Hair stylists with jacked up hair

Hi all. I was wondering if you ladies would ever get your hair done by a stylist who obviously doesn't spend too much time on her hair. I know of a stylist who does a good job on other people, but when it comes to her own hair, well let's just say it's working against her business. I know she spends all day doing hair so she's neglecting her own, hiding under fuzzed up weaves, but don't you think she would get more clients if her hair was is good shape as well? I mean I've never seen it looking nice. I can't imagine what people think when she tells them she's a hair stylist. She is always talking about how she's going to do this and that with her hair, but it never changes. Know of any stylists like this? Would you go to one?

Tai

I went to one for over 10 years. In those 10+ years, I think I've only seen her hair "done" maybe 3 times. But she did, and still does, beautiful work for her clients. Between working two jobs, taking care of her family, etc. she doesn't make time to take care of herself the way she should. I had seen her clients' hair before I ever met her so I knew she could do hair. But if I had met her first, I don't know if I would have trusted her to do my hair.

DelightfulFlame

If I didn't know any of her clients and know that she did good work...nope...I wouldn't dare take that risk.

I think hair stylists should make time to get their hair done. It's very good advertising.

prettygrl

I was just talking to someone about this. A hairstylist just came to my job- and her hair was unkept. My coworker said she would never go to anyone who didn't take care of their own hair.
I think I would--if I had seen their work---as far as other clients.
But I have to admit--it is a terrible advertisment of their work

lovelymissyoli

You know reading this brought back memories of when I was left without a braider for a few months (she moved to a different city). Anyways, I went to a local braid shop in my city…BIG MISTAKE!!! :nono: Do you know I walked in there, showed the braider the size of the braids I wanted (pencil size) and she had the nerve to quote me $250!! :mad: I’ve never paid more than $40 to get my hair braided with individuals a little bigger than micro braids!! But that’s not the half of it… her hair looked a HOT MESS itself :) and her little kids that were running around in the shop took right after there mother because their hair looked a hot mess as well :confused:. Her braiding technique was sloppy, her daughters’ hair had crooked parts (the child had cornrows) all throughout her hair, and when I saw her doing another client’s hair, her skill was minimal. Needless to say I walked out of that shop, tore up her card, and from then on I drove 50 minutes to where my braider moved in order to get my hair done…I no longer do that now, but you get the picture!

To this day I don't get it...if your title says "Profressional ________", then that's how your appearence as well as work/skill should be!

Last edited:

webby

Think Slim
This thread is going to bring out a vent :mad:

When I left NYC, I searched high and low for a Dominican stylist. There wasn't a single one in Pittsburgh. I considered myself luuuucky when I found one just about .5 mile from where I currently live. She was recommended by 2 native NYers that I met; they swore that she was just as good as the Dominicans in NY.

Well, my first visit, I look at her hair and I need to :spank: my own arse, because it was dry, short, brittle, damaged, etc and I was going to entrust her with my mane?! WHAT WAS WEBBY THINKING?! :nuts:

Ok, so she washes my hair, because it would be wiser to have her do a wash/set before allowing her to use chemicals. She didn't comb my hair she raked it...she was b*tching the entire time about how damaged my hair was, all the while she was literally ripping my hair right out with the comb. So, I let her cut it (about chin length), because I knew that I still had a fair amount of damaged hair from the last professionaly idiot who messed my long hair up.

She did a decent rollerset, but when she went to blow dry, I should have RUN. She wrapped my hair around the brush, yes wrapped - around the brush and PULLED as if she was trying to fasten a corsett. I could hear my hairs snap-crackling-popping.

But that wasn't enough, I went back every week and then finally let her give me a touch up...yes, I'm stupid, but I just couldn't manage my own hair, despite owning all of the professional tools. Well this woman fried my scalp with the relaxer, used the wrong rinse and then charged me twice as much as she quoted ($90). I don't squabble with people over their prices; In NYC I pay $50 for my relaxer AND my rinse, but she's entitled to charge whatever she deems suitable. However, if you quote me a price, you can't switch up and double it, because "I have too much hair."

Ok, so that's when I got serious about doing my own rollersets (still go to NYC for touchups/color), but don't you know I ran into one of the women who recommended her. That basket case had the gaul to tell everyone that I was trying to sue her; she said that it had to be me, because I was the only American who came to her salon. WRONG.

I confronted her, asked her why she thought that I would try to suit her, questioned what she tought that I had to gain and she kept shushing me...didn't want the clients to hear why she was being sued. To this day, I get heated thinking about it, because it wasn't until after I left, that I realized that she didn't have a problem blabbing to her clients about me...sorry, y'all...the lesson here is if the stylist's hair is jacked-up, chances are yours is going to get jacked-up.

The END.

BklynHeart

I've been with my stylist for about 13 years and she's never had jacked up hair, even though it wasn't "done". Even her assistants' hair always looked healthy. What she would do is keep her hair cut short since it was easier for her to slick it back or to the side. But I've seen some stylists whose hair was bangin' but when it came to hair care they didn't know jack. And most of the time their hair was a weave. Those are the ones I stay away from because they never take the time to care for your hair.

My stylist's hair always looks tight. Nice, neat and shiny. It also always looks exactly the same, (a short no-nonsense bob) but no complaints from me.

webby

Think Slim
I guess I should have added that my old stylist in NYC and my current stylist both have beautiful hair. I would be afraid to trust someone with unhealthy looking hair, regardless of the length.

Healthb4Length

laughing at "hiding under fuzzed up weaves"(I can't find those little icons), I've seen this too often. I think it is bad advertising, although you can't judge a book by it's cover, since my last stylist had really nicely done hair...but she jacked mine up!

PittGirl06

Hair product junkie reloaded!
ALL the time.

Back home there is a nice African braiding place with about 13 ladies that work there.....all they hair look horrible. some of them had on weaves that were sloppily attached which others looked like they just got out of bed....but main they could do some braids!!!

I got my head done by this American lady and she did a good job but her hair...man, this lady was medium skinned with this bright blond thing on her head tha tlooked like a mop. She put it on herself I believe....I mean it was terrifying to see, but she did a good job!

I just got braids done yesterday by a lady here in France...I do not know if she is African or if she is from France...but she did a good job considering it was the first time she ever did (or heard of) tree braids. Her hair though...oh the hair...

MizAvalon

I wouldn't go to a stylist that had jacked up hair unless they were recommended to me by someone that I trust and even then only after I had seen their work and was satisfied with that. Thankfully I like my stylist and am not looking to change.

Nyambura

surfer girl
I feel you Webby. My lesson learned is not to let stylists with 2 inches of hair (and it's not a style, it's damage) "trim" mine...she claims to be a Christian, but the results both times were evidence of sheer, un-Christian hateration. :nono: The only stylists who've given me proper dustings have had long hair themselves. On the other hand, she applies relaxers really well...when it comes to Black stylists, Minnesota seems to be a land of six-of-one-half-a-dozen-of-the-other (no one can properly relax and trim). :perplexed