Greys at the root of braids

abioni

What do you do to cover greys while wearing braids? I dyed my hair less than 3 weeks ago and got braids 2 days ago and my root is all grey. I didn't expect to see this much greys so soon.

I plan to wear these braids for at least 6 weeks. What can I do to cover the greys. They feel much more visible with the braids.

What do you do to cover greys while wearing braids? I dyed my hair less than 3 weeks ago and got braids 2 days ago and my root is all grey. I didn't expect to see this much greys so soon.

I plan to wear these braids for at least 6 weeks. What can I do to cover the greys. They feel much more visible with the braids.

May I ask what dye you used?
I know henna is popular but it's too many steps for me Lol.

I don't advise this but I had a relative spray the roots of her braids because she was having that same issue.

I bought a root spray last fall. It felt like spraying ice on my scalp. It felt really cold, I didn't like that feeling. It also didn't last more than a day or two, which meant I had to spray it frequently.

May I ask what dye you used?
I know henna is popular but it's too many steps for me Lol.

I use Wella Colorcharm Demi Permanent Cream Hair Color. It doesn't dry my hair out like some brands and henna/indigo do. Don't know if it matters but my hair is relaxed.

I found the video below. I like the idea of applying dye directly to the roots with a small makeup brush as it would last longer but I'm not sure it's safe. I'm worried about the dye rinsing out completely.

I have the same issue; I want to be wearing these braids for at least 4 more weeks.

I've tried the spraying my roots before I don't mind the cold of the spray the coldness is momentary. I don't like how dry it makes my hair and how dull the color looks and the constant reapplications.

The mascara gets on everything and both products will build up over time. I really don't know what to do, I considered embracing my greys but I'm still not quite ready for that yet.

Be careful, I used Demi Wella Charm in Black for 2 years and it ate my relaxed hair up before I noticed what was happening, my hair still recovering from it two years later.

How did it eat your hair? Was your hair breaking?

I use Olaplex after every dye treatment so maybe that's why I'm fine so far.

How did it eat your hair? Was your hair breaking?
Yep, hair started breaking within the back and back sides of my hair so I didn't notice as it started a little bit at a time. My hair was not dry but I noticed I was getting new growth but was not growing longer. I still had not put the pieces together!

Went to a trichologist and she said I my hair is still growing from the root but it is not reaching its full potential for some reason. When I told my hair braider whom I suggested Demi for her roots, she said she noticed hair fall and stop using it right away. That's when clicked, Demi mixture. I cut my hair into a pixie cut and allowed my hair to go thru its changes to get it back to optimal health. Roots still recovering since I last used it 2 yrs ago.

I found the video below. I like the idea of applying dye directly to the roots with a small makeup brush as it would last longer but I'm not sure it's safe. I'm worried about the dye rinsing out completely.

I went this route since I have greys that are spread out all over my head and applying something to the root of the braids individually will be too time consuming, especially if I have to reapply it constantly.

I used Clairol Semi-permanent Moisturizing color. Chose it because it's Semi-permanent and it claims it's it's non-damaging and safe to use on all types of hair. Can even be used right after relaxer. Left it in for an hour. It came out well. I will find out if it caused any damages after I take down the braids.

Yep, hair started breaking within the back and back sides of my hair so I didn't notice as it started a little bit at a time. My hair was not dry but I noticed I was getting new growth but was not growing longer. I still had not put the pieces together!

Went to a trichologist and she said I my hair is still growing from the root but it is not reaching its full potential for some reason. When I told my hair braider whom I suggested Demi for her roots, she said she noticed hair fall and stop using it right away. That's when clicked, Demi mixture. I cut my hair into a pixie cut and allowed my hair to go thru its changes to get it back to optimal health. Roots still recovering since I last used it 2 yrs ago.

Can you please expand on "my roots are still recovering..." Did you find that it also thinned out your hair?

Can you please expand on "my roots are still recovering..." Did you find that it also thinned out your hair?
Hair is growing, but I believe the two chemicals were too strong for me. My hair took a long time to get out the stage where it's growing but not progressing. My hair would get new growth but still not gaing length. So when I say my roots, that is what I mean. My hair is gaining length now but it definitely took about two years for the damage to my hair follicles, epidermis or the tissue that lies beneath my scalp to subside.

Back