hair grease

Lilmama1011

i would say don't apply it to the scalp but use it as a sealer like an oil. but you will get buildup quicker so don't forget to clarify definitely.

Lilmama1011

i don't use grease but im pretty sure your hair still grows with it, it just stunts the growth because its smothering the scalp

Angelbean

I still use hair grease time to time...my mom used it in my hair as a kid and I always had thick long healthy hair so it can't be to bad in my opinion but like lilmama1011 said you just have to clarify to remove build up...

natural2008

I still use hair grease time to time...my mom used it in my hair as a kid and I always had thick long healthy hair so it can't be to bad in my opinion but like lilmama1011 said you just have to clarify to remove build up...

Amen........

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I tried using every oil known to hair-divadom, but my highly porous strands just laughed at the effort and just...broke off :ohwell:

So grease it is! I avoid the scalp but dont worry too much about it. I just clarify twice a month. And you know what? My retention is waaaaaaaay better.

Also, I avoid using grease when going into long term protective styles and use a thick butter before the install, like crochet braids or twists. Just making sure my hair absorbs water and DC moisture since I wont be taking it down to wash for weeks at a time.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I'll whip out a Jar of Grease in a Second.:lol:

But more of the Natural Blends, for example (in no particular order):

Claudie's Hairline & Temple Revitalizing Hair Balm
Hairveda's Almond Glaze
N'Joi CreationS Herbal Hair Dressing
Nature's Blessings
Naturelle Grow's Rosemary & Parsley Pomade and NG's Honey Hair Balm
The Pomade Shop's Peppermint, Rosemary, Coffee Pomades
Camille Rose Ajani Hair Balm
Darcy's Botanicals Eucalyptus & Mint Scalp Butter
SheScentIt's Exotic Hair Pomade
Komaza's Scalp Butter* discontinued (supposedly reformulating)
Oyin's Sugar Berries and Oyin's BSP.

So, yeah, I will use a Hair Grease. No ill effects.

And these Natural based ones are easier to remove with little to no buildup.

jenn132013

Come check us out in the Oils, Grease, Pomades Thread.

overtherainbow

When I was transitioning, I got the softest hair when I sealed with grease. I aways clarify monthly and shampoo 2x a week so build up wasn't an issue. Now that I'm completely natural, I found that thick butters do the same thing. I just use pure shea/mango butter blends from the supermarket that are marketed as body butters. My hair loves it, but I'm not too proud to use the blue grease again.

Aviah

Grease caused my hair to be weighed down and dry, but greasy. Water based stuff always worked better for me. I used to get a flaky itchy scalp too, but that stopped when I quit grease. It does work for some, but definitely not me.

emada

I agree with avoiding putting grease on the scalp. I used to do that back in the day and only ended up with dirty, greasy, weighed down hair, especially when the grease had the petroleum/ mineral oil/ lanolin combo.

I use Parnevu T-Tree Herbal Grow as my grease now to seal in the winter. It's just petroleum with a bunch of great essential oils and ceramides.

PatTodd

I use grease on my natural curly hair, never my scalp but now that I am natural I no longer notice dry scalp anyway. I am not very picky either, and usually use Softee Indian Hemp or Bergamot because they are easy to find. I am happy to say my hair is super healthy and grows just fine.

prettybyrd

I have been a grease lover for a while. I was using Nature's Blessings, but the scent started to get to me again. I've since found Natural Oasis Hair and Scalp Conditioner.

While it has the look of traditional greases, it's quite soft and has nothing I wouldn't already use on my scalp. Yep, you read that right, I use it on my scalp. Winter is murder on my scalp, and I needed something to combat the dryness, and it worked like a charm.

I was concerned about acne and it hasn't been an issue. I tie my hair up at night and keep a clean case on my pillow. My hair is never greasy because I don't glob it on, I just use a little - a dime size amount - on my entire scalp, and then use an equally small amount on my ends. I don't reapply too much before washing, and my hair is growing well.

I doubt I keep up with the grease (on my scalp) once it's warm, but right now, I'm great!

This grease is made of: EVOO, castor oil, jojoba oil, argan oil vitamin E and A, Herb and flower blend, naturally fragrant. (It smells like Hubba Bubba bubble gum:lick:)

Last edited:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I use Hairveda Almond Glaze. It's grease, but no mineral oil and what not. I also like My Honey Child Sophia's Hair Grease.