Gel?

Niknak20

Hey ladies,

For my twistouts I normally just use the following: conditioner&oil combo, or just water, or just oil and I love it. But I was wondering how my twistouts would look w/gel? Any natural brands that you guys could recommend is greatly appreciated.

LivingDoll

Very defined. After two months of daily twist outs, I was frustrated my hair would get poofy/mushy and lose some definition in humidity...it just felt too soft. I added a tiny bit (like a thin dime sized amount) of Olive Oil Ecostyler mixed with my conditioner to each twist during the LCO step. I could not believe how defined my twists were...not only that, my hair didn't feel mushy or get poofy in humidity. It felt a lot stronger yet still very moisturized. My hair is very protein sensitive. Any more than the small amount I added would have made my hair crunchy.

I'm not even recommending Eco Styler per se, I just say add whatever gel you like. I'm going to try Herbal Essence Totally Twisted Gel next.

Evolving78

the best gel for twists and twistouts is Qhemet HoneyBush Tea gel! it is soft, doesn't flake, and your hair can be restyled.

ronie

the best gel for twists and twistouts is Qhemet HoneyBush Tea gel! it is soft, doesn't flake, and your hair can be restyled.

That's it. Soft hair, great definition, no flake, no crunch, no tacky sticky residue. It is the most perfect item of my stash... And I have a great stash, lol.

faithVA

I had a sample of this and I would have to agree. The first time I used it I immediately put it on my wish list.

I have also used the As I Am gel which I liked. It was not as nice as the Qhemet but you get a lot for the price. And it wasn't sticky. I hate sticky. It didn't flake. But it is going to be a bit firmer than Qhemet.

I've never used any of the eco stylers. They only sell the firm hold here.

I have used the KCCC but for the price the As I Am is better. KCCC is also sticky form me and it flakes.

I have found curling creams to work better for me hair. They have great hold, don't flake and leave my hair a bit softer than the gel. Not sure if you have considered those.

JulietWhiskey

Darkside of the moon
Currently, I use Texas Natural Supply's Lotion Creme Base I as my styler. It defines the heck out of curls, has crazy moisture, has a soft hold and does not flake. I've also used conditioners with great results, too.

When I did use gel, I really liked KCC but the price is ridiculous and I got tired of the nasty, tacky feel of the gel. Ecostyler gave me ramen-noodles and got crunchy no matter what I used as a leave-in, how much glycerin I cut it with and how much oil I used to seal. Texas Natural Supply makes a great gel but since I can achieve the geled look with lotion or conditioner, I'll stick with that.

However, if I want to slick down my edges, KCC is better IMO because it gives a softer hold while keep my edges down and letting my waves pop.

I'm 4a, BTW.

Lylddlebit

I really like knot today. It is a gel consistency but is actually a washout/leave-in conditioner. I prefer this to traditional gels as it provides the hold and definition I need but leaves my hair really, really soft. Plus it smells good.

Niknak20

Very defined. After two months of daily twist outs, I was frustrated my hair would get poofy/mushy and lose some definition in humidity...it just felt too soft. I added a tiny bit (like a thin dime sized amount) of Olive Oil Ecostyler mixed with my conditioner to each twist during the LCO step. I could not believe how defined my twists were...not only that, my hair didn't feel mushy or get poofy in humidity. It felt a lot stronger yet still very moisturized. My hair is very protein sensitive. Any more than the small amount I added would have made my hair crunchy.

I'm not even recommending Eco Styler per se, I just say add whatever gel you like. I'm going to try Herbal Essence Totally Twisted Gel next.

I appreciate your detailed feedback. Thank you.

Niknak20

That's it. Soft hair, great definition, no flake, no crunch, no tacky sticky residue. It is the most perfect item of my stash... And I have a great stash, lol.

Lol. I know what you mean. Feels like I have so much already. But some things you just need to get. Thx.

Niknak20

I had a sample of this and I would have to agree. The first time I used it I immediately put it on my wish list.

I have also used the As I Am gel which I liked. It was not as nice as the Qhemet but you get a lot for the price. And it wasn't sticky. I hate sticky. It didn't flake. But it is going to be a bit firmer than Qhemet.

I have used the KCCC but for the price the As I Am is better. KCCC is also sticky form me and it flakes.

I have found curling creams to work better for me hair. They have great hold, don't flake and leave my hair a bit softer than the gel. Not sure if you have considered those.

Thank you! I appreciate the detailed feedback from your response. I'm trying to decide what to get first lol.

Niknak20

Currently, I use Texas Natural Supply's Lotion Creme Base I as my styler. It defines the heck out of curls, has crazy moisture, has a soft hold and does not flake. I've also used conditioners with great results, too.

When I did use gel, I really liked KCC but the price is ridiculous and I got tired of the nasty, tacky feel of the gel. Ecostyler gave me ramen-noodles and got crunchy no matter what I used as a leave-in, how much glycerin I cut it with and how much oil I used to seal. Texas Natural Supply makes a great gel but since I can achieve the geled look with lotion or conditioner, I'll stick with that.

However, if I want to slick down my edges, KCC is better IMO because it gives a softer hold while keep my edges down and letting my waves pop.

I'm 4a, BTW.

Thanks for sharing your experience w/each that you used. I'm 3c/4a. I wonder if it'll matter. Pbly not right? I've never heard of the Texas natural if I can't find it in stores I'll look online.

Niknak20

I really like knot today. It is a gel consistency but is actually a washout/leave-in conditioner. I prefer this to traditional gels as it provides the hold and definition I need but leaves my hair really, really soft. Plus it smells good.

Good smell is always a plus lol. I've seen it and never thought to use it as a gel. I'll def try to get it soon. Thx!!

Philippians413

[USER=104981 said:
McQuay30[/USER];18295195]How much r u using? Is it just on the ends or the length of the hair? Thanks

I use it on the length of my hair. I make sure that my hair is well moisturized first (I usually use Curl Junkie's Smoothing Lotion because it plays well with Eco Styler) and sealed with oil before applying the gel. I use enough to cover the entire section of hair that I'm twisting.

McQuay30

I use it on the length of my hair. I make sure that my hair is well moisturized first (I usually use Curl Junkie's Smoothing Lotion because it plays well with Eco Styler) and sealed with oil before applying the gel. I use enough to cover the entire section of hair that I'm twisting.

The same way with KCCC?

BellaMarie

I use eco styler gel on my twist outs but i mix the gel with water in my hands. My hairs protein sensitive so i have to dilute the gel first. I was scared to use gel before bc it breaks my hair off but now it does not since i add water to it.

faithVA

I use eco styler gel on my twist outs but i mix the gel with water in my hands. My hairs protein sensitive so i have to dilute the gel first. I was scared to use gel before bc it breaks my hair off but now it does not since i add water to it.

Thanks for that tip. Have never used ecostyler, but will try to remember this if I ever do.

Philippians413

[USER=104981 said:
McQuay30[/USER];18297341]The same way with KCCC?

Yes it's the same with KCCC except I can use pretty much any leave-in and sometimes I skip the leave-in altogether because KCCC is pretty moisturizing to my hair on it's own.

These photos were taken a year ago, but this is what my 3 strand twist out with KCCC looks like.

Evolving78

i like the creams too! with my locs, i used to purchase this stuff. i hope i didn't toss it, so i can look for the name. it was only sold in NY, so i had to order it online. also a couple of members on Nappturality came up with a similar/same recipe for it. it didn't leave any residue, gave a nice hold, my hair moisturized, and had a nice shine. it was like a pudding, but melted like butter.

ilah

I use Eco Styler (olive oil). Can't beat the price with a stick (espeically when on sale at Sally's).
I use it on my 2 strand twists AFTER leave-in, s-curl and as i am nauturally double butter cream.
I use it from root to tip (not sure if I'm not supposed to do that or not).
I also let my hair air dry. (Heat is only used twice a year when straighting for length checks).
Keeps good hold, doesn't leave my hair crunchy or too firm.