Hard to get Natural Airdried Hair into Ponytail

Ms Red

Hey ladies,

I am having a hard time getting my natural air-dried hair into a ponytail holder. Usually I will wash/deep condition/rinse/put my products in while hair is wet and put it in a ponytail or bun. And it dries fine. But then when I try to re-do my ponytail or bun it's like it doesn't go back into the ponytail holder. :confused: (I do not comb it or brush it while dried, just finger comb).

Has anyone else had this problem? I literally spend 10 minutes trying to get it in there in the mornings. And my arms hurt. I just went natural so I can't imagine fighting this hair when I reach BSL. :ohwell: Any suggestions.

turnergirl

Hey ladies,

I am having a hard time getting my natural air-dried hair into a ponytail holder. Usually I will wash/deep condition/rinse/put my products in while hair is wet and put it in a ponytail or bun. And it dries fine. But then when I try to re-do my ponytail or bun it's like it doesn't go back into the ponytail holder. :confused: (I do not comb it or brush it while dried, just finger comb).

Has anyone else had this problem? I literally spend 10 minutes trying to get it in there in the mornings. And my arms hurt. I just went natural so I can't imagine fighting this hair when I reach BSL. :ohwell: Any suggestions.

I don't try to do much of anything to my hair after it has dried. Maybe pin the front back here or there. When I wear an air dried bun I keep my hair pulled back so I can just reapply the band or retwist the bun and pin it up.

I do this by taking my bun down and putting a scarf on my hair, so that it stays in that position.

lsw29

Yes, I have the same problem. My hair is a little past my shoulders when straight but my hair has major shrinkage when wet so I have not been successful in getting my hair in a ponytail. My hair is cut into layers which probably is the other reason I have problems.

Ms Red

Thanks Turnergirl and lsw :).... I guess I am going to try styling it while wet and letting it dry 'into' the style...

More opinions?

neonbright

I am not natural, but when I am doing my daughter hair and my friends daughter hair who is tail bone length. I put there hair in about 6 to 8 pony tail and plat it and put scruches on the end. If I am not lazy which I am usually after that much hair, I can style it anyway I want after drying or they can have their hair like that for one week straight.

Oh I forgot to add that I use a little of Fruit of the Earth Clear Aloe Vera, with ORS Carrot Oil on their hair also.

I have come to the conclusion that I will have to re-wet in these cases. During the colder months this can spell DEATH, so i'll style at night and hope it's dry in the morning.

LynnieB

Hey ladies,

I am having a hard time getting my natural air-dried hair into a ponytail holder.

i gave up, not gonna happen now and for derned sure it ain't gonna happen after it's grown longer. :grin:

i rely on bobbypins, hair clips, pins and hair combs to create the illusion of a ponytail or bunny tail. i also style it while my hair is wet or damp only.

once it gets longer i'll be splitting the hair into 2 sections - one pony from forehead to crown, the other one from crown to nape starting with wet or preferably damp hair.

that's the only way it'll work.

:drunk:

Ms Red

Ok, this might be a good idea.. putting the hair into smaller ponytails to airdry :think: hmmm... thank you for that
I am not natural, but when I am doing my daughter hair and my friends daughter hair who is tail bone length. I put there hair in about 6 to 8 pony tail and plat it and put scruches on the end. If I am not lazy which I am usually after that much hair, I can style it anyway I want after drying or they can have their hair like that for one week straight.

Oh I forgot to add that I use a little of Fruit of the Earth Clear Aloe Vera, with ORS Carrot Oil on their hair also.

Ms Red

I totally feel you :yep: You hair is longer than mine and I can already see (and hope) I might be at your length by Christmas :drunk: I'll be doing that two pony idea too, thank you. :)
i gave up, not gonna happen now and for derned sure it ain't gonna happen after it's grown longer. :grin:

i rely on bobbypins, hair clips, pins and hair combs to create the illusion of a ponytail or bunny tail. i also style it while my hair is wet or damp only.

once it gets longer i'll be splitting the hair into 2 sections - one pony from forehead to crown, the other one from crown to nape starting with wet or preferably damp hair.

that's the only way it'll work.

:drunk:

glamazon386

Cupcake I know what you're talking about. I usually have to rewet my hair or it won't go back up. I don't soak it but I do let it get a little wet. Or sometimes I wet my brush and then brush it and add some gel. HTH...

Ms Red

Thanks Bmore... I have never tried the re-wetting like you and everyone is talking about, so I guess that will be my next step. This is good advice :hug2:
Cupcake I know what you're talking about. I usually have to rewet my hair or it won't go back up. I don't soak it but I do let it get a little wet. Or sometimes I wet my brush and then brush it and add some gel. HTH...

brownsugarflyygirl

For me, refitting dried natural hair is not an option for me....so when I am wearing a pony tail, its either:

Option #1: Rewet my hair in the shower or co-wash daily

Option #2: Rock that ponytail holder for a week. Each night I just wrap in a scarf, smooth the edges with my hands in the morning and go. I have found that my hair/ends dont suffer from this and I usually soak the ponytail holder in olive oil prior to putting it in for extra protection.

Hope you find your solution :yep:

Blackoutzangel05

I would think that leaving in the style you want is the best option. I am not a long natural yet but I can tell with all the shrinkage that I have that that is going to be the only way to go. If I want to wear a bun for an extended period of time I am going to have to leave it stretched. I can't take it out and then expect the next day for it to go back into the ponytail nicely...not my hair.....

bLackButtaFly

I'm witht he other "re wetter" ladies. I use a spray of water, conditioner and castor oil shaken adn spray it to rewet my hair if I don't feel like co washing. Also I don't use ponytail holders I use those big stretchy headbands I find my hair is too thick to be held in a teeny ponytail holder, and they always make my ponytails look shrunken and non existant.

PatTodd

I dampen my hands and apply a little product - gel, moisturizer mixed with oil, whatever - to smooth, then fasten with an old fashioned little girls' ponytail holder - we used to call them "ball barrettes".

I use one with black beads and fasten the balls underneath so you can't see them. Even though it has a metal piece in it, I find it easier than trying to drag my hair through a traditional ponytail holder.

glamazon386

Just an update... I've been able to get airdried hair into a ponytail but I had to add gel and comb it through. It works though.

zzirvingj

I will tell you this--my $1 spray bottle that I just bought from Walmart a couple of weeks ago has become my new best friend! :grin:

Like turnergirl stated, I don't try to do anything to my hair once it's dry, and even once it's STARTED to dry. My hair has to be at least "somewhat" wet for me to be able to manipulate it any kind of way most of the time.

So, when I take down my bun I spray it with my concoction of 1 part Giovanni Direct to about 3 parts water. Just enough to wet it so that I can feel it "stretch" in my hands.

"Re-bunning" has been a cinch for me ever since incorporating the spray bottle into my routine! HTH :drunk:

Hair Iam

Re-wetting with some sort of product and then using a banana clip has been my new best secret. The Banana clips hold from little to a lot of hair. They do not rip your hair.

gradygirl

Oh no this is upsetting. I am one of those people who cannot wet their hair everyday without staying out of the hospital and I cannot see myself wearing a ponytail to bed and being comfortable.

ShaniKeys

I have come to the conclusion that I will have to re-wet in these cases. During the colder months this can spell DEATH, so i'll style at night and hope it's dry in the morning.

Same here, I spray my hair with a mix of a light conditioner and water, and then do the ponytail, it's easier that way.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
cupcake, have you tried applying a moisturizer when redoing your hair into a ponytail holder?

Another thing you can do (which may take more work) is to let your hair airdry in twists. Once they're dry, unravel the twists, pick out your hair, and then style it into a ponytail holder.

by the way, how long is your hair?