Hair Growth and Weight Loss Challenge 2014

GettingKinky

Why O why do my girls have to shrink before my thighs do?? It's so unfair. My bra cups are getting too big, yet my thighs are just starting to get a tiny bit smaller.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I overslept today so I couldnt go to the gym this morning. The kids were late to school and everything:blush::lol:
Today's cardio was me dancing around to a youtube playlist. I really broke a sweat and burned some serious calories. I need to buy a heart rate monitor soon for when I exercise at home. Today is day 4 of my squat challenge so im doing 40...I use my 20lb son as my weight:yep:

GettingKinky

Instead of calling the huge burrito I ate for dinner last night a cheat meal, I'm going to call it a "refeed" meal. *wink wink*

GettingKinky

I was joking about my burrito not being a cheat meal, but I've been reading about refeeding. From what I understand, if you're dieting and in calorie deficit, your leptin levels will drop which makes you hungry and makes it hard to be a disciplined eater. To keep that from happening you should have a high calorie meal from time to time that's high in carbs. Between the rice and the tortilla my burrito was high in carbs and it was definitely high calorie. But now I'm going back to my low calories and somewhat low carb eating. But I do feel very satisfied and not at all hungry after the burrito yesterday.

jennwantslonghurr

I was joking about my burrito not being a cheat meal, but I've been reading about refeeding. From what I understand, if you're dieting and in calorie deficit, your leptin levels will drop which makes you hungry and makes it hard to be a disciplined eater. To keep that from happening you should have a high calorie meal from time to time that's high in carbs. Between the rice and the tortilla my burrito was high in carbs and it was definitely high calorie. But now I'm going back to my low calories and somewhat low carb eating. But I do feel very satisfied and not at all hungry after the burrito yesterday.

I think this makes total sense. Was your meal more like whole foods rather than processed?

faithVA

My SO and I rode 13 miles yesterday. It was a short ride but it was a strong ride for me. The scale said I dropped below 150. Still have a ways to go for 145.

Washing my hair now. I'm ready to be done.

Royalq

Why O why do my girls have to shrink before my thighs do?? It's so unfair. My bra cups are getting too big, yet my thighs are just starting to get a tiny bit smaller.

Gurl lets switch bodies! these tig ol' bitties aint going no where! No matter how many eviction notices i send.:lachen:

GettingKinky

Another good week. I did all my P90x3 workouts and went for all my walks (14). My weight is holding steady just under 140. I'm going to try and hold here for another week before trying to lose more.

I ate a lot of carbs this weekend, a burrito, fajitas, cereal, a few sandwiches. I'm ready to go back to minimal flour based food.

I wore a few braidouts this week. I washed this week, but I didn't DC. I can't start slacking off, especially if I'm going to keep wearing it out.

How's everyone doing? Are you sticking to your plans?

Dabaddest

This weekend wasn't good. Ate terribly and didn't go to the gym. Sooooo not like me but I'm back at it! Burned 677 calories this morning at the gym. Going back tonight for Zumba and full body strength training. I have 30 pounds to lose by June 1st.

Got my hair re braided over the weekend. Washed with Shea moisture moisture retention poo. And dc with a Ors pack. Hair feels great and retaining length.

toaster

30 minute run and 15 minutes of rowing. Feeling good about being back at the gym!

On my way home to make lunch and wash and set my hair. Love reading these posts! They're very inspiring.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Since I started back working out I am always hungry. Always! Water makes it worse, veggies dont help at alln I dont know what to do.

I finally got a heart rate monitor watch. It was like $40 at cvs. It counts steps, monitors heart rate and tracks calories burned all day! Best $40 I ever spent. Maybe once I know what im burning daily I can just start eating 500 calories less per day.

I had to buy some new jeans today and I wasnt happy about it. Im disgusted by my thighs. Sometimes I just wanna say *** it, because no matter what I eat or how much I exercise my weight slowly creeps up. My fluctuations are getting worse. Sorry im rambling, im just really frustrated with my body right now :sad:

faithVA

[USER=406999 said:
Prettymetty[/USER];19901087]Since I started back working out I am always hungry. Always! Water makes it worse, veggies dont help at alln I dont know what to do.

I finally got a heart rate monitor watch. It was like $40 at cvs. It counts steps, monitors heart rate and tracks calories burned all day! Best $40 I ever spent. Maybe once I know what im burning daily I can just start eating 500 calories less per day.

I had to buy some new jeans today and I wasnt happy about it. Im disgusted by my thighs. Sometimes I just wanna say *** it, because no matter what I eat or how much I exercise my weight slowly creeps up. My fluctuations are getting worse. Sorry im rambling, im just really frustrated with my body right now :sad:

Are you eating protein with each meal and after your work out?

Dabaddest

Since I started back working out I am always hungry. Always! Water makes it worse, veggies dont help at alln I dont know what to do.

Increasing your protein will help you to feel more full through out the day. I eat at least 180g of protein daily. Also try eating 4 meals throughout the day. Go to iifym.com it will give you a suggested number of grams of protein to eat daily.

:side note: if your strictly looking at the pounds on the scale you may be discouraged when you eat more protein and make that majority of your diet. For me, the pounds on the scale have been creeping off but i'm losing inches and body fat percentage. When you up the protein and make it majority of your diet you can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time but the scale will be a horrible indicator of weight loss. HTH!! :grin:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
faithVA im eating about 100 grams of protein daily sometimes more. It does nothing for me. The only thing that keeps me full is bread or potatoes. Those are the main things im trying to avoid smh.

GettingKinky

Prettymetty it took me a long time to adjust to eating less bread/potatoes etc. For weeks I was ALWAYS hungry. So instead of going cold turkey I just reduced them significantly. Now I'm doing ok on low carb, but I'm not super strict about it. I just don't make them for myself, but if I'm out to eat I'll have them.

Don't be discouraged, changing your body takes a looong time. As long as you're consistent, you'll get there. :hug:

BranwenRosewood

I've finally got confirmation on the date of an event in June where there's going to be lots of picture taking so I need to get it together with my hair and weight.

Hair Goals
Current Length: NL
2014 Goal Length: Full APL
Relaxed, natural, texlaxed: Natural
Hair type: 3c/4a
How you will achieve goal: I don't have a set routine yet but I wash and DC 1-2 times a week. I mainly wash'n'go with the occasional twistout. I might start C&G in March. I do inversion the first 7 days of each month and I'm using sulfur oil again. I may start taking some kind of vitamins/supplements.

Weight/Fitness Goals
Current Weight: 233.5
Goal Weight: 150 (will reassess as I get closer)
Current Dress Size: 16
Goal Size: 6-8
Fitness Goal: Shrink everything. I have an hourglass shape that would look much better without the extra weight. I want to be firmly in onederland by June 2014.
How you will achieve goal: I need to eat Paleo/Primal due to my allergies and sensitivities. I will use kettlebells, bellydancing, hula dancing, hula hoops, paralettes and T-Tapp as my exercise. I have tons of programs I want to work through. I can literally go through the next 10 years without doing the same program twice.

I haven't posted in here since I joined. My weight is up to 250 :nono:, which is the highest I've EVER been, and I've only just started seriously working out last week.

I did a 25min kettlebell workout today. It was written as a 40min workout but I'm not ready for that yet.

My eating is still not great since I haven't stopped eating grains.

My hair is still NL since I cut 1-2 inches off in Feb. I'm telaxed now. I want to start taking Manetabolism in May. I'm starting biotin and l-cysteine tonight. I still need to invert for April so I will start that tonight.

Last edited:

GettingKinky

I was soooo tired this morning when my alarm went off. I did NOT want to get up and do my workout, but these thighs aren't going anywhere on their own so I forced myself to do it.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Most days I start with a protein bar or piece of fruit to fuel my workout (protein/carbs). After my workout I have a protein shake. I usually snack on sliced cucumbers or carrots. Lunch is either grilled chicken or fish with a green veggie. Dinner I have something light like a baby green salad with salmon or tilapia. I havent had any sweet cravings so thats a good thing. When Im at work on weekends I eat a bowl of soup midday for energy. My calories are around 1800 per day and I burn 200-400 depending on my workout and intensity level.

I did 15 mins of strength training and 30 mins of cardio on the stationary bike this morning.

GettingKinky

Prettymetty I don't know how many calories you burn at work and chasing your kids around, but possibly you aren't eating enough. Maybe you could add some nuts to your snacks for more good fat. It doesn't seem like you get much fat and that will help you feel more full.

faithVA

Prettymetty I don't know how many calories you burn at work and chasing your kids around, but possibly you aren't eating enough. Maybe you could add some nuts to your snacks for more good fat. It doesn't seem like you get much fat and that will help you feel more full.

I agree with this. And because you are working out in the morning you may want to eat something along with your protein shake or right after it. This would be the time to put the carbs into your body. Try a mini sandwich on a sandwich thin.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Thanks ladies. I will add a few more snacks and see if it helps my hunger pains. Today wasnt that bad. I had grilled tilapia with broccoli and black beans for lunch. Dh cooked grilled chicken parmesan with sweet bell peppers for dinner. I will eat once I get the kids settled.

Today is day 8 of my squat challenge so im doing 55. My thighs have been sore since day 1

GettingKinky

So you all know how I'm always complaining about my thighs. I haven't measured them since early January because during the whole T25 program they never got smaller. So on a whim I measured them tonight and each one is an inch smaller!!! P90X3, lots of walking ( minimum 2.7 miles a day) and portion control is working for me. I'm so happy. :) :) :)