Grey hair at tips and black roots

HanaKuroi

What causes hair to be white at the tips and black at the roots? I have about 8 of these. It seems to be in the areas of regrowth only where I had thinned my edges due to gels and elastic headbands.

I use Weleda Rosemary hair oil. Here are the ingredients:

Arachis Hypogaea (Peanut) Oil, Tri-Folium Pratense (Clover) Flower Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Arctium Lappa (Burdock) Root Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Oil, Limonene (Natural Constituents of the Essential Oils), Linalool (Natural Constituents of the Essential Oils), Geraniol (Natural Constituents of the Essential Oils), Coumarin (Natural Constituents of the Essential Oils).

Could any of these ingredients cause this?
I use extra dark jbco occasionally in the breakage area as well.

mg1979

I'm not sure how much of the tip you mean, but I had a time where I had little white tips caused by heat damage.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Tiye

Sometimes follicles stop producing melanin for a bit then start again. So that's why you can have grey/white ends and dark roots. Eventually those strands are going to go white altogether.

HanaKuroi

Tiye said:
Sometimes follicles stop producing melanin for a bit then start again. So that's why you can have grey/white ends and dark roots. Eventually those strands are going to go white altogether.

Well, I am 40. It was just so strange. Oh well, here come the grays. Thanks.

HanaKuroi

mg1979 said:
I'm not sure how much of the tip you mean, but I had a time where I had little white tips caused by heat damage.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I don't use heat. It is the very tips.

Prudent1

HanaKuroi,
I have experienced the same thing. It was after I introduced Nettle tea to my diet. I drink it. I've never used it as a rinse. Within about 2 weeks I noticed what you are describing. I was pleasantly surprised! I don't go out of my way to hide my greys but I'm not ready to be completely silver either:lol:.

Mz.MoMo5235

I pluck out my grey hairs and I always throw a fit when I pluck one that has black roots because I convinced my self that was a grey going back to black and I just ruined it :lol:

I dont know why it happens and for me its not just the tippy tip of my hair. I'll have a whole strand that is silver and the roots (about an inch or less) will be black.

starfish79

I've had a few where the end of the hair is black the middle is grans and then went black again at the root. I think for me it has something to do with high amounts of stress and/or low iron levels.

Mz.MoMo5235

I've had a few where the end of the hair is black the middle is grans and then went black again at the root. I think for me it has something to do with high amounts of stress and/or low iron levels.

I never even thought of that. I'm anemic and my brother who I care for is schizophrenic. So low iron and stress are a major factor in my life regularly.

Solila

Bump.... Can this also be due to malnutrition? Are there supplements out there for this?

Prudent1

Zinc kinda helps.
I read this recently. As it just so happens, I recently (like this week)introduced zinc as a stand alone supplement into my diet. It was for completely different reasons but we'll see what happens as far as hair pigmentation goes :lol:. I am only taking it a couple of days a week so far. :yep:

gn1g

ive experienced this for years. I think it is directly related to what you are eating. some foods prevent hair from turning gray i.e. cooper zinc.
how much of this you eat at various times.

Kindheart

I need a lot of zinc cuz I m quite grey On the sides , I dye my hair every 3 weeks cuz I can't stand seeing those silvery strands at 34