Has anyone seen the "African Hair Growth Parameters" study??

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitedaisez

Hey, I take no accountability for the well-foundedness of those studies! *washing hands* I just posted the info for people to go do their own research and draw their own conclusions. :yep:

I agree with Kurlee that dying would be the best way. I wonder why they didn't do that.

Well, we don really know wat dey did. Dats de problem. The lame study dint give specifics and procedures.

whitedaisez

Excuse me Ma'am but I did not say you said anything. You simply posted an article. I read it and made by infrence. I insinuated that AA hair grows slower than caucasions. I did not say AA hair can't grow nor did anyone here ever said that.

I based my opinion on being in this board for 5 years and seeing this topic discussed many many times. I was actually glad to see a study that suggest the average growth rate for AA and caucasians are not the same.

am PRETTY sure I apologized after. sheesh :perplexed

Casarela

Sounds like the sample taken was biased from the beginning.

What countries specifically did the volunteers come from?

A sample of 38 people in a 53 country continent with 922 million people isn't enough for a scientific study IMO...

Interesting nonetheless! :)

spritex

The sample size is a joke. Any study with such a tiny sample cannot be representative of the group. The smaller the sample size the greater the margin for error.
But whatever. LHCF proves them wrong.

fifi28

Hi everybody,
I'm also a newbie here!!I'm Senegalese born and lived there for 18 years.I agree African hair grow slower but surely grow.Women's problem in Africa is more a length retention than growth.I cut my hair to ear-length on april when i discovered this board and by now I've 5-6 centimeters of new growth (sorry i'm french speaker and not used to measure by inches).I've more issues retaining this length

Austro-Afrikana

Welcome to the boards fifi. I don't usually use inches either but i've had to get used to it.
I agree that afro hair grows slower AND has a harder time retaining. Most non afro haired girls i know grow an inch a month.

whitedaisez

Hi everybody,
I'm also a newbie here!!I'm Senegalese born and lived there for 18 years.I agree African hair grow slower but surely grow.Women's problem in Africa is more a length retention than growth.I cut my hair to ear-length on april when i discovered this board and by now I've 5-6 centimeters of new growth (sorry i'm french speaker and not used to measure by inches).I've more issues retaining this length

I TOTALLY agree. I think women back home have worse hair care practices. We are too harsh on our hair. I mean, always combing it VICIOUSLY when dry, braiding it too often and WAY too tightly,:nono: i dont think the word "conditioning" exists in our daily lives, let alone "DEEP conditioning"; and just numerous unnecessary mis-handling of our hair. So i agree with the bolded, even with a bit slower growth, our MAIN problem, is retention.

Miss*Tress

Unfortunately you cant read french, I'd have directed you to some hair boards where black people (from all origins, relaxed or natural) are convinced that a black woman (4a-4b) with SL hair (yes SL) is certainly a weave.
I'd be interested in those links, Mamato. Thanks.

fifi28

I TOTALLY agree. I think women back home have worse hair care practices. We are too harsh on our hair. I mean, always combing it VICIOUSLY when dry, braiding it too often and WAY too tightly,:nono: i dont think the word "conditioning" exists in our daily lives, let alone "DEEP conditioning"; and just numerous unnecessary mis-handling of our hair. So i agree with the bolded, even with a bit slower growth, our MAIN problem, is retention.
ITA.
Yes I'd insanely comb my dry hair every day , I'm asking myself what the aim was.

LongiLox

It always surprises me that some people (many in here) don't think that African Americans hair grow slower than caucasions on average.

The problem is not that Africans (Blacks) hair grow slower than Caucasians. I think that has been established. The problem is that we think we CANNOT grow our hair because we are black. That is very false. If you take a black average woman and white average woman, and ask them to grow their hair to BSL from twa. It might take the white woman 3 years to get there and it might take the black woman 5 years to get there, but she will get there eventually. BUT we think that we can't even get there. And we end up keeping our hair at ear length due to bad hair practices. I hope you guys understand what I'm trying to say.

whitedaisez

The problem is not that Africans (Blacks) hair grow slower than Caucasians. I think that has been established. The problem is that we think we CANNOT grow our hair because we are black. That is very false. If you take a black average woman and white average woman, and ask them to grow their hair to BSL from twa. It might take the white woman 3 years to get there and it might take the black woman 5 years to get there, but she will get there eventually. BUT we think that we can't even get there. And we end up keeping our hair at ear length due to bad hair practices. I hope you guys understand what I'm trying to say.

Yes, I understand. It's a mentality thing.:perplexed

Keen

Very true. Which brings us back to AA's main issue being retension. No matter how fast or slow your hair grows, the point is it grows. As long as it grows, it can get longer.

Muse

I thought I read somewhere that blacks naturally don't have a lot of sulfur aminos (cystein and some other one-methionine?) that are responsible for quick and straighter hair growth in other races. That is why we see fast hair growth and sometimes straighter growth when we take MSM or Cysteine. I don't know how true that is though and I'm too lazy to google it now. I do know that MSM and Cysteine are reported to extend the growth phase longer than what it's genetically suppose to be.

I am ok with the fact that it may take me longer to get to my goal length than other races as long as I can get there. Now if it were a fact that there was no way blacks could get past neck length THEN I would be sad.

Avaya

People translate "different" and "slower" in their minds to mean "inferior" and that is simply not the case. Is the idea that "black don't crack" implying that less melanin makes someone inferior? No, just different. The differences we accept as positive no one has a problem with. It is the differences that people view as "negative" then all the round about, circular talk takes place.

The bit of length that I have acquired in the past six years or so a white or Asian chick would have been had in a year or less. I barely if ever use direct heat, stayed up in braids and am now a bunning machine, trim infrequently, have minimum to no breakage, etc., etc., etc.

Molly and Ming wash everyday with harsh shampoos, blow dry, flat iron, dye, cut off inches at a time every year, actually get to wear their hair out everyday and enjoy it, etc., etc., etc. and not only maintain a head full of hair but a head full of long hair. It just is what it is, as they say.

DIFFERENT DOES NOT EQUAL INFERIOR.

kandake

People translate "different" and "slower" in their minds to mean "inferior" and that is simply not the case. Is the idea that "black don't crack" implying that less melanin makes someone inferior? No, just different. The differences we accept as positive no one has a problem with. It is the differences that people view as "negative" then all the round about, circular talk takes place.

The bit of length that I have acquired in the past six years or so a white or Asian chick would have been had in a year or less. I barely if ever use direct heat, stayed up in braids and am now a bunning machine, trim infrequently, have minimum to no breakage, etc., etc., etc.

Molly and Ming wash everyday with harsh shampoos, blow dry, flat iron, dye, cut off inches at a time every year, actually get to wear their hair out everyday and enjoy it, etc., etc., etc. and not only maintain a head full of hair but a head full of long hair. It just is what it is, as they say.

DIFFERENT DOES NOT EQUAL INFERIOR.

Thank you for this useful post. I totally agree.

Junebug D

Growth does not equal retention, is the issue that most are having with this study. Who said anything about inferior?

I dunno, but the Mollys I see who do all of that have hair that is damaged, dry, frizzy, and barely SL-- and I see that every day. I look at Type 1 and 2 heads all day and I can just see who's abusing heat and who needs to stop using V05 because it's obvious. I don't know where folks see all these people who abuse their hair so much and it still looks like a Pantene ad. If that were true, Pantene would be out of business because there would be no need for it.

LongiLox

No problem TT, I am not mad at you Darling:lachen: I am just surprised that some people on the boards dont beleive some of our people are just slow growers. And I agree, on top of that they may have retention problem as well due excessive manipulation.

A friend of mine (man) shaves his hair every year and he has a very short afro at the end of the year to play with (about 1" unstretched, or less than 3" when stretched). He barely touches his hair on a daily basis, wash and go every day or so. He is very happy with it though since he doesnt have to spend much time and money at the barbershop:yep:

Your friend must be an extreme example because most African men I know have to get their hair cut every week. Their beards would have grown in, etc. If they leave their hair uncut for three weeks, they will start to look like a member of lost. That's why I believe our hair does grow slower but no abnormally so.

LongiLox

Yes, I understand. It's a mentality thing.:perplexed

Yes, it is. If you start while your daughters are babies and they continue to take care of their hair throughout their lives, there's no reason why they can't be sport BSL or longer like (not considering terminal lenght) their non-black counter parts.

Black hair might grow slow, but not so much slower that we can't achieve lengths other races achieve.

LongiLox

I thought I read somewhere that blacks naturally don't have a lot of sulfur aminos (cystein and some other one-methionine?) that are responsible for quick and straighter hair growth in other races. That is why we see fast hair growth and sometimes straighter growth when we take MSM or Cysteine. I don't know how true that is though and I'm too lazy to google it now. I do know that MSM and Cysteine are reported to extend the growth phase longer than what it's genetically suppose to be.

I am ok with the fact that it may take me longer to get to my goal length than other races as long as I can get there. Now if it were a fact that there was no way blacks could get past neck length THEN I would be sad.

The bolded is the kay.

Cherokee-n-Black

Even with mixed heritages, African Americans have not been in america long enough to exhibit significant genetic differences from native born africans. So you are more african than you think. :grin:

This just isn't true. When Henry Louis Gates was doing his DNA project, they could not find any genetic markers in common with any African ancestry for Mae Jemison, who is obviously African American and rockin' a fierce natural.

Unless we saw the full study, I don't think we could conclude based on this snippet that its findings are correct. Unless they are measuring stretched hair from the root, any other "growth" measurement is inaccurate. I think it's pretty well-settled that all hair grows between 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch/month, it's the amount of breakage at the ends that determines length.

skegeesmb

I think they should have used more Africans in the study to account for different hair textures that Africans have. Not all African hair is super tightly curled kinky. Or what about a study that included more people that were of African descent i.e: African-Americans, Carribean women, just a broader range of women?

Some other races have a hard time growing too. I am a member of the longhair community and some of the women and men there get slow growth, 1/4 an inch in some cases.

I've grown my hair from a short tapered cut from May 2002 to brastrap length in December 2004. And this included trims in the mix. And when my hair was short I didn't do any protective styling at all because it was too short to do so. Now I know that isn't everybody. But people of African descent that get 1/2 inch or more should have been included in the study as well.

whitedaisez

This just isn't true. When Henry Louis Gates was doing his DNA project, they could not find any genetic markers in common with any African ancestry for Mae Jemison, who is obviously African American and rockin' a fierce natural.

Unless we saw the full study, I don't think we could conclude based on this snippet that its findings are correct. Unless they are measuring stretched hair from the root, any other "growth" measurement is inaccurate. I think it's pretty well-settled that all hair grows between 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch/month, it's the amount of breakage at the ends that determines length.

Excuse me but I dunno WHO told you the bolded. Simple COMMON SENSE. First of all, if she had NO african blood, she wouldn't be called AFRICAN AMERICAN and wouldn't LOOK like one!:fishslap: DUH!! Secondly, that would make African Americans become ANOTHER race, which isn't TRUE!!! Even Hispanic is not yet a race, let alone AFRICAN American! The heck? There are only FIVE races on earth that has been classified and agreed upon: CAUCAZOID, MONGOLOID, AUSTRALOID, (CONGOID, CAPOID) -> NEGROID. Now, ANYTHING aside of those is an admixture.
So now, regarding Dr Jemison, I would like for you to show me the article or search that says she has NO genetic markers that can be linked to Africa. THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE LIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:angry2:

Go to this website:
http://www.healthdisparity.tuskegee.edu/8thSymposium/Presentations/8BMRS-RK-DNA-AA7x.pdf

slide 56, it says there, she is 100% WEST AFRICAN!!!!

Go to another site:
http://books.google.com/books?id=0c...m=7#v=onepage&q=mae jemison ancestors&f=false

Read the Mae Jemison article. Although they said, without proof, that she COULD have 16% asian, it was confidently confirmed that her maternal genes were linked directly to WEST AFRICA. Now her genes couldn't find her SPECIFIC african tribe; perhaps that is what YOU meant and therefore you need to re-phrase your sentence. Jemison could have ancestry in either Koto, Hausa, Mende, Fulbe or Mandinka.

So no matter what admixture any African American has, as long they have more African in them, they are still 99.99999% similar to an african BORN in africa. Besides, due to colonization and imperialism, Africans are FULL of admixtures as well (eg ethiopians)!! That makes us even more similar to African Americans. If you are disgraced and ashamed of your African genes, I suggest you STOP referring yourself as an AFRICAN American and identify as something else because it is SERIOUSLY offending!!:sad: As far as I am concerned, ALL african americans are AFRICANS. PERIOD. Believe it or not, take it or leave it, read it and weep. It's a FACT. I am African and I cant stand it wen african americans, just because i was "born" in Africa, try to act like there is something "different" about me wen I LOOK just like them!! I have kinky hair, dark skin, big jaws, big lips, plenty of admixture, JUST LIKE THEM!!! it jes gets me SOOO MAD!!:wallbash: WHAT THE F:censored:???

As far as the hair study goes, I am just as SUSPICIOUS as you are about it. If you READ ma comments properly on the post, I clearly said there needs to be more studies and INFO regarding AFRICAN HAIR.
(I DON'T CARE IF YOU WANT TO BE AFRICAN OR NOT)

*furious*

Last edited:

CarolinaGal

My probably "overly anlytical" two cents worth :spinning::

This "study" is not within the confines of the traditionally accepted scientific method. As was mentioned earlier, the "sampling" is not even statistically significant and the variances are too large. Furthermore, hair growth is only cell regeneration. If AA hair grows slower, then are we metabolizing and regenerating cells at a slower rate? It does not add up. All hair grows at approximately 0.5 inches/month. If not, there is a greater medical issue at the core of the issue. Our growth may grow in "tighter" and not seem to be in alignment with the standard growth, but there should not be any major variances. For example, has anyone gotten a relaxer on an inch of new growth, that turned out to be actually 2 inches of hair after the relaxer stretched it out? But the basis of hair growth is biochemistry, not race. Fundamentally, science has proven that race is just a myth used for political posturing and the like. Statistically, there is more variation within each race than between races.There are dominant and recessive genes, but there are not many scientific differences between races.

SmartyPants

Well, we don really know wat dey did. Dats de problem. The lame study dint give specifics and procedures.

*****Thread nanny alert*****

whitesdaisez...

I realize you are new here, but please use complete sentences and standard spelling and English standards when posting.

*****Thread nanny off*****

msa

My probably "overly anlytical" two cents worth :spinning::

This "study" is not within the confines of the traditionally accepted scientific method. As was mentioned earlier, the "sampling" is not even statistically significant and the variances are too large. Furthermore, hair growth is only cell regeneration. If AA hair grows slower, then are we metabolizing and regenerating cells at a slower rate? It does not add up. All hair grows at approximately 0.5 inches/month. If not, there is a greater medical issue at the core of the issue. Our growth may grow in "tighter" and not seem to be in alignment with the standard growth, but there should not be any major variances. For example, has anyone gotten a relaxer on an inch of new growth, that turned out to be actually 2 inches of hair after the relaxer stretched it out? But the basis of hair growth is biochemistry, not race. Fundamentally, science has proven that race is just a myth used for political posturing and the like. Statistically, there is more variation within each race than between races.There are dominant and recessive genes, but there are not many scientific differences between races.

Thank you! I wish I could thank you a million times!

whitedaisez

*****Thread nanny alert*****

whitesdaisez...

I realize you are new here, but please use complete sentences and standard spelling and English standards when posting.

*****Thread nanny off*****

First off, english is not ma 1st lang so i don kia 4 it. 2nd, this forum does not have any "grammar" rules regarding de english language or restricts posts/comments strictly in the aforementioned language. So i will phrase my sentences as i plz.
3rd, am too old 4 a nanny, but thanks 4 stopping by. :look:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.