hair chalking - let's talk about it

So hair chalking is the latest hair trend ( justs ask pintrest :lol: )
I decided to try it out. A while ago I was obsessed with having jet black hair with purple highlights :spinning: however I didn't want the damaging effects of bleach so needless to say my hair just came out black.
fast forward to today.
I'm going to a huge mardi gras party tomorrow night and decided to try the hair chalking trend because how ridiculously cool would it be to have purple green and yellow highlights in my hair?

I'm glad I played around with it today. easiest way to apply:
use SOFT chalk pastels (or the more expensive hair chalk brands can be bought at ulta)
wear gloves
wet hair WITH SOMETHING MOISTURIZING
detangle! you won't be able to comb/brush hair after it's been chalked
lay desired section against palm
now the fun part: COLOR! gently til your hearts content :drunk: *try to go in only one direction (down) and use long strokes **the more you color the more intense the pigment
flip section over to color the underside etc, make sure all strands are fully coated
let air dry (or maybe you could dry on a roller? but I feel like to only have color at the tip you could only roll the piece up to how much you colored and would have to roll that piece separately. or maybe could use a flexi?)
use flat/curling iron to seal in color
chalk might be everywhere by the time you finish but no fear! it easily cleans with water (except clothes)

my experimental results!

Attachments

• image-1322924088.jpg
    image-1322924088.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 119
  • image-2607245107.jpg
    image-2607245107.jpg
    435.4 KB · Views: 128
  • image-1178238694.jpg
    image-1178238694.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 110
  • image-2683388371.jpg
    image-2683388371.jpg
    479.7 KB · Views: 103

Fhrizzball

When I want a splash of color I use cream eyeshadow. Mixing eyeshadow/chalk with gel or something might be a healthier alternative too. Lovely results though. How did it look with the rest of your hair?

I'm going to be doing tips/highlights the ought out my head today. I'll definitely post pics!!
yesterday was the trial to make sure it'd work before I jack up my hair before a big event lol

it was definitely really drying. which is why I switched to using a moisturizing spritz instead of water to wet my hair.

Last edited:
When I want a splash of color I use cream eyeshadow. Mixing eyeshadow/chalk with gel or something might be a healthier alternative too. Lovely results though. How did it look with the rest of your hair?

how did you mix them and apply? I feel like you would have to crush down the chalk first... do you have any pics or tuts?
I may try mixing w aloe Vera gel next time and skipping the flat iron

Fhrizzball

With just the cream eyeshadow, I apply it straight to the hair. Here is a couple pictures of when I last did. it. It's on old oily hair and doesn't look as vibrant as it did in person though.

And here is someone that did it with gel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChPsk-X_Sks
http://www.lhdctv.com/2012/12/diy-hair-color-how-to-safely-and.html

CurlyNikiki's version is beyond wonderful as well
http://www.curlynikki.com/2012/10/blue-highlights-anyone.html

the color came out pretty good but made my hair crazy dry but it did comb out. I think next time I will definitely try the gel cream eyeshadow for more intense color

Attachments

• image-1645716496.jpg
    image-1645716496.jpg
    429.1 KB · Views: 28

yuhlovevybz

Gorgeous!!!!! I've been thinking of trying this but Im heat free and only gave myself 3 passes for 2013. I think I'll do it for Fourth of July if there's a party, red white n blue. Your hair looks beautiful!!