Has anyone seen the "African Hair Growth Parameters" study??

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitedaisez

I just wasn't COMPLETELY satisfied with the whole average rate of growth is half inch per month. This is the average for ALL the races combined but I wanted something SPECIFIC for the African (Negroid) race. So I went researching on the Internet and I don't know if anyone has come across this study done by the British Journal of Dermatology in August 2001.

Abstract:
Background
Hair growth parameters have been studied mostly in caucasian hair, whereas few data on African hair have been reported in the literature.

Objectives

To evaluate hair growth characteristics of African volunteers born in Africa.

Methods

Thirty-eight young adults (19 women, 19 men, mean ± SD age 27 ± 10 years), native of central and western Africa, took part in the study.
Phototrichograms were performed in order to record three parameters of hair growth: hair density, telogen percentage and rate of growth.
For each volunteer, three regions of the scalp, namely vertex, temporal and occipital areas, were assessed.

Results

Hair density varied from 90 to 290 hairs cm−2, with higher counts on the vertex. No significant difference between men and women was recorded.
Telogen percentage showed wide variations, from 2 to 46%, with higher levels on the temporal area and in men. The rate of growth fluctuated from 150 to 363 µm day−1 with no difference related either to gender or to scalp region.
These data were compared with those previously obtained in caucasian volunteers of comparable age, and showed significant differences between the two ethnic groups in all three parameters studied.
Hair density in African volunteers was lower than that in caucasians (mean ± SD 190 ± 40 and 227 ± 55 hairs cm−2, respectively).
African hair grew at a much slower rate than caucasian hair (mean ± SD 256 ± 44 vs. 396 ± 55 µm day−1), and telogen counts were frequently higher in African hair (mean ± SD 18 ± 9% vs. 14 ± 11%).

Conclusions

This study demonstrated significant differences between African and caucasian hair growth parameters, which might suggest a trend towards increased hair loss in Africans, even though it contrasts with a lower and slower incidence of the development of alopecia in Africans.

Keywords: African hair; hair cycle; hair rate of growth; phototrichogram; scalp hair density
Document Type: Research article
DOI: 10.1046/j.1365-2133.2001.04350.x
Affiliations: 1: Laboratoires Recherche Appliquée et Développement, L'Oréal, 66 rue Henri Barbusse, 92117 Clichy cedex, France

sourses: http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/bsc/bjd/2001/00000145/00000002/art00018

There is little extra info on this study 2 describe possible environmental (de african sun is HOT as hell) or styling factors (africans comb TOO MUCH & braid too darn tight) that can affect growth rates. Also, this study is affiliated with L'Oreal which I think is known for being racist. In addition, the study was shown to have errors as high as 18% to 20%! Fluke, much?
I would like to know how other people feel about this. Btw, am NEW and this is my FIRST post! xD :grin:

FluffyRed

Great post and interesting topic.

I think there is a lot of diversity in nature and especially on the continent, so even if you fit into one of the groups tested for this study, your results may vary.

And WELCOME!

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
What countries specifically did the volunteers come from?

A sample of 38 people in a 53 country continent with 922 million people isn't enough for a scientific study IMO...

Interesting nonetheless! :)

Keen

It always surprises me that some people (many in here) don't think that African Americans hair grow slower than caucasions on average.

whitedaisez

What countries specifically did the volunteers come from?

A sample of 38 people in a 53 country continent with 922 million people isn't enough for a scientific study IMO...

Interesting nonetheless! :)

They didn't say which specific countries but they said they were "native of central and western Africa". So am gonna guess countries from Congo, Cameroon to senegal, gambia, etc.

Miamori

Welcome to the forum!

The results are interesting, but I have a few issues with the study just from glancing at it.

Beyond that, I'm not really African and was not born in Africa, and am not conclusively and definitely not exclusively from central and west Africa, so I can value the results as being perhaps a bit more relevant to me than the avg. we generally quote (if I want to assume its accuracy), but I still must take it with a grain of salt.

Junebug D

There is little extra info on this study 2 describe possible environmental (de african sun is HOT as hell) or styling factors (africans comb TOO MUCH & braid too darn tight) that can affect growth rates.

Did this study *truly* measure actual growth from the scalp or was it just another retention study claiming to be a growth study?

whitedaisez

It always surprises me that some people (many in here) don't think that African Americans hair grow slower than caucasions on average.

who are these "some people" and where are these "many in here"?? and how does this thread suggest the bolded? I am looking for specific info on BLACK hair ONLY not because I dont think it grows but because I think most of the "scientific hair facts" we know have been tested MAINLY on non-black hair. But in NO WAY am I suggesting that African hair can't grow. NOT AT ALL. and I dont think av said anything on this thread that would make you think this.:ohwell:

whitedaisez

Welcome to the forum!

The results are interesting, but I have a few issues with the study just from glancing at it.

Beyond that, I'm not really African and was not born in Africa, and am not conclusively and definitely not exclusively from central and west Africa, so I can value the results as being perhaps a bit more relevant to me than the avg. we generally quote (if I want to assume its accuracy), but I still must take it with a grain of salt.

I understand. But a study done specifically on africans would be FAR MORE RELEVANT to you than a study done on an american caucasian. The same way a study done on an european caucasian would be more relevant to an american caucasian than that done on an asian american. Even with mixed heritages, African Americans have not been in america long enough to exhibit significant genetic differences from native born africans. So you are more african than you think. :grin:

MAMATO

Yes I've read similar reports in the past and I do beleive they are right. I've been to some countries where children who keep their hair in their natural state (no press and curl, no relaxers) up to the age of 12-14 and still they could barely make it to neck length. Our hair growth rate is slower than the other races, but that does not mean our hair can't grow long, it just takes more time and dedication... :)

whitedaisez

Did this study *truly* measure actual growth from the scalp or was it just another retention study claiming to be a growth study?

I doubt that it is a "retention" study cuz if u read it, it says "African hair grew at a much slower rate than caucasian hair (mean ± SD 256 ± 44 vs. 396 ± 55 µm day−1)"
So i THINK it is measured by new growth.

kandake

who are these "some people" and where are these "many in here"?? and how does this thread suggest the bolded? I am looking for specific info on BLACK hair ONLY not because I dont think it grows but because I think most of the "scientific hair facts" we know have been tested MAINLY on non-black hair. But in NO WAY am I suggesting that African hair can't grow. NOT AT ALL. and I dont think av said anything on this thread that would make you think this.:ohwell:

I guess you're still not familiar with the dynamics of the board. I don't think Keen's comment was an attack on your post.

I think she was agreeing that AA hair may grow slower and that many people on this board don't seem to align with that notion.

I for one believe that on average AA hair grows slower but have never mentioned it on this board. The study was very interesting but I have my issues with it as well due to the errors and sample selection.

Last edited:

prospurr4

Yes I've read similar reports in the past and I do beleive they are right. I've been to some countries where children who keep their hair in their natural state (no press and curl, no relaxers) up to the age of 12-14 and still they could barely make it to neck length. Our hair growth rate is slower than the other races, but that does not mean our hair can't grow long, it just takes more time and dedication... :)

This is interesting (bolded). I wonder if they are also having a problem with length retention, due to dry hair that's breaking off for lack of moisture.

whitedaisez

OMG!!!! THAT IS EXACTLY WHY I STARTED THIS THREAD!! THIS IS THE MAIN POINT I WAS TRYING TO GET ACROSS!! :grin::grin::grin:

DarkVictory

Welcome! Had not seen an African-specific hair study before. The details (sample size, error rate, etc) of these scientific studies always fascinate me. Thanks for posting this!

Miamori

I understand. But a study done specifically on africans would be FAR MORE RELEVANT to you than a study done on an american caucasian. The same way a study done on an european caucasian would be more relevant to an american caucasian than that done on an asian american. Even with mixed heritages, African Americans have not been in america long enough to exhibit significant genetic differences from native born africans. So you are more african than you think. :grin:

No, I assure you I am aware of how African I am much more deeply than you can assume. :lachen:

I am also certain my hair grows more slowly than many of the non-black folk I know.

In any case, I allowed that the study is more relevant, and it certainly is, but still very suspect, as you mentioned. :drunk:

Last edited:

whitedaisez

No, I assure you I am aware of how African I am much more deeply than you can assume. :lachen:

I am also certain my hair grows more slowly than many of the non-black folk I know.

In any case, I allowed that the study is more relevant, and it certainly is, but still very suspect, as you mentioned. :drunk:

oh YES YES YES, its VERY VERY suspicious to me.:yep:

tocktick

I think given the bad styling practices that have been adopted by not only African Americans but other people of African descent, it is hard to determine whether our hair grows slower or not (when comparing a healthy African to a healthy European). I would be open to seeing a more credible study about this and wouldn't dismiss the findings even if it turned out that our hair did grow significantly slower.

Imo, I think the fact that hair becomes more prone to breakage as it becomes more textured (i.e - tighter curled type 3s and type 4s) means that retaining length is a harder task for many black people.

Last edited:

MAMATO

This is interesting (bolded). I wonder if they are also having a problem with length retention, due to dry hair that's breaking off for lack of moisture.

Mostly natural products: Almond soaps (or Marseille soaps) on wash days...Shea butter or black castor oil everyday, there is no way you can go wrong with those:perplexed For the retention, I am not sure, when you can wear box braids with extension and beads for a whole month and your hairline is still neat and tight afterwards, the 1/2" growth is only a sweet but inaccessible dream at this point.:ohwell:

msa

If this is the study I'm thinking of, then you can see what they did with it on the loreal hair science website. I'm pretty sure it was actually a growth study because they have pictures up comparing Asian/African/Caucasian scalps after a certain number of days. It showed that Asian hair grew the fastest.

Anyway, I think it's more important to measure your own growth rate instead of worrying about the average. That way you don't have to speculate about it, you'll know for sure.

whitedaisez

Mostly natural products: Almond soaps (or Marseille soaps) on wash days...Shea butter or black castor oil everyday, there is no way you can go wrong with those:perplexed For the retention, I am not sure, when you can wear box braids with extension and beads for a whole month and your hairline is still neat and tight afterwards, the 1/2" growth is only a sweet but inaccessible dream at this point.:ohwell:

WOW, ur soo knowledgable on african hair practices. Did you grow up there? Cuz EVERYTHING you said was just exactly how it was when I went natural and was in boarding school there. We washed with soaps and wore TIGHT A** BRAIDS!!! omg, they were sooo tight you would see ALL the veins on your head and the braids would LAST for HUNDREDS OF YEARS! lol.
Still, my hair didnt grow past shoulder length for 4yrs. Anyways, we did use super harsh petroleum grease on our scalp REGUGARLY and pressed AND combed wickedly on dry hair. and i mean, seriously WICKEDLY.:nono:

tocktick

I agree with the bold - I think it does take more time and dedication. However, I don't believe it's because our hair grows slower (based on this study).

As for those children, there are many other factors that could account for their short hair as opposed to just slow growth due to their ethnicity. Did they cut their hair at any point? What did they use to maintain their hair? What styles did they do? Any malnutrition? And the list goes on.

Imo, seeing a neck length African 12-14 y/o doesn't signify much. If those children had been growing their hair out from a shaved cut and 5 years later were only neck length despite good care, that would signify slow growth and I believe there would more African members here (and on Fotki, BHM, NP etc) with hair that crawled along despite good hair practices. As it is, this appears not to be the case. The African teens I know with short hair had cut it like that because of boarding school or for maintenance purposes. Whilst this is anecdotal evidence, the African members of my family (inc. myself) don't have a problem with growth. Many of them do have an issue with retention though.

Last edited:

MAMATO

WOW, ur soo knowledgable on african hair practices. Did you grow up there? Cuz EVERYTHING you said was just exactly how it was when I went natural and was in boarding school there. We washed with soaps and wore TIGHT A** BRAIDS!!! omg, they were sooo tight you would see ALL the veins on your head and the braids would LAST for HUNDREDS OF YEARS! lol.
Still, my hair didnt grow past shoulder length for 4yrs. Anyways, we did use super harsh petroleum grease on our scalp REGUGARLY and pressed AND combed wickedly on dry hair. and i mean, seriously WICKEDLY.:nono:

No I did not grow up in Africa... I'd have liked to by the way :yep: I spent a part of my childhood in Haiti (my mother is part haitian) and have gone back a couple of times after that. As for the thight braids, I know what you are talking about :)burning:), but fortunately in Haiti our braiders are more gentle, our braids were not too tight, just decent and neat. But I have friends from Africa (here in Montreal) who braid their children's hair so tight, I am always shocked by that every single time.:yep:

Last edited:

Optimus_Prime

:lachen:

I just spit out a sip of my milkshake visualizing the bolded.

I don't trust loreal. I'm also pretty sure that I get my 1/2" of new hair each month.

MAMATO

I agree with the bold - I think it does take more time and dedication. However, I don't believe it's because our hair grows slower (based on this study).

As for those children, there are many other factors that could account for their short hair as opposed to just slow growth due to their ethnicity. Did they cut their hair at any point? What did they use to maintain their hair? What styles did they do? Any malnutrition? And the list goes on.

Imo, seeing a neck length African 12-14 y/o doesn't signify much. If those children had been growing their hair out from a shaved cut and 5 years later were only neck length despite good care, that would signify slow growth and I believe there would more African members here (and on Fotki, BHM, NP etc) with hair that crawled along despite good hair practices. As it is, this appears not to be the case. The African teens I know with short hair had cut it like that because of boarding school or for maintenance purposes. Whilst this is anecdotal evidence, the African members of my family (inc. myself) don't have a problem with growth. Many of them do have an issue with retention though.

I am sorry I was not talking about African children... I was talking about things I whitnessed during my childhood in Haiti and some other Carribean countries. And NO they never cut their hair for any reasons, I won't invent such stories to fit in some LHCF beleifs. And NO malnutrition has nothing to do with it. The non African American Black People eat very well as well (even if they dont live in USA:look:). I mean we dont eat processed foods, but we do eat all natural ingredients, lots of beans, fish and meat, and natural juices, no Sodas, burgers and hot dogs... who can beat that:grin: . One thing I forgot to mention, their hair was short, but it was healthy, coarse and thick, black and shiny.

MonPetite

This study was poorly conducted.

On a related note...for those like myself who hover at 7-8 inches a year without growth aids...do these studies, if true, mean we're freaks of nature?

That's unsettling to me. What of those who consistently grow 6", but are "Black" (define it how you will)? Are they freaks because they are Black and have a hair growth that is "average" for "Everyone Else But Us"?

I'd like to see a well done study on this. All that I've been presented with have many a flaw. I'm not sure what I think about the supposed "slower growth rate" of "Blacks" (define it as you will). I'll reserve my judgment until I see a viable study.

Until then, I remain a bit unsettled about this issue and the social/cultural implications correct and clear findings would have (whether it proved "our" growth rate was slower or ever faster than the "Everyone But You" average).

I find myself...at a loss for an opinion, outside of my dislike for how poorly this study was conducted.

tocktick

I am sorry I was not talking about African children... I was talking about things I whitnessed during my childhood in Haiti and some other Carribean countries. And NO they never cut their hair for any reasons, I won't invent such stories to fit in some LHCF beleifs. And NO malnutrition has nothing to do with it. The non African American Black People eat very well as well (even if they dont live in USA:look:). I mean we dont eat processed foods, but we do eat all natural ingredients, lots of beans, fish and meat, and natural juices, no Sodas, burgers and hot dogs... who can beat that:grin: . One thing I forgot to mention, their hair was short, but it was healthy, coarse and thick, black and shiny.

Sorry for the misunderstanding on my part. Regardless, in my experience I do not know anyone of African descent whose hair stuck at neck length for 12-14 years without cutting and good hair practices. Even those with messed up hair-care could get to shoulder length. My family (and many friends) are from West Africa, which is where some of these participants were from. I think to go from birth to age 12-14 and still only have neck length hair is a rather extreme case of slow growth. I am willing to believe our hair grows slower should a more in-depth study prove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.