Hair won't straighten or curl!!!

HairBella08

I have a sew-in weave with hair left out at the top. Last night I washed my hair with curls cleansing cream, left megatek on for 5 minutes on leave out hair, rinsed, and DC'd w/heat (moisturizing conditioner) my whole head for 30 minutes. Then I sprayed a little scurl on the leave out hair and on the tracks underneath my weave. I also sealed the leave out hair with a little KC serum. This morning my hair won't curl.:wallbash: It's just limp like it's almost too moisturized (if that's possible). I think it was the scurl because I never had this problem before. I'm transitioning so it's 50% relaxed, 50% natural and the natural part looks like a poofy mess and the relaxed part is just limp. It's all soft, not crunchy or hard. Do you think it was the scurl? I've heard that it pulls moisture from the air, but my hair is usually dry so I thought this would be a plus. Maybe I over-moisturized with the DC and scurl? I'm thinking of washing the leave out hair tonight and not applying the scurl to see if I get a difference?

Evolving78

too much moisture and product overload. you need to shampoo again and use a detangling conditioner. don't deep condition again. leave the scurl stuff alone.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I don't think it was the scurl but that will make your hair kinda poofy. Is it just that section that was left out that won't curl? Did you heat style that section a lot? It could be heat damage.

Scurl does pull moisture from the air but you should still have some sort of curl pattern unless it's damaged.

HairBella08

I don't think it was the scurl but that will make your hair kinda poofy. Is it just that section that was left out that won't curl? Did you heat style that section a lot? It could be heat damage.

Scurl does pull moisture from the air but you should still have some sort of curl pattern unless it's damaged.

I heat style the leave out section once or twice a week. Last week I only did it once. If it is heat damage, how I can I repair it?

HairBella08

too much moisture and product overload. you need to shampoo again and use a detangling conditioner. don't deep condition again. leave the scurl stuff alone.

I think I will give this a try tonight and see what happens. Do I need to clarify or just use a regular shampoo like CON?

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I heat style the leave out section once or twice a week. Last week I only did it once. If it is heat damage, how I can I repair it?
Did you use heat protectant? Your hair may not be able to take being heat styled that often but whenever you decide to do it again make sure to use a heat protectant. That still won't guarantee against heat damage but it helps a great deal.

Unfortunately heat damage can't be repaired. Most likely it will have to grow out. You may be able to encourage some of the texture back by doing protein treatments and deep conditioning often.....clarify before you do these to be sure to get the full penetration of the product.

Since you say it was only that one section of hair this really makes me think this is heat damage.

HairBella08

Did you use heat protectant? Your hair may not be able to take being heat styled that often but whenever you decide to do it again make sure to use a heat protectant. That still won't guarantee against heat damage but it helps a great deal.

I thought the Keracare Silken Seal was a heat protectant?? I do have some Joico heat protectant so I will use that.

Thanks for your help.

SimplyBlessed

When u say it won't curl...do u mean it won't revert or u can not curl it with a flat iron or curling iron?? If u mean it won't curl like it wont revert...then U are in the same boat as me....if ur hair won't revert u are suffering from heat damage....the front of my hair does not revert and this is a result of gettiing str8 hair sew ins allllllllllllllllllll the time and constantly straightening the hair left out in the front to blend :wallbash:....now my hair does not revert in the front (and this would be the case when I don't want the weave in my hair anymore lol:perplexed).

Make sure u are keeping that part moisturized and using a heat protectant every time u apply heat!!!!!! I would also continue to deep condition when u feel u need...since I've been babying that part of my hair it does get a little curl now...but nothing like the rest of my hair...HTH....

Evolving78

what clarifying shampoo do you have? because if you clarify, you are going to need to dc again. no don't clarify, just shampoo twice.

HairBella08

When u say it won't curl...do u mean it won't revert or u can not curl it with a flat iron or curling iron?? If u mean it won't curl like it wont revert...then U are in the same boat as me....if ur hair won't revert u are suffering from heat damage....the front of my hair does not revert and this is a result of gettiing str8 hair sew ins allllllllllllllllllll the time and constantly straightening the hair left out in the front to blend :wallbash:....now my hair does not revert in the front (and this would be the case when I don't want the weave in my hair anymore lol:perplexed).

Make sure u are keeping that part moisturized and using a heat protectant every time u apply heat!!!!!! I would also continue to deep condition when u feel u need...since I've been babying that part of my hair it does get a little curl now...but nothing like the rest of my hair...HTH....

thanks for responding. I just shampoo'd my hair with CON and my hair reverted. Woo! I was scared. I just got my Sabino in the mail today and so after I conditioned for about 3 minutes, I used the Sabino and waalah! it's perfect. Now my goal is to only flat iron at every wash. I admit with my last install I was the flat iron queen, but this time around I purposely only left a little out and only planned to flat iron once or twice a week. I think Sabino can help me go the 10-12 days between washes (and flat ironing).:grin: I still plan to moisture daily, but not with scurl. I'll have to use that for my braided hair only.

Everyone is so helpful. Thanks a bunch!!

HairBella08

what clarifying shampoo do you have? because if you clarify, you are going to need to dc again. no don't clarify, just shampoo twice.

I have Mizani Purify (sp). I decided not to clarify because I thought it would be too stripped so I used CON twice (diluted). My hair is okay now.(see my last post). You were right though. It was product overload...I was trying to take the best of everything and apply it all at once. I guess keeping it simple really does work:yep:. You can bet I won't be using scurl for nothing but underneath my weave and I may just go back to using the Lisa Akbari Moisture Plus which worked fine, but it's kinda expensive and I have to order it. Oh well, enough rambling. Just want to thank you...