Hair color gurus... I need your opinion, please

CarLiTa

I REALLY REALLY want to get a colourshine and I've FINALLY found a picture of the color I want. NOw I just need to know which colourshine to get. I'm planning to get the Sebastians, but I don't know which name *as in, neutral brown or whatever* to purchase. This is a picture of the color:

shavonda21b1_300.jpg

I see that they have one called Brilliant Brown, which is:

Sebastian Colourshines by Cellophanes - Brilliant Brown

If you're looking for shine and condition with pure colour thrown in. A medium saturated cool brown with red-violet undertones.

Brilliant Brown is perfect over medium to dark brunettes. It warms colour without strong red, gold or violet tones

-- would Brilliant Brown be the right one to get so that my hair turns out this color?

Last edited:
What is your natural hair color?

Brown colorshines won't lighten so if your natural hair color is dark brown or darker it will just deepen that color.

well my hair is dark brown, i think, but now it has a lot of red undertones, mainly uptop because the sun really lightened it.

i was also thinking, could i apply the brilliant brown colourshines on the top half of my hair, and just neutral brown on the bottom?

i've seen people who do that, the bottom part of the hair is darker and it looks really nice AND it makes the hair looks fuller. I have medium thickness and would love for my hair to look extremely thick :)

I wish I could help. Would u consider using Jazzing colors too? It looks kind of like this jazzing color. (I have never gotten this shade of Jazzing or colourshine before tho) Let me see if I can find it online.

ETA: I believe it is called Spiced Cognac, but I don't know if this is too bright or not.

hmm maybe with the darkness of my hair, it would come out like that... i'm just afraid of going too light. Where would u find Jazzing?

Rinses do not produce anything drastic on naturally dark hair, unless you go with a dark color.

If you have natural highlights, rinses can enhance those colors but it will probably only be visible in sunlight. As far as colors, usually the red rinses show up the most on dark hair but even then it's more of a tint effect. Sometimes they can wash down to a brownish red too. I used Red-ality in the past..

The only way to lighten your hair is with bleach/ammonia

CarLiTa said:
hmm maybe with the darkness of my hair, it would come out like that... i'm just afraid of going too light. Where would u find Jazzing?
They should sell it at the BSS and in Sally's.

:eek: no bleach for me, sorry... it's hard enough combatting dryness, not with extra chemicals, no way, lol

so u're saying, the way to go is to get a brighter color so that it can show up like I want it, I guess? i guess i'm going to have to rethink this then :ohwell:

Hey Carlita! I'm in the same boat as you, I want a colourshines color but I didnt want to have to bleach my head and have to deal with dryness so this is what I did: 4 weeks after I relaxed my hair, I gave myself a few very small highlights in the front and I didn't bleach my hair, I used Dark and Lovely's Golden Bronze. I'm strecthing my hair (12weeks) so I figure that gives me time to condition and re-hydrate my hair until my next relaxer and afterwards use colourshines to give my hair the effect I was looking for. Currently I'm trying to decide on what color rinse I think would compliment my brown hair and the highlights.

Good Luck! I love your hair and I can't wait to see your update ;)

I wanted to do a mahoghany brown color, I thought Colorshines would have been able to get me there, but I guess I'll have to wait it out. :(

@Carlita please let us know what you decide to do and show pics. TIA

I still haven't decided... I was thinking of trying a lighter color than the brilliant brown, so that against my dark hair, it comes out somewhat like Shavonda's hair in the picture.

Can do they highlights with rinses? as in use the Colourshines or whatever else and only apply it to small sections of the hair? :look:

Well whatever I decide to do, I will keep you ladies posted. I know that I defintely will not use anything with ammonia or peroxide b/c I already have dry hair and I want to enjoy my hair next year, so I don't want to kill myself trying to keep it moisturized when it's already pretty hard right now.

ps: thanx for the compliment lveurself :)

Yeha if you want dramatic hten youre probably gonna need some type of bleach. I think medium highlights (nothing really high like blond) gives a good effect. Trust me Id never color my whole head EVER again. Try highlight a shade ot 2 lighter then your natural hair. RInses really wont be seen unless youe standing in the sun... Sorry. Maybe a clear rinse would make your natural highlights stand out... Im sure it would but youd have to see for yourself. On a lighter note rinses do not damage your hair because they do not lift (bleach).

Back