foil & heat on the ends

coilygirl

Hi Ladies:

I'm intrigued by the "foil on the ends/with heat" routine.
Please provide more information and answers to these questions:

1.Can I use something other than petroleum or pressing oil?
The thought of putting those oils on my hair seems odd.

2.Also: are there any naturals who have tried this.

Thanks in advance
Coilygirl

yes you can use other products. I use to use petroleum but i didnt like it after a while so i started to you that profective cream in the yellow jar.

Carmella, what have you noticed with this??? Does it keep you from having to trim? Or is it for another purpose??

i always think of bacon when i see this mentioned, and we all know how fried bacon looks... /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

adrienne

Like I was telling Adrienne earlier I have heard of this process used in beauty salons in Beverly Hills before. But they use conditioner on the length of the hair, apply the foil and a WARM flat iron.

The purpose of this is to open the cuticles so heat can absorb...the same thing a heating cap would do or sitting under a hood dryer for a conditioning treatment.

I am not sure of the benefits of doing it with petroleum or pressing oil would be. These products I usually just use to kinda act as a covering to my hair to keep the ends from drying out when I wear my hair straight.

I dont see how it would be beneficial inside the cuticle they way a good protein conditioner would...ya know?
Maybe it does add moisture to your ends? I am too scared to try it..I also think of frying the hair like bacon...especially with the foil acting like a conductor for the heat and holding the iron in one place on for a while.....I dont know about this one.

Valleygirl

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
VALLEYGIRL said:
Like I was telling Adrienne earlier I have heard of this process used in beauty salons in Beverly Hills before. But they use conditioner on the length of the hair, apply the foil and a WARM flat iron.

The purpose of this is to open the cuticles so heat can absorb...the same thing a heating cap would do or sitting under a hood dryer for a conditioning treatment.

I am not sure of the benefits of doing it with petroleum or pressing oil would be. These products I usually just use to kinda act as a covering to my hair to keep the ends from drying out when I wear my hair straight.

I dont see how it would be beneficial inside the cuticle they way a good protein conditioner would...ya know?
Maybe it does add moisture to your ends? I am too scared to try it..I also think of frying the hair like bacon...especially with the foil acting like a conductor for the heat and holding the iron in one place on for a while.....I dont know about this one.

Valleygirl

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, now that you put it that way.....you DO have a point there... /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
adrienne0914 said:
i always think of bacon when i see this mentioned, and we all know how fried bacon looks... /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
D I T T O ! ! !

Thanks everyone for your replies and insights.

And brownrelaxedhair

Thanks so much for posting the thread link...I will read it.
Best wishes,
coilygirl

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back