half wigs with afro/curly texture

Mena

Do you know of any half wigs that I could wear without having to press my hair? I am a 4a/4b natural and would like to decrease my heat usuage.

Thanks!

I am obsessed with half-wigs because they are so easy. This is my favorite curly one. It's by Sensationnel Instant Weave and its number HZ 7009

Last edited:
There's Cozy by www.wowwigs.com

wowwigs_1987_43287791

That's the very same one I'm wearing here:
ornrowsnoextensionwithCozyPuff-vi.jpg

If you do get a regular wavy or curly half wig and flat twist the front of your hair you wont be able to tell the difference in texture. Thats what I do when I wear them.

I wear a sensationnel curly half wig. I leave out enough hair to make a bang, bantu knot it and it blends well. I do run the flat iron thru it to eliminate most of the shrinkage.
If you do get a regular wavy or curly half wig and flat twist the front of your hair you wont be able to tell the difference in texture. Thats what I do when I wear them.

how come (compared to the picture above)yours looks so much more real???

The color? I don't know. I believe I got 1B color and it really was a perfect match. If it is the size of the curls that concern you, remember the hair will be stretched and lying flat so won't be so obvious that the curls of type 4 hair are tighter than that. Just make sure it matches your hair color and no one will be any the wiser.

Before I got it, I had bought what I thought was a half wig from Sally's after the lady there misled me to think that the packaged hair was indeed a wig. It wasn't at all like my hair. It had gold highlights too and was glossy. Looked like a jherri curl only without the dripping juice. I was desperate and figured I could wear a scarf or something to cover the part of my hair that would show. Only when I got home, I found I'd bought weaving tracks.:wallbash: But I was desperate. Next day was a holiday and the day after a workday. This was when I had a bald spot at the back of my head and couldn't wear my hair out and had taken out the braids that hid the spot. So desperate situations call for desperate measures. I put my thinking cap on and came up with an idea. I took a pair of a pantyhose and cut the legs off. Then stitched it up to make a cap. Next I put it on my stuffed bunny's head and sewed the tracks on. When I put it on like a half wig, I looked like a drag queen. Hair was so long and glossy and made me look like a drag queen. Also if I tilted my head the wrong way, bald spots would be revealed. :blush: I had to fix that. Bingo! A fine net would do it. Put it on, making the hair all come together like an afro and I had the perfect half wig. I cornrowed the front of my hair and put the rest of my hair in single plaits. then put it on. The elastic held on perfectly and it looked really nice. No doubt it was not at all like my hair but the cornrows seemed to disguise the difference and I got the most compliments I've ever gotten on my hair when I wore it, both from my white coworkers and from my black friends and other white and black people that worked in my office building. And Hubby-mine who does not hesitate to tell the true also told me how good it looked. Personally I couldn't wait to replace it with the right thing. Not because I didn't think I looked good, but because I'd ignored Hubby-mine's advice to use pins, claiming the elastic was enough and had it go flying off my head when I was ranting and shaking my head in turn with my venting. :lol: Thankfully, I had only one witness and not someone that worked there. LOL Still, that home-made phony puff is the creation I am most proud of. Here is what it looked like:

nrowsHomemadePuffFrontSideView-vi.jpg

That whole ramble was just to say, that even if it doesn't match exactly, you can make it work if you try to get as close as you can to mimicking your own hair. If I'd worn that weave piece flowing and swinging like its length was meant to, the contrast would have been so obvious--especially because everyone knew my hair wasn't flowing like that the day before. So I made it into an afro (ie made it as close to resembling my hair as I could) and that seems to have disguised the fact that it was a whole different texture from my hair. And it must have really made an impression coz my co-workers keep asking me why I don't wear my hair in a bouffant anymore (that's what they were calling it) coz they "really liked it". :grin:

ETA: Autumnluv, I think the braiding does help hide the difference in texture. Looks good on you. :yep:

Last edited:
The color? I don't know. I believe I got 1B color and it really was a perfect match. If it is the size of the curls that concern you, remember the hair will be stretched and lying flat so won't be so obvious that the curls of type 4 hair are tighter than that. Just make sure it matches your hair color and no one will be any the wiser.

Before I got it, I had bought what I thought was a half wig from Sally's after the lady there misled me to think that the packaged hair was indeed a wig. It wasn't at all like my hair. It had gold highlights too and was glossy. Looked like a jherri curl only without the dripping juice. I was desperate and figured I could wear a scarf or something to cover the part of my hair that would show. Only when I got home, I found I'd bought weaving tracks.:wallbash: But I was desperate. Next day was a holiday and the day after a workday. This was when I had a bald spot at the back of my head and couldn't wear my hair out and had taken out the braids that hid the spot. So desperate situations call for desperate measures. I put my thinking cap on and came up with an idea. I took a pair of a pantyhose and cut the legs off. Then stitched it up to make a cap. Next I put it on my stuffed bunny's head and sewed the tracks on. When I put it on like a half wig, I looked like a drag queen. Hair was so long and glossy and made me look like a drag queen. Also if I tilted my head the wrong way, bald spots would be revealed. :blush: I had to fix that. Bingo! A fine net would do it. Put it on, making the hair all come together like an afro and I had the perfect half wig. I cornrowed the front of my hair and put the rest of my hair in single plaits. then put it on. The elastic held on perfectly and it looked really nice. No doubt it was not at all like my hair but the cornrows seemed to disguise the difference and I got the most compliments I've ever gotten on my hair when I wore it, both from my white coworkers and from my black friends and other white and black people that worked in my office building. And Hubby-mine who does not hesitate to tell the true also told me how good it looked. Personally I couldn't wait to replace it with the right thing. Not because I didn't think I looked good, but because I'd ignored Hubby-mine's advice to use pins, claiming the elastic was enough and had it go flying off my head when I was ranting and shaking my head in turn with my venting. :lol: Thankfully, I had only one witness and not someone that worked there. LOL Still, that home-made phony puff is the creation I am most proud of. Here is what it looked like:

nrowsHomemadePuffFrontSideView-vi.jpg

That whole ramble was just to say, that even if it doesn't match exactly, you can make it work if you try to get as close as you can to mimicking your own hair. If I'd worn that weave piece flowing and swinging like its length was meant to, the contrast would have been so obvious--especially because everyone knew my hair wasn't flowing like that the day before. So I made it into an afro (ie made it as close to resembling my hair as I could) and that seems to have disguised the fact that it was a whole different texture from my hair. And it must have really made an impression coz my co-workers keep asking me why I don't wear my hair in a bouffant anymore (that's what they were calling it) coz they "really liked it". :grin:

ETA: Autumnluv, I think the braiding does help hide the difference in texture. Looks good on you. :yep:

:lachen::lachen:OMG! That had me cutting up laughing around here! Glad too many folks didn't catch it but that made my day! I'm trying to become an expert at making my own half-wigs. Thanks for sharing your story!

wanted to say thanks for such a great thread im going shopping for a half wig this weekend!! Im hoping to find a winner to make trasitioning much easier

Back