Hair stylists and bad advice

ChasingBliss

Why do some hair stylists give such bad advice? My classmate who works out a lot sweats heavily, and her hair gets jacked up. When she went her stylist to get advice on her problem, the stylist told her that when ever she sweats, she should just wrap her hair and sit under the dryer. What kind of bull
censored.gif
advice is that??!! She must sit under the dryer with salted sweat in her hair until it dries
shocked.gif
? This is the kind of thing that makes me not trust many of them
mad.gif
...They give bad advice to keep unsuspecting people damaging their hair so that they can be customers for life...and yes I told her about this board
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
HoneyLemonDrop said:
Why do some hair stylists give such bad advice? My classmate who works out a lot sweats heavily, and her hair gets jacked up. When she went her stylist to get advice on her problem, the stylist told her that when ever she sweats, she should just wrap her hair and sit under the dryer. What kind of bull
censored.gif
advice is that??!! She must sit under the dryer with salted sweat in her hair until it dries
shocked.gif
? This is the kind of thing that makes me not trust many of them
mad.gif
...They give bad advice to keep unsuspecting people damaging their hair so that they can be customers for life...and yes I told her about this board
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That is some messed up advice the hairstylist gave her. I am starting to not trust stylists either. The stylist I am going to now does not advocate her customers taking care of their hair on their own. She insists they come to her for everything including shampoos. She must think I am stupid and rich. Needless to say I have been doing my hair at home until I find someone I can trust

You are so right! They give horrible advice but few of them have good heads of hair so we should be smart enough to not listen
wink.gif

Ok I work out like 3 to 4 times a week. It was crappy advice. On Wednesdays I do a conditioner wash with pantene smooth and sleek. I might try it with my Kenra(maybe a mini deep conditioning after the pantene). I just use my blow dryer with the comb on it to dry it. Some days I just spritz distilled water in my hair and kinda blow dry, and let it air dry. My hair doesn't shed anymore because I'm learning to take care of it when I work out. My energy level is great because I can really work out now without worrying about my hair.
Keeshes

I dont trust anything hair stylist say.
One told me I shouldnt deep condition since the conditioner acts on my hair like a relaxer and the chemicals in it can make my hair weak
perplexed.gif

Another told me I need to stop airdrying and start blowdrying followed by a flat iron.And wear my hair open everyday.
I was just like yea sure whatever

[ QUOTE ]
DahomeyAhosi said:
You are so right! They give horrible advice but few of them have good heads of hair so we should be smart enough to not listen
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

True!!! Many of them have hair that is tore up. I don't understand how you can be a beautician and not take the time to care for your own hair.

Yeah, most of the stylists I knew, kept their hair no longer than an half an inch....I always wondered why....so many possible reasons come to mind.
That's why it truly a blessing to find one that you can trust. Im still searching for that blessing.

i can relate with you ladies. i thought i had a great stylist until i started reading this board. i was getting my hair done weekly and i was bringing her new info i read from the board. it was brought to my attention i knew more then her. she would slap grease on my head without hesitaion. as far as perms goes she was so careless ( overlapping everywhere). i had to re-evaluate this i was paying her to damage my hair. plus, she always had the nerve to get upset about my ends. hmmm.. she was the one killing them with all the heat she subjected them too. i haven't been to her in 8wks. i am attemping to care for my own hair. nobody loves my hair like me. i want to give a shout out to all you lovey nubian ladies. we have the power to care for our hair.

Yes we do have the power, the knowledge, the love and the know-how to care for our own hair! Well said! OregonChick you are soooooooooo right when you say no one will love and care for your hair like you do! No one! I don't care if we're paying them $500! If anything, they'll just try to jack it more to keep getting that money! I don't trust stylists AT ALL!!! If all of us went out right this second and went to a bunch of random stylists - even the ones in the so-called "upscale" salons, you'll find much of the following:
1. Stylists with very short (not necessarily by choice) hair.
2. Overlapping of the chemical.
3. Instant conditioning vs. the Deep conditioning that should always follow a relaxer.
4. Extreme use of direct heat - either blow dryer or hot irons.
5. Someone telling you how bad your ends need to be trimmed, when possibly they are just temporarily a little dry.
6. They really truly have NO IDEA how to grow our hair out long and healthy so why are we going to them in the first place? If they did, this board and others like wouldn't exist because we'd all have hair down to our butts and always would have! IF they were all that!
7. Scrubbing your scalp like crazy when shampooing, when hair should be handled no different than a precious silk blouse.........you wouldn't scrub or vigorously rub your $150 silk blouse would you - why do that do that to our hair!
8. Brush out, or comb out our hair when it's wet!
9. The extreme use of Alcohol infused hair sprays, or worse, spritz!
10. The overall bad advise they give that screws up our hair and keeps us coming back!

Somebody, please make a self-relaxer home video so that all the sisters out there can learn to do this at home for themselves! We'll also be richer for it too when we're not shelling out $70 a pop to some know-nothing hair dresser! I'm doing my own relaxers, trims (dusting) and my hair has never been healthier or longer! Plus I ENJOY doing my own hair - it's relaxing and fun, and I get excited about the money I just saved! Moisture, Moisture, Moisture is the key!!! Especially for our ends!! That's all it takes........Period! You'd think these hair dressers could at least do that for us! I'm through with them altogether!!!

I wish I could say the same as you Cocoacure.I still go to hairdressers to get touchups.
My hairdresser had to recently cut off all her hair since she let it get too damaged.Stuff like that scares me.I just hope she doesnt damage mine.

Hi Katie, I hope she doesn't either, but she probably won't be able to because of the healthy habits and home self-care that you do in between relaxers. I bet most of her clients don't spend the time caring for their hair that you do and I bet they don't engage in the conditioning, moisturizing and other healthy things that you do, so for those who are SOLELY dependent on her for their advice and hair care, then YES you'll see some more broken off, dry, damaged headed black women going in and out of her salon. But YOU - NOPE! You're doing all the right things so you'll be able to fight off any of her bad practices or advice! If she does you're relaxer well and doesn't overlap and isn't constantly making you feel uncomfortable by trying to talk you into a "trim" you don't need, then you're probably OK.

then again some hairdressers dont feel like doin their own hair after they do so many others. my beautican only did her hair when she went out and maybe an occasional bump, but when she did go out it looked fierce.

Back