Hair Steamers long time use?

Spagirl

I was at Dudley's again yesterday (I know, out of town 2 Tuesdays in a row) trying to purchase a product recommended to me last week by the day instructor (CB Smoothe's Creme Hair Shine). When I asked if they had gotten the product in, the night instructor (over hearing this) decided he wanted to hold a conversation with me concerning alternative products. Well to make a longgggg story very short, I ended up in a conversation with his wife (an instructor as well) and she felt that by putting moisture into the hair (via a steamer) the moisture would eventually come back out and cause dryness (water-->dryness). She felt that in the long run I would end up with dry, resistant hair.

My question is, do you ladies think I was given good advise?
And is there anyone that has used a hair steam (long-term) and found it to dry the hair out in the long run?

Allandra

IMO, it doesn't sound like you were give good advice. I mean, how many people would say water causes dryness re: hair?

I've never used or had a steam treatment done on my hair, but it seems like a very good thing to do to the hair on a regular basis (weekly? bi-weekly? monthly?).

OnlyErin

That doesn't make much sense to me, but then again, I'm no chemistry expert.

I have noticed, however, that weekly steam treatments have been making my hair a little hard
Maybe I'm steaming too often. I'm getting rid of my steamer anyway and trying to streamline things. I ordered one of those Avon heat wrap thingies and will save my dryer treatments for the salon.

But to get back to your original post, I don't see how steam treatments in moderation would dry out your hair. Maybe she meant doing them more often than, say, monthly?

OE

P.S.

I've had my steamer about six months

Spagirl

Thanks ladies for helping me to keep thing in perspective.

Hairlove, you said that you used to get your hair steamed. What were the results you received. Do recommend steaming?

Cat_Eyed_Cutie

It happens...I've seen it happen. You should only be steaming your hair every other week. I don't know the science behind why it does this, but it does. I only get my hair steamed every 3 months, but I've been having it done for the past 4 years without a problem. I want a steamer soooo badly but I won't be using it more than twice a month.

Healthb4Length

Hi, I have been interested in a steamer for quite some time. I live in the nyc area and want to know where I can purchase one and how much would one cost? Thanks

lonei

I used my steamer for about 7 years now, once every two weeks and I have had no problems, just benefits. I always boil the water first and allow it to cool, it leave my hair soft, light and revitalised.

shoelover1972

Hi Spagirl
I have my hair steamed every 2 weeks at the hairdressers. I was going to increase this to every week but my hairdresser advised me that this was not necessary and it would dry out my hair.

HTH
Sam

ADB

I have a steamer and I use it 2 times a week. I've been doing that for about 2 months now. I haven't had any problem with dryness.