Have Growth Aids Worked For You?

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I'm a skeptic about all things growth aid related but I'm not above admitting being wrong.

Come one, come all: Users of Holy Ghost Grease (Lenzi's Request), Frenchee's, Surge, MTG, sulfur powder, Monistat, OCT/MT, Listerine, Cayenne Pepper, Ghee, Seaweed, Okra, Boundless Tresses, Nu Gro, Gro-Aut, Castor Oil, Wild Growth Oil, MoeGro oil, High Protein Diet, Vitamin Cocktails (hair growth vitamins or taking specific vitamins for the sole purpose of hair growth),Reflexology, Gelatin for growth, Patience Hair Oil, Avocado Oil, Snake Oil, BeeMine Hair Growth Serum, Ayurvedic products, Scritching, etc.

If I missed anything, I'm sorry. These are just the ones that got my attention over the last few years.

Have YOU found a growth aid that has worked?

What is the name of the product?

How long was your hair when you started using it?

How long is your hair now?

How long did it take to get from your start length to your current length?

The only thing that has worked for me thus far is Rogaine. That is it.

Everything else was a waste of my money. However, I've heard many other people claim to have good results from using other products. That just hasn't happened to me.

I'm a loyal Rogaine customer, now.

dachsies_rule!

Wild Growth Oil works for me when i use it, but for some reason i'm just too lazy to use it consistently...it always ends up in the back of the cabinet after a few weeks of use.:perplexed

Dove56

Back in 2006/2007 I took Viviscal for 3 1/2 months and I got 4 inches of hair growth. Viviscal gives me about 1 inch a month I haven't taken it since then because of the price. I'd much rather buy makeup.

MyAngelEyez~C~U

I think OCT and MN are both good growth aids, and I have gotten good growth from both (between 1/2"-1", when my normal rate is about 1/4"-1/2"...not huge but good enough for me). MN is inexpensive and easy to use. OCT is worth the money, and can last a month or two depending on if you mix it with other stuff or use it straight.

Last edited:

MilkChocolateOne

I have been a hair board lurker since 2006 and I have not seen any proof that topical growth aids actually work. All the before and after pictures look like person's normal growth rate to me.

julcade1

MN and sulfur 8 works for me, nightly massages is a big plus, and adding a little essential oils to my conditioners

Lady Slim

MT and straight MN have worked for me. However, sometimes the manipulation it requires (especially mn) isn't worth it.

Jas123

The Star of a Story
Come one, come all: Users of Holy Ghost Grease (Lenzi's Request), Frenchee's, Surge, MTG, sulfur powder, Monistat, OCT/MT, Listerine, Cayenne Pepper, Ghee, Seaweed, Okra, Boundless Tresses, Nu Gro, Gro-Aut, Castor Oil, Wild Growth Oil, MoeGro oil, High Protein Diet, Vitamin Cocktails (hair growth vitamins or taking specific vitamins for the sole purpose of hair growth),Reflexology, Gelatin for growth, Patience Hair Oil, Avocado Oil, Snake Oil, BeeMine Hair Growth Serum, Ayurvedic products, Scritching, etc.
man... you said a mouf full.... i didn't realize there were so many growth aids

locabouthair

It seems like people will use it for 6 months or so and then no one talks about it anymore. If it grows your hair why do people stop tlaking about it?

When I firts came to the board people talked about MTG, Surge, then it was BT? What happened to those? And I hardly hear anyone talk about ICT or Megatek.

I also notice all the women on the board who have "long" lengths never mention growth aids.

a_shoe_6307

Have YOU found a growth aid that has worked?
Yes

What is the name of the product?
MN/Monistat

How long was your hair when you started using it?
I did the BC and had an inch at the top and 1/2 inch on the sides and back.

How long is your hair now?
3 inches on the top, 2.5 inches on the sides, and 2 inches on the back

How long did it take to get from your start length to your current length?
6 weeks

a_shoe_6307

It seems like people will use it for 6 months or so and then no one talks about it anymore. If it grows your hair why do people stop tlaking about it?

When I firts came to the board people talked about MTG, Surge, then it was BT? What happened to those? And I hardly hear anyone talk about ICT or Megatek.

I also notice all the women on the board who have "long" lengths never mention growth aids.

1. People get lazy or change their regimes. I know at times it becomes tedious to me and I get tired and have to make an effort to not stop.

2. Also, when I did my first big chop I was all about growth aids, but once my hair got to BSL, I stopped because at that point my hair was long and any growth after that was great. I wasn't trying to get to a certain length anymore so I felt I didn't need the help from a growth aid.

I'm just speaking for me... :ohwell:

femmemuscle

hair vitamins. has anyone mentioned hair vitamins? So far, i have tried 3 brands to see which one i could use without a reaction. Maxigrowth w/MSM is great, and Andrew Lessman is great. I tried Schiff hair/skin/nail vitamins and have a problem w/itchy eyes and mild swelling of the lids.

If the MSM isn't pure/organic, then i have problems.

Otherwise, i've tried topicals by themselves with daily massages. This includes Claudies elixir/megatik/essentail oils.

and yes, i, agree, most of the ladies with long hair, don't seem to resort to these regimens.

Dove56

I stopped taking Viviscal because it was $55.00 a box. It just wasn't that serious after I got a little past waist length ( early 2007). Plus, my eyebrows and nails would grow too fast and I'd have to get them done too so it made all-in-all Viviscal made me spend too much$.

Filmatic

MN worked for me in growing my side back. I had see through side and it thickened/grew them in a couple of months. This was after them being this way for 4+ months.

I stopped because it gave me headaches. I may try again but cut it with more oil.

a_shoe_6307

I stopped taking Viviscal because it was $55.00 a box. It just wasn't that serious after I got a little past waist length ( early 2007). Plus, my eyebrows and nails would grow too fast and I'd have to get them done too so it made all-in-all Viviscal made me spend too much$.

What exactly is Viviscal?

tocktick

The answer lies in your own post, imo. The truth is that many people on growth aids seem to jump to the next bandwagon when it rolls up. Additionally, I think for some people the results either do not come quick enough for them or they do not get as much growth as they want (even if it does improve upon their previous growth rate) so they quit.

Where faster growth is concerned, I'm more inclined to believe that the real progress is usually seen through changes in lifestyle and supplements such as biotin and MSM. When the body does not get enough nutrients, it will use what little it does get for the most important functions. Thus, the hair (as well as skin and nails) will suffer. If one starts to increase their intake of nutrients and improves blood circulation, then it's not surprising if hair grows faster. The fact is their former lifestyle and deficiency in some supplements was cheating them out of their real growth rate potential. I notice some of the naturally faster growers are are active and/or have healthy diets.

I think some growth aids merely help make the scalp cleaner and remove any impurities that may be hindering growth. Therefore, an improved growth rate may follow. I do not believe topical growth aids are capable of anything extra-ordinary like allowing someone who gets 1/4" to 1/5" to obtain 1.5-2" a month though. I think some people have unrealistic expectations. I have not seen any comparison pic that dramatically different.

Last edited:

MummysGirl

No.

2 years ago:
I tried MN for less than a week, I stopped cos I got bad headaches.
I tried ORS Nape and Temple Balm, I stopped cos my scalp got so dry, it was peeling.

Lesson Learned: Growth Aids aren't for me. I have accepted my hair doesn't grow at the "average" 0.5 inch per month.

*fabulosity*

Yes they have worked for me. I have used OCT and MT.. and now am using a new one.
Not the sulfur based ones because I couldn't deal with the smell.

<<smirks at all of the bashers of growth aides.. that have never used any :look: :lachen:>>

My comment on this is it's personal preference.. just like the way people use different hair products. People don't always post progress pics.. I for one don't.. not regularly anyway.. but is my hair growing faster/thicker.. I believe so.. I've observed it without growth aides and with it.. so yeah.

beans4reezy

The jury is still out for me on this. I have been using MT and have seen growth, but here is the eternal dilemma I am facing: Is my hair growth/retention a direct result of the growth aid or from my own healthy hair care practices?? This drives me crazy..I need to figure out how to measure this before I can judge for sure whether or not these aids in fact make a difference. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bachelorette

Yes they have worked for me. I have used OCT and MT.. and now am using a new one.
Not the sulfur based ones because I couldn't deal with the smell.

<<smirks at all of the bashers of growth aides.. that have never used any :look: :lachen:>>

My comment on this is it's personal preference.. just like the way people use different hair products. People don't always post progress pics.. I for one don't.. not regularly anyway.. but is my hair growing faster/thicker.. I believe so.. I've observed it without growth aides and with it.. so yeah.

which do you prefer between OT and MT?

freshlikemoi

They have never worked for me, but then again I have never used one long enough or consistently enough to tell. But heck to be honest, if it's so good it should be sprouting out of my head on day 2.

Carrie A

I take GNC Nourish hair vitamin complex. Like others I'm not always consistent. I really don't know whether it impacts my growth rate, but my nails definitely grow faster with the vitamin.

AtlantaJJ

I do better with internal growth aides vs topical. I am taking collagen protein and OMG. My hair growth is crazy. My hair was thinning due to age, but since I started the collagen, my edges are filling in and my hair is getting thicker and its growing faster.

I think it just depends on what your body may be deficient in, I got a good growth spurt out of silica for a while then it leveled off. Same thing with biotin. I take them on occasion now.

I workout and sweat a lot so the topical is not going to stay on my scalp long anyway.

baddison

natural for good
I am die-hard Boundless Tresses fan. Consistent use of the Revitalizing Hair balm has given me back my edges :woot: Just ordered two more jars. :woot:

Please stand by for some before and after pics....they are here on this forum somewhere.....