So I finger comb first, wash and condition in 4-6 sections, and THEN moisturize and detangle with my Jilbere.

I save a lot of hair.
I think you should just use common sense. If your hair is breaking while manipulating it the shower, then you need to find an alternative way that your hair would like to be detangled. Believe it or not some people are better off detangling dry with product. Perhaps you could try this as well? :yep:

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
I don't do any manipulating when I co-wash. I co-wash on Wednesdays, so I just put the conditioner on dry hair, put a shower cap on, workout for about an hr to "steam" the conditioner in and then apply a lil more conditioner once in the shower and rinse. The water pressure helps to detangle a bit. Depending on how I style my hair after that I'll either just dry with the scarf method and bun until wash day (Saturday) or I'll detangle like I normally do on damp hair with leave-ins applied.

If your hair isn't agreeing with co-washing though, I'd say stop until you have maybe researched a technique that you can use on several weeks post hair.

@ bold: exactly! i leave the DC on for 3 hours then rinse out while still in the braids. perfect method.

Missi

Thank you....I wanted to co-wash more because i wanted to exercise more. I use 4 ponytails so I can ensure all my new growth gets conditioner on it so its soft and not hard.

I do like doing oil rinses but I still struggle with detangling easily. I detangle EXTREMELY easy in 4 sections but when it comes to getting it into a ponytail.....I struggle so much

Gleek

I would use a wide tooth comb instead of the denman, when I use the Denmen I am already detangled. I modified mine too, I got the idea from a blog but I can't recall which one.

FoxyMoxie

Have you considered trying the Crown and Glory method. You would put your hair in four plates and wash and condition that way. I haven't tried it but ladies on the forum use this method to spare themselves of breakage. If you use the search engine you will probably find more info on it. HTH

Missi

Have you considered trying the Crown and Glory method. You would put your hair in four plates and wash and condition that way. I haven't tried it but ladies on the forum use this method to spare themselves of breakage. If you use the search engine you will probably find more info on it. HTH

I currently wash in 4 sections...which is very gentle IMO...when it comes to washing my 4 sections into 1 ponytail (to bun)....I find the most problems

Should I be airdrying in the 4 sections????

Missi

Thank you ladies...I think I fixed my problem. I will workout today w/ oil my scalp.
- Lightly finger comb my hair into 4 sections w/ conditioner.
- Shampoo scalp w/ diluted poo
- Add VO5 & oil
- Rinse & detangle.
_Air dry in 4 sections applying leave in and castor oil
_Baggy in a bun.

Hope this work...this is my 1st stretch over 3 months