Hair Growth and Weight Loss Challenge 2013

There's not too many of us left posting in this thread huh?! Where y'all at?!

Hair - Same ole', same ole'. Poo'd w/ CON moisturizing poo & DC on Saturday. Wrapped with Motions then cornrowed the next day to be able to work out. I sprayed some Infusium 23 leave-in mixed w/ HE Hello Hydration (new addition), & a little EVOO on my braids & scalp yesterday.

Body - Did not work out on Monday.

Tuesday - 15 minutes of running (1.40 mile) Leg Press, Leg Extension, Leg Curls

Tuesday night at home - Squats, Push-ups, Crunches on Stability ball, Hip Bridges, Planking

I broke my record today running on the treadmill! I didn't feel like working out but wound up running 2.20 miles instead! I barely had time to do my weight machines but I don't even care. I want to make it to the full 5K a whole month before my run! I'm giving myself 3 more weeks to get where I need to be (adding half a mile each week & working on that distance at least 3-4 days a week).

hair - i got braided up in cornrows and am rocking wigs, will keep them in for 6-8 weeks as if it was a weave, will co-wash during this time, DC every 2 weeeks and clarify when i'm out of them before i braid it back up

health - i've given up junk snacks for Lent, hopefully this will continue after Lent, I have already cut back on fizzy and only had 2 sodas since the beginning of the year (6 weeks) not bad at all really.

i have the lady who shares my office doing pulsing squats with me on the hour every hour, we started at 30 seconds which was haaaaaard, but are not up to an easier minute and if we say we cannot feel it, we go lower into the squat. still doing blogilates fab feb calendar rotation

Whooo hoooo! Work them glutes & hamstrings girl!! You teach them a lesson!! :grin:

There's not too many of us left posting in this thread huh?! Where y'all at?!

Hair - Same ole', same ole'. Poo'd w/ CON moisturizing poo & DC on Saturday. Wrapped with Motions then cornrowed the next day to be able to work out. I sprayed some Infusium 23 leave-in mixed w/ HE Hello Hydration (new addition), & a little EVOO on my braids & scalp yesterday.

Body - Did not work out on Monday.

Tuesday - 15 minutes of running (1.40 mile) Leg Press, Leg Extension, Leg Curls

Tuesday night at home - Squats, Push-ups, Crunches on Stability ball, Hip Bridges, Planking

I broke my record today running on the treadmill! I didn't feel like working out but wound up running 2.20 miles instead! I barely had time to do my weight machines but I don't even care. I want to make it to the full 5K a whole month before my run! I'm giving myself 3 more weeks to get where I need to be (adding half a mile each week & working on that distance at least 3-4 days a week).

Congrats girl you are doing the da*n thing!

I am doing well down 11 pounds from the start of the year. I will put an update pic at the end of March for both my hair and body. That'll definitely keep me motivated for the next couple of weeks :)

:wave: Remember me :)

I haven't been here in a while but back to give a mini update. (---> . :look:)

I started at 304 and I'm now down to 292. Its aight' considering I just started getting into the groove last month (well...sort of :lachen:)

Anywho, tonight I was browsing through Youtube and went to my subscriptions and seen a vid from one of my FAV Youtubers 'ChocolateTresses'.
Its nothing spectacular just her testing out her new camera, but suddenly she appeared in some shorts and yalllllllll....it hit me. I NEED TO GET MY LIFE RIGHT NOW! She has 4 kids and still looks fantastic! She literally just had a baby 5 months ago and yet her body is slayin' those who have no kids (*points to self :().

According to her past vid's she has a dance history and it made me think. I love dancing, so why not use that as my weight loss catalyst. SOOOOOOOOO I think I'm going to take a plunge and invest into a at home dance workout that suits my personal needs. SO EXCITED!

Anywho here's the vid if any of you are interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXt0z3lUVm8 :)

Update: I've been doing a semi :look: clean eating regimen and introduced lots of veggies and fruits to my meals. Some days I still juice for breakfast and/or lunch. I can certainly tell a difference in my clothes.

Hair Update: I've decided to simplify my regimen. Since I stretch my relaxers, I have realized that my hair gets pissed off from too much manipulation. I actually loss hair through breakage during my last 6 month stretch. My new reggie is wash/deep condition every 10 - 14 days, air-dry; plait; wig-it; repeat. I'll be using my beloved liquid gold under my wigs.

ETA: Forgot to add that I started taking exercise classes this week so I'll be doing that twice per week :grin:

Checking in :yawn:

*lost 2 pounds since starting challenge- And can you believe I celebrated yesterday with Hershey kisses :lick:, left over valentine candy I gave my DH.

*drinking more water
* taking vits everyday

* keeping my hands out of my hair, which is hard for me ...I enjoy doing anything in my hair. I wore a bun for the past 2 weeks.
I'm in my second week of straight hair, I’m going to push for another week and then deep condition next weekend.
Accountability helps ...thanks ladies

P.S
pic below is where my hair and back fat are :lol:
I'll just use this shot ...and update as I lose back fat and gain length:yep:

Attachments

• user13498_pic120921_1359860166.jpg
    user13498_pic120921_1359860166.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I really have been making an effort to take my daily vitamin everyday, but i haven't exactly been consistent. i'm still trying, though.

My hubby made me mad. Make me angry and I spend your money. So, I bought another wig today! I didn't spend that much money on it, however. I bought Freetress Equal Estelle in 1b/30. I plan to keep 1b/30 wig colors in the spring, so besides my Drew, I'm going to have this wig in a few days.

I haven't taken a picture of Drew because I can't get a good picture in it. I'm going to forget about it. Hopefully, I will get a good picture some day. I will wear these... probably more of the Estelle until June. I'll just buy another if it gets ragged.

Hair
Had a couple of days that not posted in here, I have an update, I trim my hair yerterday, but i cut a lot. I'm bot being that consistent with the MN as I was in january, but i'm gonna start again cause last month i saw good growth. This month has been crazy and havn't had enough time in the afternoons and evening to apply it :(. I'l do it even in the morning starting tomorrow.

425988_10151445223869201_1562710472_n.jpg

Body
I've been dpoing the diet perfectly for the last week and lost 2.5kgs. My weight is now 114.7kgs. The diet i'm doing is the one that gave me my trainer a year ago in wich I had very good results. I'm not all set with the workout since we had people working at home, but i'm just getting everything in place so I cant estart again this coming monday.

Measurement updates:

Waist: -1.5"
Hips: -2"
Thigh: -1"
Arm: -.5"
Bust: -2"
Lower Belly: -2.5"

Hey @londonfog, @LadyEuphoria007, @D.Lisha. Everyone!

I'm still here. Man, there hasn't been many posts here!

Last week I mentioned I finally got my drops.
Well, just finished my first week and I am down 4.5 lbs. So glad to be finally losing weight again. I started out at 172.5 and now down to 168.0lbs. Lost about 2" in Stomach (mostly bloat and water), and about 1/2" in Hips.

I have a long way to go and It's not easy all the time, but It's so worth it to me. A 500 calorie diet is no joke. Actually, I've been eating a little over 500 calories. I plan to tighten it up though, to see if I get better results.

As far as my hair, I finally cut those dreaded permed ends after 3 years. My hair is much shorter, but I'm loving the consistent texture.

I have not been exercising either. Usually when I do drops, I don't exercise. But I really want to try and push myself and get in some walking and light strength training.

@strawbewie- I totally understand where you coming from. It's good you keep trying. This past year I've dieted so many times only to tell everyone that I've quit and gained weight instead. But I never gave up. I believed that no matter how many times I messed up dieting, that if I never gave up, that one day...One day....I was gonna get it right somehow. Find what works for you. You can do it girl!

Last edited:
Black Seed Herb
Black seed contains the various amino acids, fatty acids, minerals and carbohydrates and it has been scientifically formulated to produce the Vatika Hair mask treatment cream to deliver complete protection, growth, strengthening and shine for your hair.
habba.png

OK...so my eldest daughter brought her mom a treat "Vatika Habba Sauda Hammam Zaith " Hair Mask …I could not resist, I like the Vatika line but never used this hair mask before . I was planning on going another week before I deep conditioned my hair but here I go. What sold me was the first ingredient listed is “water”.

Product claim:

Vatika Habba Sauda Hammam Zaith
" is enriched with the goodness of Habba Sauda also known as black seed. For thousands of years, the world has recognized the tremendous healing properties of a legendary “Black Seed Herb” and its seeds are widely regarded as “seed of blessing”.

Black Seed Herb
Black seed contains the various amino acids, fatty acids, minerals and carbohydrates and it has been scientifically formulated to produce the Vatika Hair mask treatment cream to deliver complete protection, growth, strengthening and shine for your hair.

How I'm deep conditioning with the product:

I used 4 table spoons, mixed with 1TBL of honey and 1 TBLl of almond oil…. heated for 20 seconds, spread through hair. Had DH wrap my head with cling wrap and then placed a snug knitted cap over my head. I'll wear the cap and cling for several hrs this afternoon, then rinse and do light blow dry ...sealing ends with coconut oil/castor oil mix ...putting in bun.
I'll post how my hair feels later or tomorrow. I have a great feeling about the results. :yep:

Attachments

• VATIKA%20HABBA%20SAUDA%20HAMMAM%20ZAITH_20120514022718.jpg
    VATIKA%20HABBA%20SAUDA%20HAMMAM%20ZAITH_20120514022718.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 11
Hey y'all! I started back lifting and I've just started my 3rd week. Lost 2.2 lbs so about a 1.1 lb a week putting me back at 174.2. I've also started the Eat Stop Eat approach this week.

My hair is a hot mess! Ugh I want to give up. This breakage...this dry *** Albuquerque weather...the lack of cute protective styles... It's all just a hot mess. Idk what giving up will do...lol it's not like it will make my hair grow! *sigh*

I got 3 workouts in last week, my minimum is 3 days max 6 days/week trying to get my running on a regular schedule. I have to check my carb intake it's too much for me to lose as fast as I want. I'm cutting back this week I'm doing a 3 day juice cleansing fast to jump start the carb cutting. Even if I don't have time or feel like working-out I'll do a 10 minute trainer DVD-NO EXCUSES! I'm going to BRING IT!

On the hair front my hair was dry, I've been oiling with my ayurvedic oil blend brhami and brhingaraj (I get them at amazon.com) and going to up to weekly DC treatments alternating moisture and protein and PS-ing my way to HL. Oh you just don't know it is on and crakin.

Last edited:
I'm eating better but have not worked out,

That's Good! You can start off with your eating and then when you're ready add the exercise in. That's what I'm doing; focusing on my eating, then I plan to gradually add light exercise (walking/jog) around the block. So I don't feel overwhelmed doing too much.

Im still sweatin to the oldies. I brought some muscle milk over the weekend to incorporate but that ish is sooo nasty. Sigh I dk what to use it with. I tried smoothies and just 2% milk but ugh.

strawbewie I agree with aliyah7 Getting your nutrition and eating under control is great. Exercise only makes up small percentage of total weightloss efforts and learning portion control and proper nutrition is a great first step!

Hair Goals

Current Length: BSL
2013 Goal Length: Full MBL or grazing WL
Relaxed, natural, texlaxed: texlaxed transitioning to natural
Hair type: 3C/4A, B
How you will achieve goal: regular trims, DC'ing, moisturizing, oil sealing, protective styling, minimal heat

Weight/Fitness Goals

Current Weight: 360 :-( - down 10 lbs
Goal Weight: 260 (180, over all goal but I don't expect to lose 180 lbs by the end of the year)
Current Dress Size: 28-30
Goal Size: 24 (I think) (over all goal size is 12-14)
Fitness Goal: to work out regularly, build muscle, lose body fat, tone,walk up a flight of stairs without getting winded

This is an awesome thread!!!!!

Sent from my dope as f**k Galaxy SIII ;-)

HairPleezeGrow I can only tolerate the vanilla in almost any protein shake but muscle milk has a ton of flavors like banana and strawberry. What kind do you have? You could try blending it with a banana or something.

I wish I could find something that would reinvigorate us. What was our original inspiration to lose weight? Does anyone have a picture of it?

Mine was to be back to 150-something by my anniversary or even by my sister-in-laws welcoming party... both in April.

SO, I have a body like this when on top my hubby...
7DA8C0407EAF8376A0F96EBD99ABF7.jpg

or this flat tummy at sister-in-laws welcoming party...

Igbo-bride2.jpg

lol

Last edited:
I'm becoming vain yall. It takes me a lot longer to get ready everyday because I love looking at myself in the mirror. I haven't even lost that much lol. I guess the small changes are having a BIG impact on my self esteem! I'm still doing p90x and enjoying it. I'm on my fifth week.

I'm at somewhat of an awkward stage right now though. When it comes to my body type, I would consider myself a cone-apple hybrid. I lose weight in my lower body first, then my upper body. My lower body is close to where I wanna be. My upper is lagging behind of course, because that's where its hardest for me to lose weight (upper back, breasts, stomach, and upper arms). But I know that since I'm losing in my lower half, my upper will be next to go!

I'm also dealing with some sagging in my stomach from fat lose right now.

My hair is still being neglected smh. I'm not going to down myself because getting in shape is way more important. My hair is quite thin so will have to work on thickening it. I will deep condition tonight and style heat free.

Checking in …….kind of had an early birthday celebration today ...had casava pone.... just say I had a few thousand calories but was it ever worth it
I'll be good again until my bday on Wednesday ...sometime you just have to enjoy and then get back on the wagon:yep:

Checking in...it's been a while! Been working on fitting exercise in my schedule and making good food choices! My hair is doing ok, inching closer to BSL but I need a trim so it's will be a bit longer before I get there.

I have been eating healthy or low calories six days a week and having one treat day. I have not gone back to exercising but I hope to do so this weekend.

My hair, I'm back to wigging it... I may co-wash and DC this weekend... I need to order a hair length shirt...

apple_natural I love that idea and nice inspiration BTW.

I'm on my phone but ill come back and post mine in a few.

I pulled a muscle in my bicep so I'm trying to nurse it back to health. So I'm off of lifting upper body for now. I'll just do extra cardio on my upper body day this week at the gym.

Sent from my eyePhone. Blog: www.kikishairasylum.com

Checking in (thought you lost me didn't you lol)

January and the early part of February were horrible since I needed to bounce between two jobs but I'm back on track. Haven't managed to remember to take my vitamins everyday but I'm but to three days out of seven. Working out I'm doing Zumba Mondays and Thursdays, Insanity Tuesdays and Saturdays and Jillian Micheal Wednesdays. (Sundays are my be bad days) Since the store is exactly a mile from my house whenever I never little things, I walk so that's two miles almost every other day. (I'm starting to forget things on purpose now.)

As for my hair it has been in 'fro or cornrow mode. Net week I should be finally getting my first set of braids, some booty braids.

Not Going to weigh in until after my b-day in march.

Bye - Bye now and GOOD LUCK to everyone! :)

Back