Hair Growth and Weight Loss Challenge 2014

GettingKinky

I think my carb overload over the weekend was helpful. My weight spiked up for a day, but today I reached a new all time low.

Attachments

• image-3920664641.jpg
    image-3920664641.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 33

toaster

At the gym! Ha, I hope. I've been there. Trying to get at least 40-45 minutes in when I go. I've been attempting to conquer the rowing machine. My weight isn't really changing (really, it's gone up) so I know I have to do better with my eating, but I'm still seeing positive changes in my body so that's good.

Just have to keep pushing. I'm making jambalaya in my crock pot for dinner the next few days. Not terribly healthy, but super yummy. Will also have a salad.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I had a really good workout today. I did 35 minutes on the stationary bike. Then I did upper body and abs. I spent the last 10 minutes in the sauna. Before I left home I sprayed my hair with aloe juice and glycerin and I put evoo all over my ends then i covered my hair with a plastic cap and scarf. After the steamy workout my hair feels so soft, moist and strong. I gotta incorporate the baggy into my workout regimen.

GettingKinky

I can feel my self control slipping. It's so hard to make myself get up in the morning and exercise and I'm having a hard time not eating seconds. I'm making good progress, I have to stay on track or it will all disappear.

Forever in Bloom

You all are going to hate me, but I have some confessions to make :look:

I think I can lose weight pretty easily :yep:

I have been eating like a little piggy these past 6 weeks, and have gained only 2 lbs :blush:

After I got my keratin treatment, I have barely worked out and still haven't gained any weight. I had been holding steady at 123 and when I stepped on the scale earlier this week, it said 125.2 :rolleyes: I thought I had gained so much more than that

I have been part of a DietBet (www.dietbet.com) since January and it goes all the way to June. You have to lose a total of 10% of your starting weight. Mine was 134.2. My end goal is 121. I am currently at 121.4 and got there from 125.2 when I weighed myself on Tuesday :blush: Trust me, I've been eating. I just told myself that I would lose the weight so that I could win my bet!

I submitted my pictures, knowing that I had lost this round, because my goal was 121.0, not 121.4 - they emailed me last night to let me know that I had won anyway :grin:

When I went to the Woodstock Fruit Festival last August, I gorged on nothing but fruits (lots of bananas, which are about 105 calories a piece)vegetables, and drank nothing but water and REAL orange juice every morning for 8 days, walked a lot, and participated in different workouts and activities throughout the week. When I came back, I weighed myself. I had lost 6 lbs. :nono:

I do not like what I look like right now. I think I look too skinny in my upper body. When this DietBet is over, I plan on gaining muscle mass. I think 121 lbs is definitely a good weight for me to stop at. Personally, I was banking on 115, but now I realize that that number is just that - a number. I am a pear shape, so that makes me look even weirder. I will focus on maintaining my body weight, but I am definitely going to start gaining more muscle. I have really been holding back for the sake of losing weight. I'll be starting 3 DVDs next week to focus on my lower body: Tracy Effinger's Lower Body Challenge, Ballet Body: Lower Body Workout, and Callanetics. I'm gonna need my lower half to at least try to match my upper body. I will start back running as well :)

photo (3).JPG

Why am I doing this? Well, I'm playing for charity. The money that I make in total is going to my church. We are a pretty small, close-knit church family and we plan on purchasing the building we're renting, so I really want to contribute. They have no idea I'm doing it and I'd like to keep it as a surprise :grin:

Anyone else have any confessions?

GettingKinky

Foreverinbloom- You look great!!! I wish I could lose weight that easily. I am definitely jealous. I've been overeating for 3 days and I've already gained 2 pounds. :-(. But I wasn't overeating fruit, it was take out Thai, jumbalaya, and pasta.

I am a pear too and I can never get my bottom half to match my upper half. That's why I'm going to do body beast after I finish p90x3 so I can gain muscle.

toaster

Last week I exceeded my 5 hour workout goal by about 30 minutes! Not surprisingly, I lost about 2 pounds. That was the motivation I needed to go work out today, because I was seriously thinking about skipping.

I also have my annual doctor's appointment today. I can't remember how much I weighed this time last year, but I hope it hasn't gone up too much.

faithVA

Not noticing any movement in my hair or the scale. Last week I got in a few walks and some tae-bo but my cycling was off. On Saturday I was able to do 17 miles with my SO and we hit some steady inclines to get my ready for my 1st ride at the end of the month. I'm getting stronger and my muscles are engaging. I still have a lot of fat on my lower body to get rid of.

They are calling for cooler weather and a lot of rain so I will need to be diligent with my trainer.

I plan on coloring my hair tonight and it will just go back up into flat twists. Going to stick to cleansing and DCing 2x a week and flat twisting through June. Hopefully my body and my hair will show great progress by then.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I never posted a starting pic and what better time than now. I was 168 this morning at the gym. Im 5'0" and my bmi is 31. I joined the 90 day biggest loser challenge at LaFitness. The person that loses the most body fat wins. I have an advantage because I have a lot of bodyfat (about 40%).

Here is my starting pic. Happy Monday :)

Attachments

• PhotoGrid_1397491712732.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1397491712732.jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 33

faithVA

Between now and my ride on the 26th going to eliminate some things: coffee :sad:, sugar, grains, wine, starchy vegetables and nuts. I will replace the coffee with tea and up my green vegetables and fish. I will see how that works for me. I need to find some snacks.

felic1

I just cannot give up coffee ( what a weakling I am). My grains are few and my raw vegetables, fruit and seafood have increased. I am hoping my dietary changes help me.

faithVA

I just cannot give up coffee ( what a weakling I am). My grains are few and my raw vegetables, fruit and seafood have increased. I am hoping my dietary changes help me.

I don't know if I can either :lol: But I have to try. I need to see if certain foods are affecting my results. Hopefully, I'm not sleep at my desk tomorrow :lol:

faithVA

faithVA- why are you giving up nuts? Are you going to add things back in one at time to see how they are affecting you?

The weeks that I run out of almonds, it seems like my weight drops. The weeks that I add them back in as a snack, my weight seems to increase. I can't prove it so I'm going to drop them for now.

I will add the almonds back to see how they go. I will add some grains like my oat bran back in. The other things on my list need to be occasional anyway. I'm not sure how and when I will add them back in.

I do believe something I am eating is causing me to at least retain a lot of water.

I will start keeping a food journal tonight.

faithVA

The morning was tough. I stayed up to 1 am coloring my hair and I definitely wanted some coffee this morning. I'm definitely going to need to start my day off with my smoothie to try to fill up. And I'm still not sure what I am going to snack on.

I had sweet potato hash for breakfast and then had Yerba Mate tea. I think drinking something warm appeased me. I had a cheesestick for snack. I had a "green" smoothie from Edible Arrangements. Now I'm hungry but I need to wait another 30 minutes before I eat lunch. I will probably be hungry by the time I get home.

The rain held off so I was able to get out for a nice stroll.

GettingKinky

I am starting to slip on both the health and hair fronts.

I'm on week 11 of p90x3. I have 15 more workouts to go and I'm done, but I'm having a harder and harder time getting up every morning. Then I'm having a hard time giving the workouts my all. I think because I'm mostly satisfied with my weight and shape, it's hard to get motivated. But I still want slimmer thighs. I HAVE to finish. Then I'll give myself a week or 2 off before starting my next program.

I've been eating more takeout lately instead of cooking and for sure that will lead to weight gain. I have to get back to cooking at least 5 days a week.

On the hair side, I've skipped my last few DCs on wash day and I can see that the pantyhose I use to hold my ponytails for my double rope twist bun is breaking a few strands of hair every day. I need to stop doing it, but I'm too lazy to try something else. When I wear my hair in a braid out, the part I braid is really smooth and the roots are crinkly so to me it looks like a wig. Sigh...

I'm just in a funk.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I did the crosstrainer this morning to work my glutes and quads. I also did the row for my arms, 2 kinds of crunches and the seated leg press. Since I exercise 4-5 times a week im rarely sore anymore. Im just waiting on the inches and lbs to start dropping so that I can look better in clothes. Being short makes me look frumpy lol. I had peppered beef jerky for lunch. I planned on a healthier lunch, but I had to pick up my daughter from school due to a fever...on the bright side the jerky had 45 grams of protein and only 240 calories.

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
I did the crosstrainer this morning to work my glutes and quads. I also did the row for my arms, 2 kinds of crunches and the seated leg press. Since I exercise 4-5 times a week im rarely sore anymore. Im just waiting on the inches and lbs to start dropping so that I can look better in clothes. Being short makes me look frumpy lol. I had peppered beef jerky for lunch. I planned on a healthier lunch, but I had to pick up my daughter from school due to a fever...on the bright side the jerky had 45 grams of protein and only 240 calories.

@Prettymetty :lachen:at the bolded. I feel the same way, short & frumpy. My brother said he never heard anyone call themselves frumpy. Now I know the short & frumpy pain is real.

I been M.I.A. This is my busy 2 weeks at work, winding down now. Joined the gym, which is right across the street from work! I don't even have to leave the parking garage. The 1st week I went 6 days, yes I went in! The 2nd week I went 4 days. I went Monday, and will be going today, tomorrow and Friday. I may be in the area so will try to go Saturday also.

I was down 2lbs, clothes feeling better, but had a few high calorie days late last week and thru weekend, and today :look:. Will try to finish the week strong. #TEAMSHORTANDFRUMPYNOMORE :lol:

Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Lmao Golden75! I may not be dropping lbs, but my scale says that I lost 2% body fat. yay for building muscle and burning fat :) I have only been going to the gym for a few weeks so I must be doing something right

Bunnyhaslonghair

Ebonics Queen
I'm discouraged y'all. I gained at least 4 pounds. I lost it before so I know I can lose it again. But I don't remember feeling this defeated during this whole journey. :-(. I feel like I've fallen so far that I'm scared I can't get back to my lowest weight. I know that's ridiculous but that's how I feel right now. I will try to keep focus today and I will stop weighing myself so much.

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
I'm discouraged y'all. I gained at least 4 pounds. I lost it before so I know I can lose it again. But I don't remember feeling this defeated during this whole journey. :-(. I feel like I've fallen so far that I'm scared I can't get back to my lowest weight. I know that's ridiculous but that's how I feel right now. I will try to keep focus today and I will stop weighing myself so much.

@Bunnyhaslonghair Just keep doing the best you can everyday. Eventually things will fall into place. I weigh 2x a week, sometimes. 1x is the official weigh, the other is to get an idea of how much my weight will flucuate. Try to find a happy medium. Or measure yourself to keep track of your progress instead of using the scale.

destinyseeker

I've only lost 8 pounds but I'm 3 pounds of fat down and almost 3.5 pounds of muscle up which translated into a size in a half down in my clothing... Progress.

The scale only tells one side of the story keep up with your measurements, size, how your clothes are fitting and ultimately how you're feeling. Keep on going... every day is a fresh start. :)

GettingKinky

The Taylor Body Fat and Analyzer and Scale (model 5553) scale is pretty accurate and reasonably priced.
Thanks- I have a body fat scale, I'm just not sure how much to trust it. I don't like how the number fluctuates with hydration or if my feet are a little sweaty. I try to make it more consistent by always taking the measurement first thing after I wake up (and pee), but the number varies depending on how much I drank the day before.

That's pretty awesome that you've gained all that muscle. Way to go!!

destinyseeker

Thanks- I have a body fat scale, I'm just not sure how much to trust it. I don't like how the number fluctuates with hydration or if my feet are a little sweaty. I try to make it more consistent by always taking the measurement first thing after I wake up (and pee), but the number varies depending on how much I drank the day before. That's pretty awesome that you've gained all that muscle. Way to go!!

You are exactly right. I work on keeping my hydration percentage the same (37%) and weighing at the same time each weigh in ( also when I first wake up (and pee) and it's been pretty consistent ( unlike other scales I've owned). The muscle gain is all Cross fit.. The workouts are beastly... but effective. :)

GettingKinky

You are exactly right. I work on keeping my hydration percentage the same (37%) and weighing at the same time each weigh in ( also when I first wake up (and pee) and it's been pretty consistent ( unlike other scales I've owned). The muscle gain is all Cross fit.. The workouts are beastly... but effective. :)

My scale doesn't measure hydration, maybe I should upgrade. Is it hard to get your hydration level to 37% every time?

DH used to do cross fit and he was in great shape. I prefer working out at home so I'm going to try body beast.