Help, Dry Hair

A

AmilLion

Please help me. The weather here in NY is extremely dry, cold and it's been windy for a couple of days. My hair isn't reacting well. Nothing I do to my hair is assisting in retaining moisture. Every morning I spray my hair with Ultra Black Hair Dew and seal it with an oil. I follow this procedure at night as well. I tell you, my hair is soaking up water by the minute now.

Last night, I roller sat my hair, and it was near dry within 10 minutes (mind you, it was soaking wet when I began)!!!!!!

An addition to my hair being extremely Dry, I'm 9 weeks into the relaxer that was applied in November. The new growth is coarse, hard and probably an inch to an inch and a half.

ANy suggestions? Nothing seems to be taking to my hair, the S-Curl activator, Ultra Black Hair, Elucence Shine, Keracare Essential oil, Elasta QP Mango Butter. Nothing is WORKING!

auntybe

Have you tried a pre shampoo treatment: I use jojoba oil and olive oil. I used to apply from roots to ends. (I don't relax my hair anymore). Now that I am wearing a weave I apply to the hair that is braided under the tracks and then I shampoo and then I give my self a moisturizing treatment with Humectress of Elucence Condiontionr for 20-30 mins under the dryer. I spray a curl moisturizer on my hair in the morning and in the evenings(the hair under the weave)because the air in my office is very drying to me.

HTH

auntybe

sweetcocoa

The only thing that seems to be working for me is no heat...airdying only. I did a wet set last night and dried it under the dryer. Already I feel my hair drying out...so I'm back to rinsing and airdrying this evening.

Imogin3

Hi AmilLion;

I live in NY as well and usually have really dry hair. However I am using as a final rinse (leave in) a mixture of sage tea and organic apple cider...I make the tea like I normally would...Let it steep for about twenty min...then I add two table spoon cider to it...I make enough to last the week...I have being doing this for the past 6 days and it has worked magic...really moist hair. Hope this helps.

Allandra

I'm having the same problem. I know it's due to this crazy cold weather. Last winter was nothing like this. Please let us know what you decide to try.

Dionne

Can you keep your hair wrapped up at all during the day? I just started a new high school/college type program and we can put head wraps on. I keep it wrapped up today because of the freezing rain and wind. Have you tried the baggie method or not using some shampoo for a while? When all else fails call and ask Marvin.

Allandra

SweetCocoa,

Rinsing daily does help my hair with dryness. I just didn't want to have to rinse as much as I normally do (when the weather isn't THIS cold/crazy). Oh well. It looks like I'm just gonna have to do it.

AmilLion,

While I'm still in the shower, I add my leave-in conditioner (Kiehl's or Elucence) and then I add a small amount of oil to my hair after that. This always makes my hair so nice and soft (even after airdrying). Although in this weather, it seems as though I'm gonna have to do it just about every evening. /images/graemlins/mad.gif Because my hair is also pretty darn thirsty during this cold weather.

pebbles

I'm experiencing the same problem here. It's all of 6 degrees outside today and windy! Need I say more? I haven't found anything that keeps my hair moisturized all day, so what I do is carry a small bottle of dew in my bag. Through out the day, I lightly mist my hair. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif I know, that might be a bit excessive, but I haven't found anything else that works. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

MissM

I have been continuing to wash my hair 2x a week and I've been using the Elasta QP Mango Butter, it's got water listed as the main ingredient but it doesn't leave your hair damp..it actually feels moisturized. And I've been wearing my hair up a whole lot.

Kitkat

Amil Lion, you're not alone. I looked at my hair this evening when I got home from work. Most of it had a nice shine going on, but the ends looked fried!! And I put a mixture of carrot oil and WGO (thanks LondonDiva!) on the ends this morning. I have some shea butter that I use when I need extra extra moisture, so I grabbed that and concentrated it on the ends. I agree that the cold weather here in NY is probably the culprit. I don't think my ends have ever looked that tow' up before.

SweetNic_JA

AmilLion,
I was having the same problem a few weeks ago. I got rid of it by applying a mixture of pure castor oil and leav-in conditioner before I set my hair. It helped a lot.
I live in CT and I have to deal with the same weather so I know what you're going through...To think, I used to treat my hair so badly. I can't imagine how i ended up with hair at the end of the winter.

Anyway, give the castor oil a try. Some other ladies on the board have given it a try and it's working well for them too.

HTHs

Paris Belle

I'm here in New York too and my hair gets dry too. What I find is really helping me is greasing my scalp. If you are opposed to grease (and I do use a light one), try oiling your scalp with oil or even with cream. Also, oiling or using moisturizers on the hair from root to end may help.

Quinny

My hair is natural. When I decide it has become too dry. I shampoo, ACV or lemon rinse. Deep condition and then rinse that out. Then I apply more leave in cream conditioner, olive oil, shea and whatever else my PJ hands have picked up in the recent months. I apply all that. Braid my hair in a few braids and sit under the hair dryer until hot (20 minutes or so). I did this last night and my hair is so soft. I had forgotten how nice it feels because it's been a while. I keep rinsing and adding the leave ins for a few days.

Q

NAY007

give the kerastase line a try. go for the mask for the driest hair (they have two or three different ones). this is the one that i mean
http://www.lookfantastic.com/cgi-bin/LookFantastic.storefront/3e2e3814051094062745d9cc1ee60611/Product/View/1057

maybe you should give this one a try also (i know i will /images/graemlins/smile.gif)
http://www.lookfantastic.com/cgi-bin/LookFantastic.storefront/3e2e3814051094062745d9cc1ee60611/Product/View/1232

or you can try this
http://www.lookfantastic.com/cgi-bin/LookFantastic.storefront/3e2e3814051094062745d9cc1ee60611/Product/View/1869

kerastase really works although it's very expensive imo. next time when it is time for me to buy some new products i will definitely get the mask again. i had it before and it is soooooo great. the whole line rocks /images/graemlins/wink.gif
good luck.

JerseyGirl

Did you read the cover of the Daily News? This has been the coldest winter in 3 years.

What I have been doing is the S-Curl method. Every morning, I saturate my hair with S-Curl, WGO, and oils. I pull my hair back into a ponytail and put Vaseline or Carol’s Daughter Healthy Butter on the ends and cover it with a plastic baggie and put on that ponytail clip. This has been very successful for me. I had notice that my daughter’s hair was dry and breaking so I braided that up and brought her a humidifier. Put a pot on water on your radiators to get some moisture in your house or by a humidifier. Wash your hair every three days. Deep conditioner and moisturize the hell out of your hair. DRINK PLENTY OF WATER.

The season is going to change soon. Look out your window at 5:00 p.m. today. The sun is still up. So we only have 6 more weeks of this winter. GOOD LUCK!

A

AmilLion

Thanks a lot ladies for all of your posts. I believe with my hair, as (I forgot who mentioned), but it seems as if Spray my hair with moisturizer during the day will be the ONLY thing that will help. My hair soaks up soo much moisture and my hair doesn't like much oil as it will weigh down heavily. I'm going to give this a try tomorrow and hopefully this will help. I will keep in consideration everyone elses remedies if this fails. This a post worth printing! /images/graemlins/look.gif

Thank you all very much for your kind replies /images/graemlins/smile.gif

NayNay

Hey AmilLion! Long time no POST (SMILE) Good to see you back........
but Girl I feel you on the dryness. What I do is similiar to Jersey Girl I try to add water to my hair. I only air dry, no heat at all. I use a humidifer and I also use the Caruso Steamer on a daily basis. Do you have a liquid leave in you could use as well and always always always have ALL of your hair under your hat. Also try wrapping up your hair or wear a satin bonnet soon as you get home so that the heat (gas or electric) won't assist in drying out your hair UNLESS you have a humidifier running!
Take care Girly!