Hair Itches Like Crazy...HELP!!!

MzK

HI,

I'm currently wearing cornrows (feed-ins) and my hair itches like crazy--to the point I'm creating scabs in my scalp.:nono: I've washed my hair TWICE since I've had them (March 6th), and even after washing and oiling my scalp--it looks as if I've never washed it (looks dirty/dandruff). I don't know what to do. I'm trying to keep them in until mid-April, but from what I'm dealing with, that may not be feasible. Any tips/help is GREATLY appreciated.

Ms.Christ3n

Did you rinse the extension hair before you put it in? Sometimes the extensions contain chemicals that can irritate the scalp if not rinsed off with vinegar.
Sulfur 8 grease/spray is really good for the itchies especially if you have a lot of dandruff.
Another thing to try is leaving olive oil on your scalp for about 10 minutes and then proceed to wash your hair.
I really hope that helped. If it didn't and the itching does not subside, you might want to take them out because you don't want to cause damage to your scalp.

MzK

Did you rinse the extension hair before you put it in? Sometimes the extensions contain chemicals that can irritate the scalp if not rinsed off with vinegar.
Sulfur 8 grease/spray is really good for the itchies especially if you have a lot of dandruff.
Another thing to try is leaving olive oil on your scalp for about 10 minutes and then proceed to wash your hair.
I really hope that helped. If it didn't and the itching does not subside, you might want to take them out because you don't want to cause damage to your scalp.

Thanks. The woman who did them "sprayed" the hair (seemed like water) and proceeded to do my hair. It didn't start doing this until I had them in for a week (the 13th).

Beautiful hair, btw--I hope my hair (If I have any LEFT!!!:wallbash:) grows like yours!

Last edited:

Ms.Christ3n

Thank you so much! :blush3:

It might be the dandruff making your scalp itch. Sulfur 8 is the only thing I know to combat the itchies associated with that. I'm pretty sure these ladies will have more suggestions!

MzK

Thank you so much! :blush3:

It might be the dandruff making your scalp itch. Sulfur 8 is the only thing I know to combat the itchies associated with that. I'm pretty sure these ladies will have more suggestions!

Welcome!

I hope more can chime in with their suggesstions--cause I'm ready to rip these things out!!!:perplexed

Last edited:

bklynbornNbred

What did you wash your hair with? I'd suggest using some type of Head & Shoulders or the Kera Care dandruff shampoo (can't remember name) and add a little peppermint oil - put it on your scalp and let it sit for 5-10 minutes then gently wash your scalp again. Make sure you rinse it all out. Let it air dry a little then use Organic Root Stimulator Anti Itch Oil directly to your scalp. If that doesn't help take the braids out - something else is going on. Even if the hair wasn't cleaned washing it should have relieved the itchies by now.

blackindia07

OOOHHHH sorry I feel your pain!!!! I know when I used to use synthetic hair in my french twists my scalp would itch also and I realized it was the hair. Have you ever had braids before?

Last edited:

henna555

synthetic hair makes my scalp itchy,and i only get that when i braid my hair.after a few deep conditiners my scalp was ok.

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
I agree with the others. That synthetic hair has chemicals out of this world that can irritate your scalp if not rinsed correctly first. It probably already irritated your scalp before you shampooed and your scalp has to heal from the chemical and scratching. You know they say that when something is healing it itches.

By the way, I wasted my money on braids before taking them out after not even a week because I couldn't take the itching. Not even Sulfur 8 helped because I think it was just an allergic reaction so I just had to wait to heal and stop on its own. I tried washing it, Sea Breeze, Sulfur 8, some other scalp itch stuff and everything and nothing helped.

But my first try would be Sulfur 8 and if that doesn't help you may have to take them out and let your scalp heal.

Good luck!

moonglowdiva

It could be that you are allergic to some component in the synthetic hair. If might be the brand. That could be a possibility.

leigh.hill

Personally, I would hate to do it, but take them out, if the shampoo suggestions do not work. I had cornrows like yours before and got them in the winter. With my scalp condition (dermititas) my scalp was itching like crazy. I had to take them out a week or so early before I did any damage to my scalp and eventually hair. Just my opinion.

MzK

What did you wash your hair with? I'd suggest using some type of Head & Shoulders or the Kera Care dandruff shampoo (can't remember name) and add a little peppermint oil - put it on your scalp and let it sit for 5-10 minutes then gently wash your scalp again. Make sure you rinse it all out. Let it air dry a little then use Organic Root Stimulator Anti Itch Oil directly to your scalp. If that doesn't help take the braids out - something else is going on. Even if the hair wasn't cleaned washing it should have relieved the itchies by now.

I was using Pantene Women of Color Moisturizing shampoo. then, oiled my scalp with some olive oil/Wild Growth Oil (Doo-Gro).

MzK

I agree with the others. That synthetic hair has chemicals out of this world that can irritate your scalp if not rinsed correctly first. It probably already irritated your scalp before you shampooed and your scalp has to heal from the chemical and scratching. You know they say that when something is healing it itches.

By the way, I wasted my money on braids before taking them out after not even a week because I couldn't take the itching. Not even Sulfur 8 helped because I think it was just an allergic reaction so I just had to wait to heal and stop on its own. I tried washing it, Sea Breeze, Sulfur 8, some other scalp itch stuff and everything and nothing helped.

But my first try would be Sulfur 8 and if that doesn't help you may have to take them out and let your scalp heal.

Good luck!

Wow......that's terrible, but thanks for the tip!!! I'm just mostly concerned about my natural hair (transitioning). I don't want that to be affected by the hair, chemicals, etc.

MzK

Thanks guys for the wonderful tips!

As soon as I got home, I found some Organic Root Stimulator Aloe Shampoo (did I say that right? LOL) and washed my hair immediately. NO.MORE.ITCH!!!!!!!! :yay: Then, I melted some shea butter and greased my hair/scalp. I felt sooooooooooo much better.

So.....it must've been the shampoo all along! Sorry Pantene Women of Color--you don't
work when it comes to braids. AHA. I am a bit worried about my new growth coming in, so I pray damage hasn't been done to it.

I still may try the Sulfur 8 product mentioned, just be on the safe side, incase THIS doesn't work. :)

Thanks again!! HHG!!!

BlkOnyx488

Maybe try and Apple Cider Vinegar rinse since there's a chance the hair was not rinsed properly.

and if the sulpher doesn't work, Tea trea oil mixed in a leave-con might help