Healthy Ends = Blunt/Even Ends?

Does blunt = healthy?

• Yup! If they ain't blunt, they ain't healthy!

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Nope! They can be varying lengths and still healthy!

Votes: 157 93.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

davisbr88

Lately lots of threads have been popping up with women doing lovely blunt cuts. I personally think it's wonderful aesthetically, but I am also noticing that lots of people are saying things along the lines of your ends being blunt means they are healthy.
I'm sort of confused by this statement, because I thought there were lots of people whose hair grew at different rates all over their heads and though their ends might not be blunt, they aren't split, or breaking, or knotted, so how are they unhealthy?
I know my ends don't grow in bluntly, but they are in good condition to me. Yes, a blunt cut is nicer-looking in my opinion, but I didn't think your ends HAD to be blunt in order to be healthy.
Just want some feedback and didn't want to hijack any threads! :grin:

Last edited:

darlingdiva

I agree with you. I think blunt ends are nice to look at, but they don't necessarily denote healthy ends.

leiah

I think it's just that people cutting their hair into a blunt shape are getting rid of the bad ends... doesn't mean that only a blunt shape is healthy

davisbr88

I think it's just that people cutting their hair into a blunt shape are getting rid of the bad ends... doesn't mean that only a blunt shape is healthy

Makes sense.
I guess I'm just confused because not everyone that gets a blunt cut had bad ends to begin with, or at least, they don't mention they did in the thread, so it seems like people are jumping to conclusions or equating blunt with healthy somehow.

Janet'

Well as you know my hair does not naturally grow blunt nor do I prefer my hair blunt...I think that I have pretty healthy ends though...

A blunt cut can denote healthy ends but healthy ends do not have to come in the form of a blunt cut...as the other ladies have commented.

SmileyNY

I agree. A lot of people automatically assume that uneven ends are unhealthy & "regeddy"... How amazing that they can detect splitting ends through a photograph :look:

Personally, I like to S&D and I only get 1 cut per year. Anything more & I feel like I'm stunting growth.

ETA: If I ever cut my hair in addition to the once per year trimming, it will be b/c I've decided to BC... not because I think I need even ends in order to declare my hair "healthy". Go big or go home lol.

Solitude

I hope not because my ends are not blunt, even though I have been thinking of cutting my hair blunt for a while. I may do so in May.

davisbr88

IA with you all, ladies.
I am just wondering where this rationale comes from.
And I definitely plan to get my hair cut. I want that sexy deep U-shape, but that will come AFTER I reach my goal. As long as my ends are in good condition, I don't feel the need to try and worry about maintaining the shape while still trying to grow my hair. For me, maintaining that shape will be for when I go into maintenance mode and won't care about losing inches for aesthetics, especially because I don't wear my hair straight often enough now to see it anyway.

Janet'

IA with you all, ladies.
And I definitely plan to get my hair cut. I want that sexy deep U-shape, but that will come AFTER I reach my goal. As long as my ends are in good condition, I don't feel the need to try and worry about maintaining the shape while still trying to grow my hair. For me, maintaining that shape will be for when I go into maintenance mode and won't care about losing inches for aesthetics, especially because I don't wear my hair straight often enough now to see it anyway.

Agreed!:yep::yep:

MilkChocolateOne

I hope I make sense. For me healthy ends are full ends that are not see through. Ends can be full and uneven at the same time. I hate to use real life example because people tend to get offended. Bostonmaria and Charzboz of examples of having healthy full ends that are not blunt cut. The last 2 -3 inches of Cathy Howse's hair is what I consider bad ends. There is a stark difference in thickness between Cathy's ends and the rest of her hair, her ends are practically see through. Her ends don't taper off at all. You see full hair then BAM! sprase strings and space at the ends of her hair.

Last edited:

davisbr88

I hope I make sense. For me healthy ends are full ends that are not see through. Ends can be full and uneven at the same time. I hate to use real life example because people tend to get offended. Bostonmaria and Charzboz of examples of having healthy full ends that are not blunt cut. The last 2 -3 inches of Cathy Howse's hair is what I consider bad ends. There is a noticeable difference in thickness between Cathy's ends and the rest of her hair, her ends are practically see through.

I don't take offense at all! I wanted the feedback, and I'm sure the ladies appreciate the compliment. :yep:
I've never seen Cathy Howse's hair btw, but I know what you mean by see-through ends.
I didn't even think of see-through ends when I made this thread.
I was just thinking of people who have hair that is pretty much the same thickness from root to tip, but just isn't blunt cut. So, I see where you're coming from, and I mostly agree.
I also know that there's the lead hair theory, and have seen that to be true as well so I can't say I fully agree, but I most certainly do if it's been 5 years and you're still trying to claim "lead hairs." :rolleyes:
Basically, I was just hoping some of the people that commented on those threads would come in and shed some light.

Last edited:

darlingdiva

IA with you all, ladies.

I think it comes from the fact that we've been conditioned to think that anything that looks blunt or uniform is automatically healthy.

bimtheduck

I feel like healthy ends just need to be full with strands being a similar width all the way up the hair shaft. No blunt cut needed! I just now got a U shaped trim bc my ends finally needed it. Before my end were healthy but not even, I only cut when I needed it.

NikStarrr

I don't think ONLY blunt ends are healthy, people wear layered styles and still have healthy ends. I DO think that it's easier to maintain healthy ends with blunt hair because trimming is more precise and easier especially if self-trimming which is one of the main reasons why I haven't layered my hair. I love layered hair, but it's harder for me to trim it precisely, and I refuse to let anyone else trim my hair.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Yea, I agree with you davisbr88 and other folks in this thread. Blunt doesn't mean healthy necessarily. I get a lot of comments from folks IRL on my hair being so "healthy" since I started trimming up blunt and I kinda don't know whether to :D or :look:.
I mean, my hair is healthy, but it was that way BEFORE i started getting blunt cuts.

LongLeggedLife

Im not into blunt aesthetically, I much prefer the natural look of a V or U.
I thought blunt was just a starting point if the ends were thinned out or something and an easy cut to DIY and maintain.

nappystorm

I agree that blunt ends don't automatically= healthy ends. I have a blunt cut and I need a trim in the worse way. However, holding on to "healthy but uneven" ends is rather pointless to me if your hair looks ragged.

naturalTAN

I thought blunt was just a starting point if the ends were thinned out or something and an easy cut to DIY and maintain.

I agree. I don't think most blunt cuts are flattering and layers usually frame the face better. I do, however, like the almost blunt, U-shape that most of Reniece's clients have. :lick: Allandra, I'm looking at you. :grin:

MilkChocolateOne

Layered cuts, U shapes and V shapes can be be blunt too. Blunt in not limited to straight across. Reneice's cuts in her gallery are examples of blunt layered, U and V shapes.

Allandra

I agree. I don't think most blunt cuts are flattering and layers usually frame the face better. I do, however, like the almost blunt, U-shape that most of Reniece's clients have. :lick: @Allandra, I'm looking at you. :grin:
Thanks. I haven't had my hair cut in quite a while. This is the shape my hair continues to grow in (blunt). I don't have a u shape, just straight on across. :giggle:

LushLox

It's all about aesthetics, blunt ends immediately has a perception of health but it no way means that uneven hair isn't healthy.

My hair is by no means blunt but I would like to think that it's healthy as it can be.

hillytmj

I agree that blunt ends look really cool, but I don't think they're healthier than other styles. I think blunt ends are really neat (clean, organized), but your ends can still be healthy if they're not blunt. I haven't had a blunt cut in years, and I've been blessed to keep my ends in good shape.

Flawlis1

I DON'T like "blunt" cut hairstyles, I always have my hair trimmed in the V shape using the point cut method.
I have seen ALOT of people with blunt ends and shaft damage, so you cannot go by how someone's ends look to determine if they have healthy hair..... because eventhough the ends look neat, the hair as a whole is not always in good condition.

EllePixie

Blunt doesn't always equal healthy, and uneven doesn't always mean unhealthy. Once I was a girl with long blunt hair, but upon closer inspection (leave me alone, okay? we were in line at the amusement park, I couldn't help it!!!) I could see that she had a lot of white bulbs at the end of her hair, which is a sign of breakage, and it made sense b/c her hair was dyed. And uneven end can be healthy as well, but I think a lot of people like to get off the "old hair." Different strokes!

sunnieb

No. You can have healthy ends with varying lengths. Your hair grows at different rates all over your head. It doesn't always mean that there is breakage going on.

I happen to love blunt ends. Matter of fact, I need to trim tonight! :yep:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Blunt cuts are not necesarily healthy all the way especially if the person isn't taking the best care of their hair but the likleyhood of having healthy split free ends in the bulk of the hair is high from a fresh cut which is what people refer to.

Ive gotten positive comments on my ends when my hair was cut blunt and when i had natural layers. I prefer blunt full cuts becuase its easier to maintain. When i had layers i defined them myself and it was time consuming. Blunt ends also are less likely to tangle and break becuase with eveness there is more strength.

NaturalBoss

I agree with everyone else. I've had my hair cut in several layers before and it was healthy. I don't understand why people think that healthy=blunt.

ActionActress

I actually like my ends blunt..as a matter of fact I am no longer BSL to get them even again.

But I think what people could mean by that statement is that it is easier to keep up. I do my own cutting and I don't deal with layers of hair. Either way can be healthy but in my experience, it is easy to comb in a downward direction and clip. Not searching for layers to make sure it's even layers.

A blunt look gives a thicker look along the ends, especially if I braid my hair.

AA