Gift for a Friend who is Natural

tryn2growmyhair

If you were going to make a gift basket of hair products and books for a friend who is natural what products would you include in it? I am relaxed, so I have no idea what I would put in it and thought I would ask some of the naturals for advice. She is a type 4.

Nay

Everyone has been raving about the Asha's Naturals products. They aren't too expensive and seem to be a board favorite! (I haven't tried them, though)

Maybe you can get a thing or two from that site.

cocopuff

tryn2growmyhair said:
If you were going to make a gift basket of hair products and books for a friend who is natural what products would you include in it? I am relaxed, so I have no idea what I would put in it and thought I would ask some of the naturals for advice. She is a type 4.

Goodness, I wish I were your friend. I have natural 4a coily hair and I have used natural products from the following hair lines: MyHoneyChild, Oyin,Qhemet Biologics, Carol's Daughter, and Asha's. There are sample packs from all of these lines except for MyHoneyChild, who sells samples seperately of most of her popular products.

If you are looking for particular products to order from the lines, I would suggest

MyHoneyChild: www.myhoneychild.com
Jamaica Islands Shampoo and Conditioner
Honey Hair Soy Milk
Sophia's Old Fashioned Hair Grease
Sophia's Coconut Hair Jel
Honey Love Moisturizer
Type 4 Hair Cream
Caribbean Hair Cream or activator

Oyin- I would just order the 5 product sample pack from this line www.oyinhandmade.com

Qhemet Biologics- same as above www.qhemetbiologics.com

Carol's Daughter- they have gift baskets listed on her site as well, but the prices are higher than the others. I think the Saturday Morning Special basket sums the hair products up nicely. A price increase will take effect on April 15,2005 for these products, so I would order before then if you could. www.carolsdaughter.com

Asha's- this line also has a sample package called the Take Me Home gift set which features some of her most popular products. However, I would suggest the Heavenly Hair Pudding as well, which is one of her new products not featured in the set. www.ashasnaturals.com

Oyin and Asha's take the longest time to ship, from my experience,but the products are handmade, and I feel that they are worth it. I don't know of any natural hair books because I have never read any of them, but I think there have been a few discussed on this site, maybe you could do a search. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

balisi

How much are you looking to spend? Were I to make such a gift basket, I would include my all-time favorite natural hair care book "Good Hair: For Colored Girls Who've Considered Weaves When The Chemicals Became Too Ruff" by Lonnnice Brittenum Bonner. It is a quick, easy, entertaining and informative read. I would include Aveda Sap Moss Shampoo and Brilliant Conditioner. I believe you can get Aveda sample sizes for about $6. A couple of Suave conditioners would be good (for conditioner washes), as well as a non-alcohol gel. Also consider a couple of silky scarves for use as hairbands, and a satin bonnet and/or satin pillowcase.

cocopuff

Oh, I forgot. Maybe you could include a Denman brush or a couple of bra-strap headbands. The Denman appears to be a popular item among the people on this board, but I got the Goody knockoff and that works very well on my hair, but I'm not sure if it works as good as the original. The bra-strap headbands are also available on the myhoneychild.com site. She has some nice accessories that have been added to her site and that is where I intend to order mine, but you could also find them on other websites on the internet, just do a search.

sillygurl18

Shea butter
Textured Tresses (or a book like that)
Detangling comb or brush
Hair accesories( headbands, click clacks, scarves, flowers)

All of the previous posted suggestions are good ideas.