I had to cut my hair....

Afrolinda

Well, I just cut my hair from APL to SL because of heat damage. I'm a natural but the last months my hair was pretty damaged and very fine because I used to flat iron my hair so often. I would like to have some tips on how to avoid heat damage and I think I'm going to join the "weave it up challenge".

Oh no I'm sorry!! I am sure the ladies here will chime in with suggestions. It will grow back better than before!!

Sorry about your set back. I think now is time to nuture your hair back to health.During this time, I would avoid direct heat for the next few months or so. Give your hair a really good break from it. Stay up on DC'ing with moisture (and protien for strength). When you do go back to straightening always use a heat protectant and even then, I would still keep using heat to maybe 1- 2 a month. The heat damaged you sustained is probably your hair's way of telling you that it doesn't do too well with straightening that often.

Good luck!

Well, I just cut my hair from APL to SL because of heat damage. I'm a natural but the last months my hair was pretty damaged and very fine because I used to flat iron my hair so often. I would like to have some tips on how to avoid heat damage and I think I'm going to join the "weave it up challenge".[/QUOTE]

If you plan to go in the weave challenge how long will you get the weave in? Moisture is very vital for nature hair and imo must be moisturized everyday. You should co-wash as much as you can which would be very benfitical for your hair, and trying to aviod direct heat as much as possible. You can style your hair in bantu knots, braid-outs, buns, etc. Good luck.

Well, I just cut my hair from APL to SL because of heat damage. I'm a natural but the last months my hair was pretty damaged and very fine because I used to flat iron my hair so often. I would like to have some tips on how to avoid heat damage and I think I'm going to join the "weave it up challenge".[/QUOTE]

If you plan to go in the weave challenge how long will you get the weave in? Moisture is very vital for nature hair and imo must be moisturized everyday. You should co-wash as much as you can which would be very benfitical for your hair, and trying to aviod direct heat as much as possible. You can style your hair in bantu knots, braid-outs, buns, etc. Good luck.

Thank you.

I had to do the same thing back in April. The front part of my hair, which has a looser texture anyway, stopped reverting and I knew I had to suck it up and cut it. I was devastated at first because it went from BSL to NL. I haven't used heat again since and my hair is now just past SL. My advice would be to lay off the heat for awhile and your hair will prolly grow back pretty quickly. Can you do rollersets and twistouts for a while?

With me, I do a protein treatment the day before I straighten and I use fantasia IC and sabino moisture block as heat protectant. That simple alteration for me has helped me retain curls perfectly whenever I straighten. HTH.

I don't have any advice regarding heat protection I just wanted to say don't worry your hair will grow back longer and stronger. :yep:

I'm sorry to hear about your setback and I feel your pain, the same thing happened to me only I went from BSL to APL first and then took the plunge to get rid of the rest of the heat damage taking me to SL.

I stayed away from direct heat and focused on my ends, keeping them protected and well moisturized and the condition of my ends improved dramatically. Before I did a length check at the end of last year, I felt my ends could have done with a little dusting but they were still ok. After I did the length check with straighteners, my ends felt jacked up again!

I think for me I need to omit the direct heat on the endes of my hair, they don't seem to like it (the rest of the hair shaft is fine and healthy with no problems attached to the use of direct heat).

I'm currently relaxed but as a natural I found Fantasia heat protectant serum great for straightening my hair, my hair/ends never suffered till I stopped using this.

I am now on my way back to BSL, and you too will be back to APL

Oh no I'm sorry!! I am sure the ladies here will chime in with suggestions. It will grow back better than before!!

I had to cut mines too. I had to be middle shoulder legnth.. I usually flat iron 1-2 weeks.. But even with deep conditioning throughly and babying my ends.. it had to be done.

I can tell its shorter but I`ll get used to it! :nono:

Back