Color Rinse Regrets

Jalen's Mom

Ladies,

I had my stylist add a dark brown color rinse to my hair in hopes of covering my gray. It worked to cover my gray, but my hair looks black now. Keep in mind I went from dark brown hair with bronze highlights, so it's a shocker. BTW, this was done with my relaxer..not sure if this matters. I think the color is too strong for my complexion. Any ideas for lightening or fading this rinse? Can I add another color rinse? Color suggestions?

TIA! :grin:

shunemite

Easy! If it's a rinse, all you have to do is use a clarifying shampoo and the color will come out. That simple, then put the color you really want. The shampoo will strip your hair of moisture though, so you'll have to follow it by a deep condition.

Now since she did this the day of the relaxer the rinse went under the cuticle (hair cuticle is still open the day of the relaxer) so it might take more than one wash for the color to really fade. By more than one wash I mean more than one wash DAY, like maybe 2 to 3 weeks if you wash your hair every week.

Desarae

It'll rinse out after a few shampoos.

OT: I'm Jalen's mom too! (I have a son named Jalen)

Jalen's Mom

Easy! If it's a rinse, all you have to do is use a clarifying shampoo and the color will come out. That simple, then put the color you really want. The shampoo will strip your hair of moisture though, so you'll have to follow it by a deep condition.

Now since she did this the day of the relaxer the rinse went under the cuticle (hair cuticle is still open the day of the relaxer) so it might take more than one wash for the color to really fade. By more than one wash I mean more than one wash DAY, like maybe 2 to 3 weeks if you wash your hair every week.

I washed with a clarifying shampoo, and it's as dark as ever. I'll keep washing. It's so dark, I was thinking about washing every day for a week to see what happens. Once I get some of this color out, then I'll move on to a new color. I'm going to do this one myself. If I mess it up, I have no one to blame but myself.

Thanks for your advice!

shunemite

I washed with a clarifying shampoo, and it's as dark as ever. I'll keep washing. It's so dark, I was thinking about washing every day for a week to see what happens. Once I get some of this color out, then I'll move on to a new color. I'm going to do this one myself. If I mess it up, I have no one to blame but myself.

Thanks for your advice!

No prob! They say a strong rinse lasts 6 weeks :wallbash: Also, grey hair takes color faster and holds onto it longer than other hair colors. Something about the texture. For your next rinse, Jazzing and Beautiful collections are some mild ones that won't break your hair off. If you go to Sally's to buy your rinse (has to be peroxide and ammonia free or it's not a rinse) they have some good charts that show your current hair color and what color the bottle you're buying should look like. Some other BSS have those charts above the bottles but not all.

Theresamonet

Thanks for your advice!

What brand of rinse did you use? I may need some of that, cuz mine runs out when I deep condish and my blond shows through. I use Kiss in jet black.

Jalen's Mom

What brand of rinse did you use? I may need some of that, cuz mine runs out when I deep condish and my blond shows through. I use Kiss in jet black.

I am ashamed to say this, but I have no idea what brand my stylist put in my hair. All she said is that it was a rinse. I should probably call and find out. :perplexed

shunemite

It's always the color you don't like that won't come out when you wash it, and your favorite color fades in a jiffy.