Growing Long Hair - Professional or Self Care?

uniquev11

I was wondering if the ladies who have grown hair to bra-strap or longer did so while going to a professional stylist regularly or while doing it on their own.

For instance, I know that Zanna is below waistlength and she does her own hair and PeachTree also did her own hair which grew to bra-strap length. I think Adrienne said that she used to do her own relaxers until her hair got to bra-strap length. Has anyone grown their hair long while going to a stylist on a regular basis?

I am interested in knowing if people feel that they can reach some of these long hair goals better in the hands of a professional or in their own hands.

Thanks.

buffyangelfan2

I did it on my own. It was going to the salon that helped mess me up in the first place. I trusted someone else to do what they felt was best for my hair because they were professionals and therefore, I thought they knew best. I was going to the salon so there was no reason why my hair should have been as damaged as it was. I went to a few different ones before I decided to do my own hair. I quit going to the salon for 2 years and got it to the length it's at now on my own. I now go to the beauty shop only for an occasional relaxer or flat iron. And I know longer feel that beauticians know everything.

FineChyna

it would appear that long hair is a result of self care since most stylist are too busy and have too many clients to take care of your hair and figure out what your hair needs. you are around your hair 24/7 so its easier for you to see changes or forth coming problems than a stylist who sees you only for a touch up or a wash and set.

i know you said bra strap people and no i don't have bra strap length hair but like i said many times before, my hair became healthier and stronger once i took control and stopped asking for my stylist to help me or figure out the problem. many stylist care about their clients hair to an extent but not the same way you care about your hair.

although many here still see a stylist, their hair success was more than likely a result of the care that happened at home, not at the salon

northernbelle

FineChyna, I could bot agree more with your comments.

I regularly report to my mother all of the wonderful things I am learning via the LHCF, and she is excited that I have begun to take more control of my hair's care and health. In fact, in many respects, I think that collectively we here at the LHCF know as much if not more about hair than many stylists.

I think it is important to empower oneself, and to not completely turn over the care and well-being of our hair to stylists. The same is true with physicians.

northernbelle

AngieK

<font color="brown">Personally, I think it can be done either way. However, in order to do it with professional care, it means that you are putting your trust in someone else. It is ESSENTIAL that you find someone who can understand your goal, and who is willing to share your hair care philosophy. For example, if you decide that you want to use all natural products (shampoos, conditioners, vinegar, etc.), they should at least be willing to try it and accommodate your desire - - pending the results. If the products/methods end up not working out, then you should be able to make decisions together regarding changes to your regimen. You also should NOT have to battle over when to trim your hair . . .

On the other hand, self care can be beneficial because you have TOTAL control over your hair destiny. However, you must be willing to do some research, and experiment with trial and error in order to find the best hair care regimen for your needs. You have to also be responsible and strong enough to accept any mistakes (over/underprocessed hair, uneven trims, etc.) as a learning experience. It may take a while to get it right, but in the end self reliance would pay off.

I do my own hair now - washing, conditioning, and relaxing. I like the results now, but I also liked the results when I was going to my tried an true stylist back home (before I moved). So based on my experience, I really think that healthy longer can be achieved either way - - both ways present different challenges.

AngieK </font>

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I totally depend on a stylist for my chemical application and that's all. I don't go to the salon in between relaxers. I would like to be able to apply my own relaxers, but I've been down that road earlier in life and ended up with broken hair. I know that I wouldn't be able to do it on my own without over-lapping.

Tracy

ITA!

My journey included mostly my own self-care relying on stylists only to relax me. Even that was done under serious supervision on my part. And basically - what I say goes. That's the rule of thmub on that one. Going to the salon for me, is always an excercise in scrutiny. I WATCH EVERYTHING they do. From the temp of the water used to wash my hair, to the finishing products used when I'm done. Nothing gets by me. If you approach your visits to your stylist with that degree of diligence (no matter how much you THINK you turst them) I think you'll fare well.

I think it can be done either way, but it depends on your stylists attitude and your aptitude for various aspects of maintenance.

My aptitude did not include self-relaxing for ex. - so I never attempted it.

aqualung

Successful home care is a combination of consistently using styling products/techniques that work, and using mild (if any) chemicals infrequently.

My mom's hair is long like Adrienne's. She went through a phase during her 20s in which she identified products and techniques that worked for her. No more salons. Now she relaxes at home, wears her hair up a lot (registered nurse), and presses only occassionally for straight sets. Vigorol is milder than lye relaxers, so her styling time for straight styles is longer than typical. But she saves money on salon visits, and is used to having complete control over the condition of her hair. She says "Megon, you can't go to a salon and keep hair on your head." Mom's my #1 hair hero!

I personally think black women who don't have the time or patience to identify products/techniques that work well at home can still grow long hair, but they'll have to find and pay a good stylist to help.

I want to find my own way.

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
I totally depend on a stylist for my chemical application

[/ QUOTE ]
Same here (every four months for a relaxer touch-up).

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
FineChyna, I could bot agree more with your comments.

I regularly report to my mother all of the wonderful things I am learning via the LHCF, and she is excited that I have begun to take more control of my hair's care and health. In fact, in many respects, I think that collectively we here at the LHCF know as much if not more about hair than many stylists.

I think it is important to empower oneself, and to not completely turn over the care and well-being of our hair to stylists. The same is true with physicians.

northernbelle

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the challenge and pleasure of learning how to do everything myself, even if I make mistakes. I like being empowered. I've had good and bad experiences in the past with stylists and I've learned a lot from all of those experiences. So far so good with my hair, mainly since I started on this board.

Valerie

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="brown">Personally, I think it can be done either way. However, in order to do it with professional care, it means that you are putting your trust in someone else. It is ESSENTIAL that you find someone who can understand your goal, and who is willing to share your hair care philosophy. For example, if you decide that you want to use all natural products (shampoos, conditioners, vinegar, etc.), they should at least be willing to try it and accommodate your desire - - pending the results. If the products/methods end up not working out, then you should be able to make decisions together regarding changes to your regimen. You also should NOT have to battle over when to trim your hair . . .

On the other hand, self care can be beneficial because you have TOTAL control over your hair destiny. However, you must be willing to do some research, and experiment with trial and error in order to find the best hair care regimen for your needs. You have to also be responsible and strong enough to accept any mistakes (over/underprocessed hair, uneven trims, etc.) as a learning experience. It may take a while to get it right, but in the end self reliance would pay off.

I do my own hair now - washing, conditioning, and relaxing. I like the results now, but I also liked the results when I was going to my tried an true stylist back home (before I moved). So based on my experience, I really think that healthy longer can be achieved either way - - both ways present different challenges.

AngieK </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree with you what you said AngieK, I unfortunately have never been lucky to have someone to trust, so I have to learn to look after my hair myself. I don't think I can really trust anyone anymore with my hair.

beana3

I tried to do everything on my own.. and for the most part i have been successful. One thing that i absolutely cannot take into my own hands is relaxing. I've caused many problems for myself being my own test dummy

Other than that i am completely self sufficient. I still have a phobia of salons and stylists; so much that i am kind of waiting for a mishap. My next visit will be the true test, as my stylist will be "correcting" underprocessed hair. I plan to have a consultation with her about her methods since the UP hair starts 3 inches down the strand and continues for about 3 more inches and then is regular the rest of the way down. The minute she says she will be running it through, I'm out!!
I want her to apply it to those areas ONLY.. which will require immense attention. I'll update you all on my consultation (which i may do next week out of curiousity).

Okay i realize that i have strayed from the subject and now i'm done.

bellydancer

[ QUOTE ]
Successful home care is a combination of consistently using styling products/techniques that work, and using mild (if any) chemicals infrequently.

My mom's hair is long like Adrienne's. She went through a phase during her 20s in which she identified products and techniques that worked for her. No more salons. Now she relaxes at home, wears her hair up a lot (registered nurse), and presses only occassionally for straight sets. Vigorol is milder than lye relaxers, so her styling time for straight styles is longer than typical. But she saves money on salon visits, and is used to having complete control over the condition of her hair. She says "Megon, you can't go to a salon and keep hair on your head." Mom's my #1 hair hero!

I personally think black women who don't have the time or patience to identify products/techniques that work well at home can still grow long hair, but they'll have to find and pay a good stylist to help.

I want to find my own way.

[/ QUOTE ]

PREACH!!!! I completely agree with everything your mom said.

Spagirl

I go to my stylist every 2 months for relaxing. Every 4-6 months for split ends check and evening up trims.

keke

"I don't think I can really trust anyone anymore with my hair. "

thats exaclty how im feeling, except on braids. I wouldnt mind some1 doing that. But the other kind w/perms/and styling and stuff i dunno. Plus i also bought a book called "Cutting for Dummies', suttin like that so i can learn how to trim my own hair. :^P

shell

i grew mine to bra strap doing it myself. everytime i went to a beautician, she would cut off the amount that i got in new growth. i also ruined my hair myself. fine with me. at least i am to blame instead of being mad at someone else. still doing my own hair (relaxer, flat iron, end clipping). with the help of this board, i am a few inches shy of bra strap again.

A_Christian

I am also currently going to a stylist only to get a relaxer
and doing everything else myself. This is a big relief because when I was going to stylists regularly they would want to trim all the time and perm every six weeks, and I don't want that. Now I make a decision on when to get a relaxer and when to get a trim. It's true that you can tell a stylist don't trim now or tell them you are trying to extend the time between relaxers, but some of them want to argue and I'd just rather avoid the tension all together.

Lindy

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. I think that besides relaxing, I take better care of my hair than any stylist at a salon could. I like doing my own hot oil treatments, protein treatments, &amp; deep conditioning. A stylist usually doesn't have time to go thru all those steps. Also, why would I want to pay them an extra $10 for a deep conditioning when I can do it myself at home for SOOO much less??? Thanks to my diligent hair care, my hair is now longer than it's EVER been in all my 30+ years!!!!

i12sitonmyhair

Chero-Khoi American
Yeah, I prefer to do all of my own hair care. My hair is always healthier when I don't go to the salon. (I haven't been to a salon for the past 5 yrs.) The last time I went, my stylist said, "Hmm...I don't know why all of my clients' hair is falling out."
He hasn't seen me since! I thought it was just MY hair. I did home relaxers for about a year after that, then I decided that my hair didn't really need a perm. If I want it to be bone straight, I can blowdry or get a press 'n' curl. Turns out, that I haven't wanted it that straight for several years now. It's actually quite manageable now that I know how to take better care of it.

Also, I didn't like how beauticians always want to cut your hair so the strands in the back are shorter than the ones in the front. You know, so it's all even when you comb your hair back or wear it down? I like to wear my hair up so I need that length in the back, too.

I went through 3 BIG CHOPS, and each time, my hair was longest when I took care of it myself. I have a hard time trusting "experts", too. Just look at all the "expert" diet advice (off subject)! They can't agree on anything!

Honey01

I think this can really depend on the stlyist and their commitment to overall hair health as opposed to just stlying. Now a days, I usually only go to the salon for relaxers. I think I would go more often if I could find someone who truly understood my goals (at a REASONABLE price). As a side question, do you guys think there is such a thing as "growing hands". I once read about a stlyist in my city that supposedly had this. If I recall, she made her clients sign a contract promising to abide by her guidelines. In the pic, the stlyist and her daughters all had long hair.

localhost

<font color="purple">
I'm an advocated for self-care due to my experiences in salons. I've had my hair relaxed every six weeks with a trim, overprocessed, underprocessed...I've been laughed at and stared at because I had dandruff, my hair was nappy and unstyled (who styles their hair right before their salon appointment
), the products were a mystery due to the bottles being unlabeled or turned around, and the list goes on.

The final straw for me was when my stylist argued with me over me not wanting a trim then combed/blowdried my hair angrily, causing a lot of breakage.

Ever since, I've been doing my own thang and my hair is much better off. I now believe that those with the healthiest hair obtain it through their own abilities over the long run. </font>

Lucia

I have yet to find a stylist that respects or even tries to understand my hair goals.

As soon as I mention I'm growing my hair out they tell me how dmaged my hair is and how unrealistic a goal it is for my natural hair, then they always want to cut 2-6 inches off.
I haven't been to a stylist since last year, I just do it myself. The only people I can somewhat trust to cut my hair professionally are those $10.99 haircut people at the mall-they do exactly what I ask them to do.

auntybe

I haven't found a stylist that could really do everything that I needed him/her to do to keep hair on my head long term. I know what works and what doesn't for my hair and a lot of times the stylist I went to only use products that they were taught to use in school or what the owner of the shop uses. I will continue to use my stylist for weaves and an occasional trim. Everything else I will do.

Tebby1017

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. I think that besides relaxing, I take better care of my hair than any stylist at a salon could. I like doing my own hot oil treatments, protein treatments, &amp; deep conditioning. A stylist usually doesn't have time to go thru all those steps. Also, why would I want to pay them an extra $10 for a deep conditioning when I can do it myself at home for SOOO much less??? Thanks to my diligent hair care, my hair is now longer than it's EVER been in all my 30+ years!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so true...many stylists don't even offer these services and if they do you're there all day long. My hair reaches the top of my brastrap, BTW, and I love caring for my own hair. I do go to get it "doobied", but sporadically.
Also, I go when I need my hair relaxed.

Tebby

nita4

I'm going to have to go to get a relaxer and maybe an ocassional trim once I see how the stylist works, but everything else I will do myself. I've been interviewing stylist and if they respond to my questions in a negative manner, I'm out of there.

Boadicea

I've actually grown my hair to bra-strap both ways but stopped going to professionals because of:

1. TOO MUCH HEAT-fried the heck out of my hair, yet my hair kept growing. Unfortunately, I have split ends up the wazoo from all of the heat

2. Too much pulling-I have never met a stylist yet who understands that you have to not only detangle hair in sections, but you have to go at it very slowly and from the BOTTOM UP, not from the top to the bottom. I lost too much hair in some sections

3. I can deep condition my hair for not only however long I want using whatever deep conditioner I want, but I can do it for no charge

Doing my hair myself is also promotes more growth because I only tuoch my hair once every two weeks. My scalp has time to do it's on thing and my ends are in a baggie with oil (presently Meadowfoam oil which is a fabulous moisturizer) so they're never dry or exposed.

Honey01

Your right about the detangling. Once, I had to take the come away from one of the assistants and detangle my own hair. It's like if I wanted to do the work, why am I paying you?

Dutchess

I used to go to the salon faithfully every two weeks for years. Sure, my hair looked great but the length stayed the same for all of those years. I didn't get - how you could have new growth every 6-8 weeks and never see the length. My beautician would use the same products on all of her clients when we clearly had different hair types. I learned a lot about my hair from reading a popular hair care book, then I started doing my own hair. I do my own re-touches, deep conditionings, protein conditioning, I wash my hair 2-3 times a week, I moisturize everyday, trim when needed and I stopped using heat on my hair (except on special occasions when I want a different look). Since I have been doing my own hair I have noticed significant results. I took the 365 day challenge and achieved 6 inches of hair growth. At this time, from crown to end my hair is approximately 22 inches long. This is the longest my hair has ever been and this is due to my reading and research. I also attribute my success to the people at LHCF. I have learned so much from their advice, experiences and recommendations. At this time, the only way I would go to a stylist is if they were willing to read my hair care book and take on the regime that I now have in place.