HAIR CHALK...PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR OPINION!!!

cocomama

Hello Ladies,

I want to create an ombre look by using a Dark brown color on my ends. Of course I don't want to make a permanent commitment so...I'm thinking about purchasing some hair chalk. Has any one else tried it? If so what brand/color?

http://www.amazon.com/Fashion-Non-t...d=1370120499&sr=1-3&keywords=black+hair+chalk

HanaKuroi

It is drying. But it works. It is in a thread somewhere.

We decided that eyeshadow was less drying.. I think it was color riche eye shadow that gave good color.

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

Last edited:

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
I agree about the eyeshadow.
Longhairdontcare on YT made a colored gel with eyeshadow (I think. Or it could've been lipstick. Don't remember.) I have used hair chalk and while effective, I found it to be super messy and drying on my hair. Chalk, duh I guess. But eyeshadow is a much better option. IMO, colored gel is even better. Start with maybe 1/4 cup of gel to experiment. I've had great results getting any color I wanted. To get more opaque/brighter color, add white eyeshadow then your preferred color. When the gel dries the color is much more stable and doesn't just rub off. But when you wash your hair, it comes right out. Smiles all around. :)

via LHCF App

Tibbar

Thanks for the info ladies! Was looking for a little color for the summer, something different but not permanent... Sorry to hear the chalk is drying cause I already bought some of it on Etsy!! :ohwell:

I might use it anyway and try to preemptively counter the drying effect.. :perplexed OR I might just return it without using it .... :lol:

Blairx0

I saw some at Blick recently. It came in a small container and you inserted you hair and moved the container down your strands and it deposited color. Much the same way you insert your hair into a comb.

I don't see why it would be drying

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
Some ladies are fortunate not to experience dryness after chalk, but many do.
If you think back to being a kid and helping teacher erase the blackboard, you may remember your hands being extremely dry afterwards, even after rinsing.
Chalk is magnesium carbonate, and even the colored variety for hair is a formulation of this. If you've ever watched gymnasts or weightlifters they often dry their hands with it to prevent sweat-related slipping. It IS a drying agent.
It's possible to use an oil &/or conditioner to attempt counteracting the effects but as I posted earlier, my personal experience is that it's drying and particularly messy and eyeshadow is a much better option.
But perhaps it will work for you.
Good luck! :)

via LHCF App