Dry, brittle, mushy hair...desperately need help!

xyra

I am extremely frustrated at the moment and don't know what to do. I'm currently 10 months post and am transitioning. I had two strand twists in for about a month and a half and took them out this past weekend. My usual routine has been to shampoo and deep condition for an hour once a week (have been using Pantene Relaxed and Natural intensive moisturizing shampoo and the deep conditioning mask for a couple months with good results), apply Wild Growth Hair Oil to my scalp, apply Pantene Oil Cream Moisturizer to the rest of my hair, air dry, then flat iron. I was using Aveda Damage Remedy, but due to the price and my hair soaking up so much product I switched.

I was going to attempt to apply no heat to my hair for the rest of the year, but when I tried to do a braidout Sunday night it looked horrible the next day and I had to give up my no straightening goal. I cowashed Monday night, air dried, applied my usual products, and flat ironed Tuesday morning. But now my hair is extremely dry and dull, brittle, mushy feeling, and thin looking. It has never been this way. Is there anything that I can do to help my hair?

I am extremely tight on money since I recently had to purchase a car due to my old one breaking down, so I am limited to use the products that I already have. I currently have my Pantene Relaxed and Natural products (intensive moisturizing shampoo and conditioner as well as the deep conditioning mask), Wild Growth Hair Oil, Boundless Tresses, Queen Helene Cholesterol conditioner, Mane and Tail shampoo and conditioner, a small amount of Aveda Damage Remedy Shampoo, Care Free Curl Gold, Aussie Moist Shampoo and conditioner, and Sebastian Potion 9 treatment (yeah, no wonder I'm broke, lol). Can anyone recommend which products to use? I appreciate any help I can get. Thank you!

ETA: I was going to attempt to bun my hair daily after my braidouts, but since my hair is SL my buns look tiny and almost nonexistent. So this is the reason why I am resorting back to straightening. I cannot afford to braid or weave at this point either.

Last edited:
I am extremely frustrated at the moment and don't know what to do. I'm currently 10 months post and am transitioning. I had two strand twists in for about a month and a half and took them out this past weekend. My usual routine has been to shampoo and deep condition for an hour once a week (have been using Pantene Relaxed and Natural intensive moisturizing shampoo and the deep conditioning mask for a couple months with good results), apply Wild Growth Hair Oil to my scalp, apply Pantene Oil Cream Moisturizer to the rest of my hair, air dry, then flat iron. I was using Aveda Damage Remedy, but due to the price and my hair soaking up so much product I switched.

I was going to attempt to apply no heat to my hair for the rest of the year, but when I tried to do a braidout Sunday night it looked horrible the next day and I had to give up my no straightening goal. I cowashed Monday night, air dried, applied my usual products, and flat ironed Tuesday morning. But now my hair is extremely dry and dull, brittle, mushy feeling, and thin looking. It has never been this way. Is there anything that I can do to help my hair?

I am extremely tight on money since I recently had to purchase a car due to my old one breaking down, so I am limited to use the products that I already have. I currently have my Pantene Relaxed and Natural products (intensive moisturizing shampoo and conditioner as well as the deep conditioning mask), Wild Growth Hair Oil, Boundless Tresses, Queen Helene Cholesterol conditioner, Mane and Tail shampoo and conditioner, a small amount of Aveda Damage Remedy Shampoo, Care Free Curl Gold, Aussie Moist Shampoo and conditioner, and Sebastian Potion 9 treatment (yeah, no wonder I'm broke, lol). Can anyone recommend which products to use? I appreciate any help I can get. Thank you!

ETA: I was going to attempt to bun my hair daily after my braidouts, but since my hair is SL my buns look tiny and almost nonexistent. So this is the reason why I am resorting back to straightening. I cannot afford to braid or weave at this point either.

I'm sorry to hear this. You are a fellow transitioner!:grin:

For one, just stick with cowashing and dont shampoo every single week. That should help with dryness/manageability. Also, you have to stop straightening every week:yep: and if you do flat iron you must use a heat protectant. Try deep conditioning on dry hair with the Pantene mask or the Queen Helene(several hours if you want) and then rinse thoroughly while gently detangling with a shower comb in the shower and then cowash with maybe aussie moist or Mane N Tail conditioners. Try air drying, and after your hair is dry, juice it up with the CFCG:lick: and try doing bantu knots or twists over night and take them loose in the murnin. Or you could try slicking your hair back while it is damp and do a wet bun...use some sort of leave-in cream.

HTH...:grin:

ETA: Also, if your braid outs are dry and crunchy or wild, try doing bigger/less braids.

Last edited:
Braidout dry my hair out for some odd reason. There was a thread about it a few months ago and a remedy but that's all I can tell you about that.

I have dry hair as well and what really helps me is DC and I mean a real DC not a regular conditioner used as a DC. Organic Root Stimulator has a really good one. I am currently using AFffirm's 5 in 1 Reconstructor.

Castor Oil has done wonders for my hair as well. Just apply it to your scalp and hair and sleep with a plastic cap! ;)

HTH!

Mushy means your hair needs more protein. You use alot of moisturizing agents. Mane and Tail would do but I also know that it is stripping and can cause more dryness. Also it is alittle light. Mayo or egg whites will work fine if you have them. You can mix it with a conditioner and leave it on for over an hour. You aren't DC'ing long enough.

As for the dryness coconut oil works for me but it is a tad expensive. Maybe olive oil if you have it in your pantry. It's a penetrative oil and it won't add to the mushy feeling your hair has. But care free curl is awesome. Use that. Don't do product overload. Leave out the other stuff.

I'm a transitioner as well. I have restricted myself to heat once per two weeks. That is also when I shampoo and condition. I leave my protein based concoction on overnight. I don't flat iron my ends anymore. When I bun my hair the ends naturally straighten. I have had past damage that has thinned out my hair as well. Next key to thicker, longer hair is patience.

I hope that at some point I can do 10 months. That's awesome.

Thank you everyone for the replies. Normally my hair is extremely thick, so that is why I'm concerned about it looking so thin. I just applied some Care Free Curl Gold on the length of my hair and did two big bantu knots so I'm hoping that might help a little. I will definitely try adding egg whites in my conditioner. Even though I just purchased the Pantene products a few months ago, I think I might have to put them in the bottom of my stash. I did not realize that I may have been using too many moisturizers. It probably all finally caught up with me at once.

I will try using Mane and Tail and my cholesterol conditioner on my next wash. I used Mane and Tail all throughout high school with no problems. If that doesn't go well, I may have to go back to Aveda even though it's pricey. I'll also at some point attempt air drying, applying CFCG, and doing bantu knots to see if that will cut back on my straightening. My transition was going so well until I had my twists put in. Now I have to get back on a solid regimen. I'll post updates on my progress.

Thanks again everyone:)

Have you clarified in a while? You have quite a few products and I see a few that have cones...so things may be building up. For me, product buildup is mushy while wet and then dries brittle, wiry, etc.

Have you clarified in a while? You have quite a few products and I see a few that have cones...so things may be building up. For me, product buildup is mushy while wet and then dries brittle, wiry, etc.

Actually, I have never clarified before. I might have to look into adding it into my regimen.

The hour you condition is sufficent but you need to add more strengthening agents into your regime. Because the structure is compromised, it can't hold the moisture you are trying to provide.

I decided to go ahead and clarify with Suave today and am currently reconditioning my hair with cholesterol. I'm hoping that corrects my problem as my hair still felt horrible this morning.

My next wash I plan on shampooing with Mane and Tail and deep conditioning with cholesterol. My last resort will be to go back to Aveda since my hair responded well with it. I just want to try my least expensive options first since my hair soaks up products like a sponge at this point. I am determined to continue transitioning as this is my third attempt.

Back