Going to the Salon Every Week

Livingmylifetothefullest

How do you feel about someone who goes to the salon weekly just to get a shampoo/conditioner? I was talking to an associate and some how we got on the subject about shampooing your own hair and that's when she told me that she goes to the salon every single week to get this done. She has waist length hair and said that she doesn't know how to do it on her own so she pays someone to do it for her.

ClassicChic

I see nothing wrong with this. If this is how she treats herself........I want to be like her when I grow up.

I use to be like this when I first went natural. I had a standing weekly appointment because I did not know how to wash my natural hair/scalp properly. I have since learned how to.

I simply love the feeling of having someone else washing my hair.

JuiceMobsta

How do you feel about someone who goes to the salon weekly just to get a shampoo/conditioner? I was talking to an associate and some how we got on the subject about shampooing your own hair and that's when she told me that she goes to the salon every single week to get this done. She has waist length hair and said that she doesn't know how to do it on her own so she pays someone to do it for her.

I think that is fine if that is what she wants to do because its her money:yep:

But I just dont understand how she doesnt know how to shampoo/condition her own hair by now? :huh: Lol...maybe its just me but I was doing that myself way back in middle school...:look:

Butterfly08

We love to spend someone else's money sometimes :look:. Personally, I am glad that I am capable of taking care of my own hair, and enjoy it most of the time. For me it would be a waste of money. But I'm sure people might look at my large nail polish, clothing and makeup collection and say the same thing.

I would likely never go weekly for hair appointments, but I understand the need to splurge in some areas and let someone else do stuff for you. For some women, it's their hair. My weakness is pedis, but I only do them monthly.

tri3nity

I was a salon diva too until my stylist of 9 years became ill and I didn't trust anyone to touch my hair. Didn't think I could "learn" to shampoo and flat iron my own hair.

BoaterGirlKim

I like to do big things with my money and look at stuff like weekly salon visits as frittering it away but to each her own, especially if she doesn't have the knowledge and confidence to care for her hair properly.

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
I can understand why she would do that though...waist length hair looks nice, but I imagine washing it can be hard work for someone who doesn't know the tricks that can make it easier.

Personally, I love the feeling of getting my hair washed in a salon.
They get all up in the scalp and scrub it in a way that for some reason, I just can't replicate. After they finish, it feels like I have a brand new scalp. Especially when they use a peppermint shampoo. Wooh, my scalp is tingling just thinking about it.

I love being a DIYer, but as far as I'm concerned, you just cannot beat a salon shampoo job. If I had the money, and if I could just go in for the shampoo and then go home to DC and rollerset, I'd be hitting up the salon weekly.

JuiceMobsta

Believe me, I was wondering the same thing. She's almost 30.

Yeah to me that part of hair care is pretty simple to learn, so all she does is go to get it washed? She can style it herself and take care of it throughout the week but cant wash it?:look:

teacherjess

If I had a trusted stylist and the money, I would do that

I do feel blessed to have learned good techniques to maintain myself at home. Not only does it save $$ but my hair is the longest & healthiest its ever been. I'd rather spend my money on DIY products & tools for home and learn from the hair boards...its more fun than going & sitting at a salon! But to each her own. I ain't mad at her if she's got the money and thats what she likes to do.

NaturalBoss

I know how to wash my own hair and take care of it. But if I had the extra money to go to the salon every week, then I would. There ain't nothin' wrong with that! Right now I'm working on paying cash for my new Mercedes. I will just continue with my Aussie Moist co-wash for now :grin:

Livingmylifetothefullest

Yeah to me that part of hair care is pretty simple to learn, so all she does is go to get it washed? She can style it herself and take care of it throughout the week but cant wash it?:look:

Yep. I asked twice why and she told me both times, it's because she doesn't know how to do it herself.

Butterfly08

I know how to wash my own hair and take care of it. But if I had the extra money to go to the salon every week, then I would. There ain't nothin' wrong with that! Right now I'm working on paying cash for my new Mercedes. I will just continue with my Aussie Moist co-wash for now :grin:

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!!! :grin:

Miss_C

I can't hate on her if it's working for her. I used to spend a lot of $ at salons but then I went through a financial rough patch and started trying to to my own hair. I'm out of undergrad and just now learning how to cornrow, flat twist, and flat iron. Some girls start that stuff in 5th grade!

LittleLuxe

I don't see the big deal.

If she can afford it and her hair is healthy then she should continue doing what works for her.

Shampooing my hair is extremely relaxing and it feels great, I also know how it feels to have someone else doing it for me and frankly I wouldn't say no to someone taking over as long as they were gentle and took their time.

She's a big girl, she can make her own decisions.

Seraphina

My grandmother does this but she also gets it styled. I don't have the patience for it.

Sadly, it doesn't surprise me that much to hear black women claim that they don't know how. I think a lot of us have been conditioned to believe that our hair is too difficult and complicated to ever do it by ourselves. A lot of stylists have managed to make their clients feel dependent on them.

IrisDaVirus

Personally I wouldn't do it. I've long grown distrustful of any hands in my hair/scalp besides my own. But if she has a trustworthy hairdresser and can afford it then more power to her. To each his or her own I guess.

Last edited:

Bnster

Nah I'll keep my money and my time. I can't imagine the hassle of waiting to get it done when you can do it yourself to wash your own hair. I think it is not the washing but the setting she is going for. I am no pro in setting my hair looking like I just came out from the hairdresser. I like running my hands through my hair and scalp and massaging it where I want exactly as needed.

Now for doing the relaxers for me I go to the salon to get done. Who knows, maybe in the near future I will be brave enough to do it myself.

hairedity

NICE!!:yep:

Solitude

I don't see anything wrong with it. I've been a complete DIYer for over a year and I'm ready to go back to the salon, but I'm trying to save money. If you have a stylist you trust, it can be quite a relaxing experience.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
I can understand why she would do that though...waist length hair looks nice, but I imagine washing it can be hard work for someone who doesn't know the tricks that can make it easier.

Personally, I love the feeling of getting my hair washed in a salon.
They get all up in the scalp and scrub it in a way that for some reason, I just can't replicate. After they finish, it feels like I have a brand new scalp. Especially when they use a peppermint shampoo. Wooh, my scalp is tingling just thinking about it.

I love being a DIYer, but as far as I'm concerned, you just cannot beat a salon shampoo job. If I had the money, and if I could just go in for the shampoo and then go home to DC and rollerset, I'd be hitting up the salon weekly.

ITA with the bolded.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

If my stylist were reliable and i didn't spend 8 hours in a salon, i'd definitely go for it. I definitely don't see a problem with it.

She should know how to shampoo her own hair, though.

But I can't do it because i've been burned by stylists in the past, so it doesn't work for me at this point in my life.

~NanCeBoTwin~

I used to go to the salon every week when I could afford to do so, I loved it and my hair thrived. As long as you are going to someone you trust and feel comfortable with I think its wonderful.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I was once a religoius bi-weekly salon visiter AND I didn't know much about hair care partly because I didn't have a need too. I was paying my stylist to be the expert. She and I somewhat had a falling out because she became this high and mighty stylist who felt like her ish didn't stink. I bounced and now I have a stylist with limited capability. All she knows how to do is relax (Design relaxer) and roller set. I feel that she's very boring of a stylist so I don't frequent her bi-weekly. I only visit for relaxers (~6 to 8 weeks). I'm learning to care for my hair from home and having fun (most of the times). I had BSL hair when I was going bi-weekly so I can kind of understand her situation. Not to mention, my hair always tangled back then and that's just awful to deal with from home. Now that I know what products to use, the tangles are few and far between and is manageable from home.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

This was my experience to a T.

I was once a religoius bi-weekly salon visiter AND I didn't know much about hair care partly because I didn't have a need too. I was paying my stylist to be the expert. She and I somewhat had a falling out because she became this high and mighty stylist who felt like her ish didn't stink. I bounced and now I have a stylist with limited capability. All she knows how to do is relax (Design relaxer) and roller set. I feel that she's very boring of a stylist so I don't frequent her bi-weekly. I only visit for relaxers (~6 to 8 weeks). I'm learning to care for my hair from home and having fun (most of the times). I had BSL hair when I was going bi-weekly so I can kind of understand her situation. Not to mention, my hair always tangled back then and that's just awful to deal with from home. Now that I know what products to use, the tangles are few and far between and is manageable from home.

If they can afford to, so what? I used to go every two weeks. But, my wallet could no longer do it and I wanted healthier hair solutions, so I stopped.