Hair Growth after a Sew In

Kurlee

my hair thrives with weaves! I use a leave-in (in siggy) every couple of days and my hair just flourishes! I will use them forever for breaks and to retain.

msa

:wallbash:Im about 2 inches away from APL!! And Im thinking of putting in a sew in until I get there. However, I notice that some of you experienced breakage after a sew in. Im wondering if a net weave sew-in would be safer than the traditional sew in???

A net weaves have their pros and cons as well.

If you have weaker hair that can't really handle the tension of sewing, then a net weave is great because the wefts are sewn to the net.

But, in my experience, the net makes it more difficult for me to get to my hair. Even using a spray product is difficult with a net for me.

Skent

I wore a sew in for 2 - 2.5 years. When I first got it in my hair was neck length in the front and shoulder length in the back. I would keep them in for 3 months at a time. Sometimes longer (my hair was like dred locks when I took that one out). I went to my hair dresser to get another weave put in and he was like I didn't need one since my hair was down to my bra strap. At the time I wasn't doing sew ins as a protective style, I was doing it for length. When I was getting sew ins I wasn't taking care of the hair underneath and was washing like every 2 weeks. Needless to say, i thought I was too cute with that bra strap hair and low and behold, it fell out for a number of reasons: My hairdresser was MIA, I didn't moisturize properly and used entirely too much heat. I'm in a sew in now and will keep this in for 3 months and get another one after I take this out. I'm a strong advocate for weaves because it gives your hair the rest it needs and is a super cute protective style (I'm so tired of bunning). Now I know how to take care of my hair underneath and I'm crossing my fingers for some major progress in the next six months.

**Glamourlicious**

I am on my second sew in....the first one I did not really take care of the hair under. This time I have a bottle of oils and MT that I put in between my braids. After reading this....I am about to add AMLA drops to the mix. I WILL reach APL and BSL in 2010 and a weave will get me there.

I am natural and I am SL well I was when I put the weave in....the first one. I have not straightened since like August or July.
I don't plan to straightened again until february when I will get a trim. I was considering a trim when I take this one down in late Decemebr but now so sure right now...

supermodelsonya

sew ins are the only protective style that has given me length time and time again. If I had the money consistently to keep up with it all I'd be MBL by now.

I went from EL to SL then stopped wearing sew ins....and went to NL. Last night I made it back to SL and it's very healthy. My edges look great and my ends are just fine.

I'm wearing sew ins until May 2010 and hopefully I'll be APL then.