Hair Color Advice

Iansan

I got a relaxer and a black rinse yesterday. I don't really care for the color and want to go lighter. Would it be safe to get highlights with a permanent color so soon after getting a rinse? Will the black rinse affect the outcome of the highlights? How long should i wait to get the higlights? Sorry for all the questions! TIA!

jaiku

It can be done but I would go to a professional. Depending on the base color of the rinse your highlights may come out a funky color. Like green when it should be blond. If you just only used a rinse try using a clarifying shampoo or uncolor to remove it.

balisi

buttafly said:
I got a relaxer and a black rinse yesterday. I don't really care for the color and want to go lighter. Would it be safe to get highlights with a permanent color so soon after getting a rinse? Will the black rinse affect the outcome of the highlights? How long should i wait to get the higlights? Sorry for all the questions! TIA!
Didn't you get the relaxer just yesterday? If so, and you want your hair down the drain instead of on your head, sure it's okay. Otherwise, you should wait at least two weeks after a relaxer before seeking permanent haircolor services.

balisi

Also, go to someone who knows haircolor well if you want to make this change IN TWO WEEKS. :lol: By "black rinse" I imagine you mean haircolor that is gone in 4-6 shampoos or 4-6 weeks. The fact that it was applied after a fresh relaxer could cause it to act like permanent color, which can definitely affect the process of going lighter.

dimpalz

I totally agree with balisi. It's the relxer that would cause a problem not the rinse. I think they say to wait so it decreases the chances of triple processing the hair during your next relxer - think this freshly touched up hair, the colour u'd put on it to lighten (thats double) and then risking a little overlap (thats triple)

I waited 2 weeks, but it's probably safe once you feel that little "kink" of new growth poking thru. To be on the safe sid you could always have the highlights put in with a root - u know about 1/8 inch or so from the scalp - to be super-careful.

balisi

That's right. The damage comes from the relaxer chemicals causing the hair shaft to soften and swell, and the color chemicals doing the same thing, penetrating the cuticle of hair that has already been compromised from the relaxer. The hair needs a chance to recover in between these harsh services. In the meantime, focus on deep conditioning in order to fortify your hair.