I need some help with my fiance's hair...

SCarolinaGirl

He has very dry 4b hair that it about 2 inches long. It shrinks to about half an inch. I've been deep conditioning his hair 2x a week and having him use moisturizer and oil daily. Nothing is helping, his hair is always dry and hard. What can he put on his hair to help make it softer and easier to comb. Natural ladies please help us... thanks!

1babydimple

My dad's hair was suffering from dryness and shedding I started him with a quick spritz with a braid spray or remember "stay so fro" (brown bottle) LOL that's my dad's personal favorite he's a 4b/c also. Dad uses the cheapest poo & con (whatever is on sale) can't convince him to change, but the spray has controlled the dryness and stopped the shedding. His hair is super soft now.

darlingdiva

Maybe a leave-in sealed with castor oil?

Or a leave-in and castor oil?

I know that Giovanni Direct Leave In is really popular in this board, as is Hawaiian Silky 14-n-1.

Definitely consider the castor oil. I'm a 4a/b & it always leaves my hair soft & easy to glide through.

HTH!

laurend

I think sometimes what we think is dry hair really isn't dry. Case in point, My sis told me her daughter's hair is very dry and she doesn't know what to do. My niece's hair 3c and 4 something. Anyway, she asked me to wash and twist it, that's when I realized my sister was judging my niece hair with her hair. In fact it was my smooth and not dry at all. You have to keep moisturizing your friend's hair and make sure the first ingredient on the bottle is water or it isn't a moisturizer.

Nonie

Moisturized hair is soft, IMO.
Anyway, I will tell you what works for me when I wear my afro out: S Curl No-Drip Activator spray. After shampoo and conditioner, towel dry the hair and spray S Curl into your hand, rub palms together and apply. Hair should be moist and easy to comb. At night have him wear a cap to bed. But if that's not manly, then Saran wrap under a doo-rag. (I won't tell if he won't). Next day he will not need to apply S Curl again, but his hair will not only be soft and easy to comb, it will be shiny and very healthy looking. I will show you what a difference this simply regimen made to my Mom's hair when I get to a PC.

Oil makes my hair hard. Shea butter feels great on application but hardens my hair later. Creams feel good on application then not so great later. S Curl and Hawaiian Silky keep my hair moist and soft w/o making it sticky and I only need apply after a wash. They are the only products I use when I wear my hair out.

angenoir

Moisturized hair is soft, IMO.
Anyway, I will tell you what works for me when I wear my afro out: S Curl No-Drip Activator spray. After shampoo and conditioner, towel dry the hair and spray S Curl into your hand, rub palms together and apply. Hair should be moist and easy to comb. At night have him wear a cap to bed. But if that's not manly, then Saran wrap under a doo-rag. (I won't tell if he won't). Next day he will not need to apply S Curl again, but his hair will not only be soft and easy to comb, it will be shiny and very healthy looking. I will show you what a difference this simply regimen made to my Mom's hair when I get to a PC.

Oil makes my hair hard. Shea butter feels great on application but hardens my hair later. Creams feel good on application then not so great later. S Curl and Hawaiian Silky keep my hair moist and soft w/o making it sticky and I only need apply after a wash. They are the only products I use when I wear my hair out.

Nonie, do you find that s-curl leaves build up in your hair?

Nonie

Nonie, do you find that s-curl leaves build up in your hair?

No, I don't. I guess I don't use that much. I only apply it after towel drying my hair, or sometimes to damp hair so it's comb-able. After that, I wear the 'fro and let it air dry. By evening, it might feel a bit dry-ish. If it does, I apply a little more, but just to get it moist not wet. I plait it for the night and then baggy (sleep in a plastic cap). In the AM, it feels damp. I undo the plaits and comb it while damp and style. This time it doesn't feel dry. Even after the moisture from the baggy is gone, it just feels moist without being sticky. I don't even worry about leaving marks on walls when I lean back. I don't apply anymore S Curl till wash day. I just baggy nightly. I believe that because I don't use anything else, and because I don't keep applying it has something to do with me not having build up or getting that icky stickiness people complain about.

Here are pics of my mom's hair before S Curl. It was dry and I believe she has some heat damage:

This was her hair after shampooing and conditioning with Elucence and then applying S Curl to damp hair:

SCarolinaGirl

Thanks ladies... I bought some hawaiian silky 14 in 1 for him today. I'm going to attempt to have him sleep with a cap on tonight but I don't know if he will go for it. I had him under the dryer last night with a plastic cap while deep conditioning, lol!