Hair can't get enough moisture: Is anyone else's hair like this?

HairBarbie

My hair hates protein, I can(and have started) deep condition 3 times a week with a moisturizing deep conditioner and my hair would never get mushy. Protein seems to break my hair, light or heavy, I think I'm only going to use it once every 8 or 6 weeks. If I go two days without a moisturizing deep conditioner my hair starts to break Does anyone else have this? Is it normal or a sign of damage?

Also I moisturize daily with ORS olive oil lotion (I've being trying to find kids organics shea butter) and seal with almond oil.

Yes I know it's a somewhat silly question.

I can comiserate because my hair hates protein, too. The problem for me is that I cannot for the life of me find an effective daily moisturizer. I have worked the search engine into overdrive looking for a viable recommendation to no avail. Everything that I have tried either contains protein, makes my hair feel hard, or does nothing at all. Trust me, you are not alone.

Try Ultra black hair care's lotion creme moisturizer. That's whats been working for me since the summer. just a suggestion :O)

Now my hair loves moisture and hates protien too.....BUT needing a DC everytwo days does sound like a bit much.

I have learned that butter or creamy type "moisturizers" dont work so well for me... Ever since I started to use Porosity Controll after my final DC rinse water based moisturizers like Aphogee provitamin leave in and the green tea/keratin my hair loves me! I discovered that my hair needs water based moisture

I also seal lightly with unrefined coconut oil.... I used to moisturize twice a day and now I can go two days... also this has extended the amount of time i could go between my washes

I also have been using Paul Mitchell "the conditioner" leave in and so far so good....it has only been a week so the jury is still out on this one lol

That's been my hair's craving lately as well. I DC with Silk Elements Mega cholesteral every other day (I poo almost daily with a moisturizing sulfate free shampoo because I work out everyday). I'm planning on doing a protein treatment for the week before I relax at 12 weeks post. That's it for now until my hair tells me otherwise.

I'm sorry, but I can't answer if this is a sign of damage or not. But you are definately not alone.

My hair hates protein, I can(and have started) deep condition 3 times a week with a moisturizing deep conditioner and my hair would never get mushy. Protein seems to break my hair, light or heavy, I think I'm only going to use it once every 8 or 6 weeks. If I go two days without a moisturizing deep conditioner my hair starts to break Does anyone else have this? Is it normal or a sign of damage?

Also I moisturize daily with ORS olive oil lotion (I've being trying to find kids organics shea butter) and seal with almond oil.

I can comiserate because my hair hates protein, too. The problem for me is that I cannot for the life of me find an effective daily moisturizer. I have worked the search engine into overdrive looking for a viable recommendation to no avail. Everything that I have tried either contains protein, makes my hair feel hard, or does nothing at all. Trust me, you are not alone.

I can relate to you both, because my hair is like this as well. I've tried many products that people rave about on this board, but they just didn't work for my hair. :sad: My hair does not like glycerin (it dries my hair out something terrible) and that is frustrating, because a lot of products that I tried contains this. Many products just dry my hair out.

I'm using something now as a daily moisturizer (Jessicurl Weekly Deep Conditioner) that might be a winner for me, but I'm still not 100% sure if it's going to be a staple, because it has only been a few days since I started using it.

Hey Barbie!

I'm not trying to steal your thread, what brand of moisturizing deep conditioner are you using? The reason I ask is because I was wondering why my hair kept begging for moisture, as opposed to protein, and I found out Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose has ceramides as it's 4th ingredient.

Please read ------>http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=442532

ladies use ORS olive oil in the jar not the bottle that says lotion.. :grin:

My hair loves moisture, it thrives on it. So I just go with it and give it what it wants:lachen::lachen:. My hair loves water, humectants, glycerin, protein...you name it my hair loves it.

My hair is a major moisture whore
I don't think it's too fond of protein either, So I eat a lot of protien in my diet so I don't use it one my hair any more.

I have been using Extra Virgin Olive oil for the last month or so. and I have to keep my hair baggied practically around the clock. This winter has not been kind to my folicles.

Try Ultra black hair care's lotion creme moisturizer. That's whats been working for me since the summer. just a suggestion :O)
My hair is like this...I have to be careful with protein. But UBH Lotion Creme Moisturizer ALWAYS works for me. Go to: Ultrablackhair.com

Thanks for the suggestions, ladies. My hair dislikes coconut oil immensely, and AO HSR and AO GPB give me "hard hair," so I tend to only use them occasionally.

I am going to look into the ORS in the jar (the one in the bottle makes my hair feel dry) and the UBH lotion (and anything else that is mentioned because I am desperate :lachen:). I even researched Hairveda and Shescentit to no avail; I'm off to compare Mizani and Redken now...

Thanks again, everyone, and OP for making this thread that I am shamelessly milking. :grin:

Ditto...my hair loves moisture... protein not so much...I usually use a butter or s-curl ..butter if its dry scurl if its wet... it works for me... NTM deep recovery mask = crack for my hair.. best dc ever

My hair is like that as well. It hates any kind of protein. If theres even the slightest bit of protein in a deep con my hair knows and will respond by getting hard dry and brittle. I only use a protein deep con when needed like when I relax or if my hair gets mushy which isnt often, and even then I dont do anything hardcore. I use ors hair mayo for my protein dcs.

I do think that having to dc every few days and moisturizing everyday is a bit much. Until I tried natural dcs my hair hated me. The one thing you have to look out for if your hair is anything like mine is hidden protein in moisturizing dcs. The only dcs I have found that dont have any protein in it is Myhoneychilds olive you, honey hair mask, and karensbodybeautiful's luscious locks hair mask. I swear by those three dcs alone. Whenever I have tried something else I always end up regretting it.

Also try dcing overnight on dry hair before you shampoo and then dc after you shampoo

Hey Barbie!

I'm not trying to steal your thread, what brand of moisturizing deep conditioner are you using? The reason I ask is because I was wondering why my hair kept begging for moisture, as opposed to protein, and I found out Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose has ceramides as it's 4th ingredient.

Please read ------>http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=442532
I was using AO HoneySR and the Cameilla, but stopped towards the end of last year because I felt like it wasn't working as well as Humecto and decided to go back to Humecto in the big jar.

I didn't know this, very interesting. Thanks.

Qhemet Biologics' Amla and Olive Heavy cream & Burdock Root Butter Cream are very moisturizing leave-ins/moisturizers.

Ditto...my hair loves moisture... protein not so much...I usually use a butter or s-curl ..butter if its dry scurl if its wet... it works for me... NTM deep recovery mask = crack for my hair.. best dc ever
I used to use S Curl when I first started, it did moisturize my hair, but it made if feel sticky and look dull. Maybe I ought to give it one more try.

This is my list of moisturizers, I'm going to research them and chose one.
1. S-Curl
2. Ultra Moisturizer
3. ORS in a jar
4. Paul Mitchell leave in
5. Qhemet heavy creme and burdock

Deep conditioners
1. Aphogee Pro-vitamin
2. Green tea keratin
3.Silk elements cholesterol
4. Jessi Curl weekly deep conditioner
5. NTM deep recovery mask
6. My honey childs olive oil
7. Honey Hair mask
8. Karenbodybeautiful luscious locks.

Which oil do you guys find most moisturizing? Someone said Coconut, but I thought coconut is a protein oil.

It use to be now i found what works for my hair.
I use taaliah waajid mist bodifier along with my growth aids (essential oils) slep with baggie and turbie for 3 days out of the week. During this week I will wear cornrows and a wig. This will get the moisture balance back in my 4bezzy hair. :) I use to do it twice a month or when my hair was very dry also eat nuts and vit E pills drink lots of water. Remember there has to be a balance on the inside of our bodies. I am 6mnth post and have minimal to no shedding and my hair is not as dry as it use to be. HTH

I'm thinking that my hair hates protein as well. A lot of products that I used to use- Cantu Shea leave in, only protein conditioners, infusium spray and aphogee sprays, Aphogee 2 min. every time I washed, so many of my products had protein...made my hair so dry and broke off. It's taken me over a year to realize I have protein sensitive hair..duh.

I'd like to try that Talia Bodyfying mist, and maybe Quemet or Oyin products. I think my hair only needs protein a few times a year. It's hard finding completely protein free conditioners and leave ins.

I'm slow..is coconut oil a protein?! I use that bad boy like everyday...and my hair stays dry....

Have you tried ORS Olive Oil (jar not bottle)? I had the same problem and this stuff worked like a charm for me!

Last edited:

How often do you clarify and restore your hair's PH balance ?

Yes, my hair is protein sensitive and will break if it even sees protein and/or if I don't regularly DC/moisturise. However, since I started using Roux Porosity Control, it's gotten MUCH better. It's helped me retain moisture, so now I only DC twice a week (sometimes once - when I'm feeling lazy). The PC coupled with the ORS Olive Oil is working really well for me right now. Although, I've added ceremides (walnut oil & Biolage Conditioning Balm) to my regimen, so that is also helping.

I'm slow..is coconut oil a protein?! I use that bad boy like everyday...and my hair stays dry....

No its not, but it easily penetrates the hair making it stronger.

OP, oils generally seal moisture in and are not moisturizers. I recommend hemp seed, grapeseed and almond oils as sealants. Coconut oil is great for shine, but it makes my hair hard.

Ladies make sure you are eating healthy and drinking enough water. I was slacking on my nutrition and water intake and my hair was dry ALL the time and no products seemed to work effectively. Over the last month, I have increased my water intake and started taking vitamins which has helped my moisture retention tremendously.

Now my hair loves moisture and hates protien too.....BUT needing a DC everytwo days does sound like a bit much.

I have learned that butter or creamy type "moisturizers" dont work so well for me... Ever since I started to use Porosity Controll after my final DC rinse water based moisturizers like Aphogee provitamin leave in and the green tea/keratin my hair loves me! I discovered that my hair needs water based moisture

I also seal lightly with unrefined coconut oil.... I used to moisturize twice a day and now I can go two days... also this has extended the amount of time i could go between my washes

I also have been using Paul Mitchell "the conditioner" leave in and so far so good....it has only been a week so the jury is still out on this one lol

OP - be weary of using the coconut oil. it actually aids in retaining protein so if you are as protein sensitive as you say coconut oil definitely isnt your best choice :nono:

Back