Getting another install today + Hair Brand (pic heavy)

Kneechay

Hey y'all. As you know, I just took out my last sew in after three months 2 weeks ago. I got a lot of growth and my hair now is thicker. I took care of it and did research before the install so I wouldn't have a set back. I'm following Ediese's growth with weaves regimen.

Initial post about sew in: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=370753&highlight=

The thing is, now, I'm getting a little paranoid about having my hair out. I don't know. Also, we'll be going to Nigeria soon for my grandmother's funeral and I wanted something simple I can maintain while I'm overseas. I got so used to the ease of the weave. I'm getting another install at 3pm today, about an hour and I wanted to post a quick before pic and since lots of folks asked about the hair I used, I'll also post that.

I deep conditioned and used my hair butter mix. (I made a hair butter out of melted raw african shea butter, tablespoon olive oil & castor oil, 2 tablespoons coconut oil and rosemary oil for fragrance. I whipped it and let it sit. It makes a super moisturizing hair butter that melts in your hand and I used it these past two weeks for a twist out and after washes)

I suggest this brand because I washed it EVERY weekend and it held up so well. I was told it could be reused and it totally could. Like I said in an earlier post, the girl in Houston that does my install is so good, I could have gone a 4th month.

I'll also post pics with a timeline of the sew in and I'll comeupdate with pics of it, plus the Nia Long install style I'm gonna go for this go round.

Today lightly blowdried right before install. Its still damp in parts and i only blowdried it so she could grip it for cornrowing. I didnt want to post pics from the front, I look like a crazy lion, my hair's so big.

Goddess Remi brand just in case for those who were interested

a month into the install

2nd-3rd months-

(ignore my dancing friends, thats me from the back)

a little bit past 3 months.

missed a wash day, so I wore a hat

The day I took out the install. Notice it still looked good.

I guess if anyone's interested in doing this method, do research on people in your area and their method of cornrowing. Some techniques can damage your edges. I also sometimes did braidouts so I wouldnt need to use heat or straighten, but I failed to take pics of those.

This is the Nia Long style I'm going for, I figure it's longer layers/bangs. Wish me luck that it actually ends up looking like this.

Last edited:

janaq2003

Dang! I know I said I don't care for weaves on myself but, I am loving yours! I would love to have this done!!!

SimplyBlessed

Girl ur weave iss soooo cute...I use to be the weave queen but it took a toll on my hair....

be careful with the constant braiding b/c it can = thinness....my hair was superthick but after so many sew ins and braids...whoa :wallbash:

how long of a break do u take between the sew ins? I would take it out and put one right back in...which is a :nono:

Beautiful hair though!!

msa

Great hair!

Weaves are addictive aren't they? They're so much easier to deal with and you can do whatever you want to them without messing up your own hair.

Ediese

You look really beautiful in all the pics, but especially this one..It looks like you have such a great group of friends. I'm so jealous. I need to find hangout partners closer to my age.

You already know I love your real hair, and your weaves are always on point too. The blowout look is so thick and full! I've been interested in trying the Goddess Remy, but I hate straightening my hair. I can't wait to see the Nia Long look. I know it'll look great on you.

I'm looking for someone new and cheaper for my next install. Is she expensive and do you think she can install curly hair well?

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
Yeah your hair is beautiful but where the heck do you shop? Lucky I ain't your friend IRL because I'd be drooling in your closet, LOL!

Ediese

Girl ur weave iss soooo cute...I use to be the weave queen but it took a toll on my hair....

be careful with the constant braiding b/c it can = thinness....my hair was superthick but after so many sew ins and braids...whoa :wallbash:

how long of a break do u take between the sew ins? I would take it out and put one right back in...which is a :nono:

Beautiful hair though!!

You're absolutely right. I took a break for a couple months because my stylist mentioned that it does take a toll down the line. I try to take at least a 2-4 weeks in between for my installs.

panamoni

Wow, that looks great! And you washed it every week, and it still looks great. You did a fantastic job maintaining it. Boy, that would be great to help be complete my 6 month relaxer stretch.....hmmmmmm...

Stepiphanie

Wow you looked flyy with that weave. Can't believe it looked so nice even after all that time. Definitely will look into that hair.

cmw45

Hey y'all. As you know, I just took out my last sew in after three months 2 weeks ago. I got a lot of growth and my hair now is thicker. I took care of it and did research before the install so I wouldn't have a set back. I'm following Ediese's growth with weaves regimen.

Initial post about sew in: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=370753&highlight=

The thing is, now, I'm getting a little paranoid about having my hair out. I don't know. Also, we'll be going to Nigeria soon for my grandmother's funeral and I wanted something simple I can maintain while I'm overseas. I got so used to the ease of the weave. I'm getting another install at 3pm today, about an hour and I wanted to post a quick before pic and since lots of folks asked about the hair I used, I'll also post that.

I deep conditioned and used my hair butter mix. (I made a hair butter out of melted raw african shea butter, tablespoon olive oil & castor oil, 2 tablespoons coconut oil and rosemary oil for fragrance. I whipped it and let it sit. It makes a super moisturizing hair butter that melts in your hand and I used it these past two weeks for a twist out and after washes)

I suggest this brand because I washed it EVERY weekend and it held up so well. I was told it could be reused and it totally could. Like I said in an earlier post, the girl in Houston that does my install is so good, I could have gone a 4th month.

I'll also post pics with a timeline of the sew in and I'll comeupdate with pics of it, plus the Nia Long install style I'm gonna go for this go round.

Today lightly blowdried right before install. Its still damp in parts and i only blowdried it so she could grip it for cornrowing. I didnt want to post pics from the front, I look like a crazy lion, my hair's so big.

Goddess Remi brand just in case for those who were interested

a month into the install

2nd-3rd months-

(ignore my dancing friends, thats me from the back)

a little bit past 3 months.

missed a wash day, so I wore a hat

The day I took out the install. Notice it still looked good.

I guess if anyone's interested in doing this method, do research on people in your area and their method of cornrowing. Some techniques can damage your edges. I also sometimes did braidouts so I wouldnt need to use heat or straighten, but I failed to take pics of those.

This is the Nia Long style I'm going for, I figure it's longer layers/bangs. Wish me luck that it actually ends up looking like this.

This is SO true. During my first/and only install my hair was braided into a beehive style. The edges of my hair suffered tremendously which is why I am currently braided up. Why braiding pattern do your recommend? Is your install a fullhead (meaning zero hair left out)?

TIA!

Kneechay

Beautiful hair though!!

Thanks. I totally see where you're coming from. I think damage comes on a case by case basis, contingent upon how you maintain your hair while in a weave. I had absolutely NO damage upon removal. I washed and moisturized every week. I had very little shedding, and I have a blend of moisturizer i use on my scalp while in the weave. I dont plan on getting lots of weaves back to back though. I think maybe one or two more times next year. This will be it for the rest of 2009.

How do you keep it looking so fresh?

I washed every weekend. I sometimes blowdried and wrapped. Pin curled sometimes, braid outs. I treated it sorta like it was my hair. The brand is a good brand, and I think it had a lot to do with it.

Great hair!

Weaves are addictive aren't they? They're so much easier to deal with and you can do whatever you want to them without messing up your own hair.

It looks cute. How was the shedding and tangling?

Not bad at all. I had no tangling because I took my time taking the weave out. I oiled my scalp before i took down the cornrows.

This is SO true. During my first/and only install my hair was braided into a beehive style. The edges of my hair suffered tremendously which is why I am currently braided up. Why braiding pattern do your recommend? Is your install a fullhead (meaning zero hair left out)?

TIA!

The pattern she did sorta looks like a beehive but not really, its swirled around though. She left some hair out on the sides, and I always moisturized and massaged my edges. I have like 5% of my hair out, mostly by the part in the front some of the edges, and a little in the back. So pretty much almost all my edges. I need hair out so it can look more natural. If not, it looks too wiggy.

I just got my install in and she put a bunch of curls in it, it kinda looks babydollish. I'm going to wait till it kinda falls to take pics or maybe I'll straighten it out. I dont think it loos that much like the Nia Long cut main;y because she did a whole lot of layers. Maybe after it falls, it'll take on that look...

Ediese: As i was at her place, i showed her this thread and she read your questions. She can install all kinds of hair and she's not expensive at all. Shes in cosmoteology school, UH grad and is going to have her own shop soon after she finishes. Then, she may get expensive, so get it while the getting's good. She's mad cool too.

FeelinIt

I'm in Houston and plan on getting an install this month. You may have already given this info out so please excuse me for asking but I need your stylist's name and number. You can post it here or PM me, whatever you prefer. I want to get a full install with no hair out (natural) but I'm open to a partial install with sides and middle left out. Let me know.

Last edited:

MRJ1972

Nichi, you already know that I LOVE your hair, natural and "installed"

*Sets up lawn chair, sits back and waits for the new install photos*

Oh, one question...when you put the oil mixture on your scalp does it weigh down the hair?

Mystic

It's almost 2 weeks now since my install and it's all loose already, especially in the back. Can't imagine HOW you successfully keep it in so long, damn!!

I love it on you!

Kneechay

Yeah your hair is beautiful but where the heck do you shop? Lucky I ain't your friend IRL because I'd be drooling in your closet, LOL!

Wow, thanks!! Anywhere that's having a sale! I'm a frugal shopper, but I try to jazz pieces up with accessories or mix up ensembles for something fresh. I appreciate the love, Lucie!

I'm in Houston and plan on getting an install this month. You may have already given this info out so please excuse me for asking but I need your stylist's name and number. You can post it here or PM me, whatever you prefer. I want to get a full install with no hair out (natural) but I'm open to a partial install with sides and middle left out. Let me know.

She read this as i was reading too, I'll PM you her info. Her name is Tinnell. She's great at what she does and she's a great makeup artist as well. She does her own sew ins and here's some of her looks:

I know these are a lot of pics, but I wanted to show you her range, and I actually trust people who can install their own weaves over those who go to others to do theirs. I dont know why, I just do.

Nichi, you already know that I LOVE your hair, natural and "installed"

*Sets up lawn chair, sits back and waits for the new install photos*

Oh, one question...when you put the oil mixture on your scalp does it weigh down the hair?

Thanks, love. No, it doesn't. Shea butter is the main ingredient and that's not that greasy at all. I put that mixture every other weekend on my scalp in between the cornrows and make sure it doesnt really touch the weave hair or my hair thats left out. The other weekends, my water/conditioner/oil spray is what i use in between the cornrows.

Looked great! Can't wait to see your next install.

And YOU are gorgeous. Love your style. :yep:

Wow, that's extremely flattering, you guys are so sweet. I think I look regular, but thanks soo much. I honestly didn't think I had a 'style'.

It's almost 2 weeks now since my install and it's all loose already, especially in the back. Can't imagine HOW you successfully keep it in so long, damn!!

I love it on you!

Thanks! Well it could be loose because of growth, you never know. I notice things that can affect the looseness are the amount of brushing and combing and just generally fooling around with your hair. When I'm just chilling, I just scarf it up and dont lay around all on it. Make no mistake though, mine got loose, but I masked it with the styles I did. My hair matched really well with the weave so when it was loose, it looked more natural.

here's my install from earlier today, sorry I ate and fell asleep. I don't think it looked like the nia long style i wanted, because I ended up asking her to layer it like last time because i think without layers, it would grow boring and curls wouldn't hold. It's kind of full right now because I had to wait for the huge babydoll curls she put to fall. the first day, the weave's always really shiny, but after the first wash, it looks better. I think it looks good and I'm going to try to keep it up. (Sorry I look so tired, it's really early in the morning and im super tired/sleepy)

Last edited:

Kneechay

You always style it so beautifully! How often are you applying heat to your leave out hair?

Thanks! I think I honestly applied heat on the hair that was left out if not every other saturday, every other two saturdays. One flat iron would last a week, with wrapping. I didnt wear it straight all the time either so I would sometimes skip three saturdays. (I washed every saturday). Admittedly, upon removal, that hair was much straighter compared to the cornrowed hair. After a couple washes, it wasn't that bad though, but truthfully, the front bangs part of my hair was always straighter than the back.