HELP!! Hard, Crunchy Hair

No they wont cause protein overload. But if u already have protein overload its best to give them a break till u get ur proper moisture/protein balance back.
My hair is protein sensitive as well but my hair loves saa and virgin coco oil
What I do is monitor my protein in my shampoos and conditions.
I only use the products that have medium to heavy protein when my hair needs a boast like once a month or after every re-touch or only prepoo with them sometimes. But saa I can use all the time as well as virgin coco oil.

but regularly, i only use protein once a week other than that i stay away from it....ohh, i know what it is. protectin my hair with saa, then doin the pre-neutralize protein treatment. i protein'ed until my hair felt hard...and it's only been about a week since, so i know the prob now! thanks!

:nono: My hair was no good today. I spritzed it with distilled water and used some unrefined mango/shea butter mixed with Avocado oil last night. Softer, but still felt like I was shredding with the comb.

I'm under the dryer now with AO Honeysuckle Rose on dry hair. I'll baggie overnight and do a wet bun tomorrow...this was a disaster :ohwell:. I can't even enjoy my touch up.

:nono: My hair was no good today. I spritzed it with distilled water and used some unrefined mango/shea butter mixed with Avocado oil last night. Softer, but still felt like I was shredding with the comb.

I'm under the dryer now with AO Honeysuckle Rose on dry hair. I'll baggie overnight and do a wet bun tomorrow...this was a disaster :ohwell:. I can't even enjoy my touch up.

psst...steam it...

hm. since you may not have all the stuff (i personally have a steam cap) i guess a hot towel under the baggie could do for now

It may take a couple weeks of a good moisturizing pre-poo and DC for ur hair to get back to normal.
I know when my hair was in a protein overload bind, DCing with Kenra MC, Redken Smooth Down Butter Treat or Redken All soft Heavy cream worked like a charm.:yep:
AO Honeysuckle Rose didnt work well enough for me.

Poor sweetie. I completely understand how you feel. I OD'ed on protein so my hair's hard and crunchy too. But I've been here before so I know that it'll get better. The thing is to have patience and keep moisturizing. I got some awesome tips from these wonderful ladies when I started my thread. Here's what my new regime looks like:
-- Daily co-washing with purely moisturizing products (Herbal Essences None of Your Frizziness is da bomb!)

-- Leave-in: LCHF ladies told me Elucence MB is a good one but I still havent tracked it down. For now I'm using BioInfusion's Olive Oil leave-in. Got it from Walgreens.

-- Seal with Olive oil

-- In the middle of the day I spritz my hair with Ojon Revitalizing mist to touch up my moisturization. Yeah, yeah that sounds kinda obsessive but I have a spray key chain :)spinning: wacko) which also helps smooth down my curls when the humdity puffs my hair out.

-- Baggy overnight with warm Olive Oil.

-- DC 1-2 times a week.

Like I said I've been here before. It took months for my hair to recover. I can't tell you exactly how long b/c I stopped obssessing over it & boom! One day I had soft hair again.

Hope that helps. Goodluck, hon. Please keep us posted.

Last edited:
I agree with the other ladies that it was too much protein. When I had dry, crunchy hair and nothing seemed to work, what turned it around was using porosity control and then moisturizing with glycerin mixed with water, conditioner, and oils. I also consistently moisturized and sealed (before I left the house and before bed) several days in a row, and baggied at least once that particular week.

**UPDATE**

I wanted to update the status of my hard, crunchy hair & hopefully this may help you, cleve.

I co-washed this morning with Aubrey's Honeysuckle rose. OH MY! I have to tell you that even my hard, cruchy hair could not resist this conditioner. When I massaged a generous amt of the conditioner in, it melted my hair like butter - so soft & slippery. I could actually run my hands through my hair in the shower.

After my co-wash, my hair was still soft & detangled (left a bit of the conditioner in & sealed with castor oil). I lost very little hair as I combed, where a few days ago I was experiencing tons of breakage and a tender scalp from detangling my matted hair.

Right now, my hair is airdrying but even when I touch it, i can feel the softness. I know my OD is not fixed but I'm excited that I've found something that's truly restoring my moisture & making detangling much easier. B/c the crunchy state of my hair was causing a lot of breakage when I detangled.

Try this conditioner. I hope it works for you.

Last edited:
:grin: It took a WHOLE WEEK of nightly pre pooing with Honeysuckle Rose and cowashing in the morning, then wearing a wet bun saturated in more conditioner (HE LTR) and my moisture balance is back :yep:.

I pre poo'd for the last time Thursday night then washed with CON green Friday. DC'd with Biolage Hydrating Balm and then rollerset. All is good now...but it stormed like heck yesterday and I frizzed out :look: I can still tell my shaft is full of protein, but I'm glad to be back on track with moisture!! It'll take a few more weeks of serious DC to get it back to its complete normal state. Thanks so much ladies for all your advice!!

Last edited:
Back