hello

coilygirl

Hi from a new member.

I like this board and I also like nappturality.com.

I am a relatively long-hair natural and I thank you for all the information I've gained as a lurker on this board.

Cheers

coilygirl

sweetcocoa

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
coilygirl said:
Hi from a new member.

I like this board and I also like nappturality.com.

I am a relatively long-hair natural and I thank you for all the information I've gained as a lurker on this board.
Cheers
coilygirl

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello and welcome.

nita4

Hello Coilygirl, Welcome to the board. /images/graemlins/wave.gif I like nappturality too. I'm not natural, but you ladies have given me wonderful ideas and suggestions on hair care and styles /images/graemlins/smile.gif Going natural is something that I have been considering for months - I'm just so torn because I like all hair, natural and relaxed!!! We have some absolutely beautiful heads of natural hair here. Would love to see pictures of your hair one day!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ngaa

welcome to the board coilygirl /images/graemlins/wave.gif how long is relatively long and do u mind postin yo regiment??

ngaa /images/graemlins/drunk.gif
can u tell i'm nosy /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

coilygirl

@pandora, destinee, sweetcocoa, nita4, allandra and others: thanks for your welcomes.

@pebbles: thanks and I'm glad you like my avatar. I spent way too much time looking for a picture /images/graemlins/wink.gif

@ngga: thanks also and I appreciate your interest and questions and no...I don't think you're nosy.

My hair at its longest is about 2 inches past my shoulders, the front ranges from about chin length to shoulder length. The back is much longer.

For religious reasons, I cover my hair in public. So I wear natural styles (braids or two-strand twists) that will accomodate my heading coverings (hats, scarves, snoods, even wigs)

Here is my basic routine:

I wear my very nappy hair..(about 2 inches past my shoulders)...in lots of small braids. (When braided and dry, my hair shrinks to shoulder level and above.)

I rinse daily with Suave Humectress.
When my hair is still wet, I use an assortment of essential oils (rosemary, chamomille, lavendar) mixed with either jojoba, almond or olive oil)

Sometimes at night I apply melted shea butter to my ends.

For deep conditioning, I use ORS mayo, with a saran wrap covering.

I also use ACV rinses. I wear a scarf at night and I try, try, try not to play with my hair too much during the day.

Once a month, I completely re-braid my hair and wash with a diluted shampoo--Creme of Nature or Dr. Bonner's peppermint soap. After washing, I air-dry my hair in about 8 pony tails. The pony tail holders are those scrunchies made from stocking material and I have about five scrucnhies on each pony.

When the hair is almost dry, I make about 25 fat plaits and then gradually--as I have time--I break each fat plait down to three small braids and that's how my hair stays for the next month, with periodic re-braiding of really fuzzy or unraveling braids.

I drink lots of water; I usually take kickboxing classes three times a week. I like yoga. I try to eat lots of fruits and veggies.

I take vitamins for general health:

about 1,000-2,000 mgs of vitamin c
multiple with iron
800 IUs of vitamin E

I'm thinking about the GNC hair vitamin, but I want to do more research. I'm concerned about ingesting tooo much of a good thing. For me, the jury is still out.

And I smile a lot. Thanks for giving me another reason to smile.

I fear I've written way more than you wanted to know.
Thanks for asking

coilygirl.

G

BlkMane

Welcome coilygirl!!!

Sounds like you have your hair routine DOWN!

Just one question: Doesn't washing your hair daily mess up your braids?

daviine

Nita---you took the words right outta my mouth--I've been considering going natural well but I love relaxed hair and natural hair!!!

Welcome Coilygirl----I also hope to be able to see your pics one day! I think you'll love it here by the way! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

coilygirl

Hi to everyone and thanks for the warm welcome.

@blackmane and Davine.....

I wear tiny braids, no extensions. The braids are a little smaller than slim pencils.

Those are the only braids that can stand up to my daily rinsing. ( I live in South Florida, so cold weather and wet hair is not usually an issue)

I had to give up my two-strand twists, because they don't hold up well to my preferred routine and active lifestyle.

For a while, I wore fat braids, something like one of the characters in the movie Daughters of the Dust and also featured in Pam Farrell's books. But my fat braids--shorter than the movie or book version--also looked unkept/unraveled after one rinse.

The smaller braids, take hours and hours, but last for a month. I re-do the braids around my edges and middle part on a weekly basis. And I handle my hair very gently, especially in the shower.

Also, if you put a scarf on the braids, while they are wet...the hair looks freshly done. That trick is from Let's Talk Hair or another book.

thanks for asking.
Have a great day

marabou1

Hi Coilygirl: /images/graemlins/wave.gif

Welcome! You are in good hands. All the ladies here will guide you in the right direction. They've done so for me.

-Marabou