Growth w/o Vitamins??????

mzcaramelicious07

I was wondering if anyone on here has had good growth w/o taking vitamins. I have added about 5 vitamins to my regimen since joining the board and my hair texture has changed. I don't like the change either. :( So, if length can be attained w/o all of these vitamins, I want to do it that way.

Also, has anyone experienced dryness from MSM? I deep condition twice a week (been doing this for a while) and all of the sudden my hair has been really really dry. The only thing that I can link it to is MSM because I just started it a couple of wks ago. I don't know what is up!

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
My hair has always grown pretty well (without vitamins). I am taking vitamins for my body's health, not just for my hair. Some are for my hair, but I am thinking primarily of my body......getting older. It just so happens that my hair can benefit from some of the products I'm taking for my body...such as the omega-3 fish oil, MSM, and protein shakes. :) I am taking the biotin and panthothenic acid primarily for the hair. The amounts that I take are an experiment for now. I will probably reduce them drastically at some point in the near future.

InsertCleverNameHere

Vitamins don't change the rate of growth for my hair. None of them did.

The only thing that seems to be making my hair grow faster and thats consistent exercise.

Lorraine

Your hair should grow without vitamins but those such as GNC's NourishHair and others allow me to retain my hair and keep my normally flat, thin hair -- thick. Are you taking all five of these vitamins daily? If you're taking too many vitamins your body can't process it all. I only take a woman's vitamin and hair vitamin.

mzcaramelicious07

Lorraine said:
Your hair should grow without vitamins but those such as GNC's NourishHair and others allow me to retain my hair and keep my normally flat, thin hair -- thick. Are you taking all five of these vitamins daily? If you're taking too many vitamins your body can't process it all. I only take a woman's vitamin and hair vitamin.

As of right now, I am taking Biotin, Niacin, MSM, Flax See Oil, A Cod Liver and Evening Primerose Oil Combo, A Multi, Vitamin C, L Cysteine, Horsetail and 3 vitamins to combat a hormonal imbalance. I just started taking the Vit C, L Cysteine and Horsetail pills yesterday. I believe I'm going to throw out the MSM, Niacin and the oils cuz the oils produce little bumps on my forehead.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I wouldn't say I have good growth, because my hair grows pretty slowly. But it never grew faster from taking vitamins so I don't take them anymore. On the other hand I eat very clean and healthy most of the time.
I believe it's better to have a healthy diet and get your vitamins that way.

mzcaramelicious07

FlowerHair said:
I wouldn't say I have good growth, because my hair grows pretty slowly. But it never grew faster from taking vitamins so I don't take them anymore. On the other hand I eat very clean and healthy most of the time.
I believe it's better to have a healthy diet and get your vitamins that way.

Okay... not to take away from the thread (dang....wasn't I the one who started it???!!), but MAN your hair is tight! If I had that length, thickness, texture, etc. there would be no need for anything else. You'd see me on this board talking about, "Nah...I'm just chillin'...my hair is already the bomb!" lol

Anyway, I do believe that I am going to bump my vitamins down to a multi, biotin, the 3 to combat my hormonal imbalance and just take others whenever I feel. I was up to about 12 vitamins a day!

sugaplum

Star Shooter
I noticed that once I stopped taking the GNC Nourishair, my hair didn't grow as fast and the texture changed.

I found out that my body likes MSM, Silica, & Biotin together. So instead of taking the Nourshair, I just take these along with flaxseed oil and a multi-vitamin. :yep:

senimoni

sugaplum said:
I noticed that once I stopped taking the GNC Nourishair, my hair didn't grow as fast and the texture changed.

I found out that my body likes MSM, Silica, & Biotin together. So instead of taking the Nourshair, I just take these along with flaxseed oil and a multi-vitamin. :yep:

How much of each are you taking.

mzcaramelicious07

sugaplum said:

Silica is the same as horsetail, right?

sugaplum

Star Shooter
mzcaramelicious07 said:
Silica is the same as horsetail, right?

Ohh yes. The only difference is the price of silica is higher then horsetail. I've never used horsetail, but I will pick some up this weekend. :yep:

mzcaramelicious07

sugaplum said:
Ohh yes. The only difference is the price of silica is higher then horsetail. I've never used horsetail, but I will pick some up this weekend. :yep:

I just started taking it a couple of days ago. I did a research project on vitamins for a class and I found that another benefit from horsetail is it dries up excess oil on the skin. So, I'm also going to be looking for that cuz my nose has really large pores and is always oily. Little droplets just sit on top of the pores!

ETA: I got 2 bottles of 440 mg, 100 ct of horsetail from ebay for like 8 bucks.

Last edited:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Growth can definitely happen without vitamins... it's happen all my life. I didn't start taking vitamins until I joined this forum! :grin:

webby

Think Slim
I always forget to take vitamins, although I plan on it each morning, but I still get a decent amount of growth. However, I do eat pretty well.

mochamadness

Going the Distance
I don't take vitamins and my hair is growing fine without them. Like many, I don't think I'd be able to remember to take the vitamins daily and most of the hair vitamins are huge. I'd probably choke every day trying to swallow them.

Ayeshia

my hair grows pretty well without them...so I can imagine how much better it would grow if I started taking them :) I dont have the patience to swallow though :rofl:

senimoni

I look at the vitamins more long term as in retention vs growth...ie making my new hair as strong as possible.