4A/4B Twistout WITHOUT gel?

BeautifulRoots

Has anyone (with 4a/4b natural hair) done a twistout with leave in conditioner only? If so, what was the result?

My hair takes 24+ hours to dry when I use gel for my twistouts. :ohwell: I really want to get to the point where I can wash and twist at night, let it dry overnight and take them out in the morning...

-PYT

Not a leave in per se, but I use a spritz and some vaseline and it stays beautifully. You could also use the Jamaican Mango and Lime Locking Gel...I don't really consider it gel as it doesn't make my hair hard. I twist semi-dry btw. What if you let your hair air dry and stretch before twisting? HTH

Addy3010

I have with Shea Butter. It looks nice for a day or two, i guess the difference is the gel "sets" the hair for longer lasting styles.

ceecy29

I only use KCKT sealed with oyin handmade burnt sugar pomade and my twist-outs look good. Oil rinsing before putting in the twists also help.

Iluvsmuhgrass

I never use gel for my twists or twist-outs. I just use leave-ins and oils, unless I do a puff then I may use gel and a scarf to get the edges super smooth. I can get 2-3 days tops that way.

Geminigirl

I never used to use gel last summer and all winter up until a couple weeks ago. I would actually leave a little conditioner in my hair I was on Loreal Vive Pro the pink and yellow for a good minute with some JBCO and I would have soft shiny hair, BUT it would frizz. My hair takes forever to dry with gel too, but get great shine and hold with a LOT more definition and a lot less frizz.

So if you don't mind a little frizz/poofy bigness then go for it, it still looks very beautiful smells wonderful and your hair is touch-ably soft.

preciouslove0x

I just use oil. However it only lasts me for that day and must twist it back up at night if I want to do another twistout.

silenttullip

I twist with giovanni leave in and then shea butter... It lasts forever....
I'd say try scrunching with a t shirt before twisting so it won't be so rough.

LovelyNaps26

the kimmaytube leave in give THE.BOMB.DOT.COM braid outs. i coat each section and put in about 12 braids. I will say this is the day after i've washed my hair not on wash day. i will get great old if i do it on wash day but i like to have more length so i put it in 12 big twists (being sure to let the hair air dry a bit. i then turn each twist into a braid using the leave in. this style lasts for a week. i will usually braid two small portions in the front each night but honestly i could skip that step

BeautifulRoots

Not a leave in per se, but I use a spritz and some vaseline and it stays beautifully. You could also use the Jamaican Mango and Lime Locking Gel...I don't really consider it gel as it doesn't make my hair hard. I twist semi-dry btw. What if you let your hair air dry and stretch before twisting? HTH

Well...I tried that once or twice. It didn't go well for me. My hair literally takes on the shape that it dries in. When I tried this method, I unraveled the twists that I detangle in to let them airdry for about 45 minutes. My hair started to poof and shrink as it dried. After about 45 min, I used shea butter and gel. My hair was wayyy rougher and felt crispy. And when I say crispy I don't mean gel crispy...more like dry hair crispy, lol. Maybe I did something wrong?

Last edited:

BeautifulRoots

I never used to use gel last summer and all winter up until a couple weeks ago. I would actually leave a little conditioner in my hair I was on Loreal Vive Pro the pink and yellow for a good minute with some JBCO and I would have soft shiny hair, BUT it would frizz. My hair takes forever to dry with gel too, but get great shine and hold with a LOT more definition and a lot less frizz.

So if you don't mind a little frizz/poofy bigness then go for it, it still looks very beautiful smells wonderful and your hair is touch-ably soft.

Hmmmm, very true...I kind of don't want the frizz factor. The leave in thing is worth a try though. I usually try to leave my twistouts for the entire week so I don't have to wash it mid-week.

prettyinpurple

Get a good microfiber towel, use it, and only leave your hair slightly damp before starting to twist.

I don't even own any gel. I twist with my leave in and a moisturizer. My hair is usually dry by morning. If it still has a little moisture left in the morning, it's very little and dry by the time I walk out of the house (air-dries after I untwist).

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
i got good results with any product i used.

i only used gel (fantasia ic) once or twice and it left my hair super soft. the twists were looser and therefore less defined and it puffed up in a shorter amount of time.

my twistouts with shea butter or conditioner lasted a lot longer.

darlingdiva

I never use gels because I dislike how they make my hair feel--sticky.

I have twisted my hair with the Carol's Daughter Black-Vanilla leave-in only & I liked the results of my twistout. I got soft, loose waves. I didn't like that it was only a one-day style because that meant that I had to do my hair nightly.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
After washing and conditioning your hair in the evening, put your hair in 4-8 sections (that's if you do not put your hair in sections prior to and while washing and conditioning). Twist each section. Wrap a towel around your hair for about an hour. Take off the towel and then style your hair into the twists for your twistout. Do not re-wet your hair. Use whatever product you want. I use grease but I'm sure you can use a cream, leave-in conditioner, butter, or hair lotion that is not watery. If you want curled ends, wrap each twist around a flexirod, permrod, or roller. Tie your hair up at night and then in the morning, your hair should be dry, so you can unravel the twists for a twistout.

SimJam

I use AOHC BRBC or oyin hair dew mixed with shea butter (Ive stopped using gel for twistouts) lasts abt 2 days for me.

which is fine for me as gel only extended an extra day

as for drying overnight, Ive nver been able to achieve this - even with over 20 twists in my hair:spinning:

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
Yep. It came out just like any other twist out. I know we talking about TO but as far as my BO are concerned, some of my favorite sets were done without using a "gel" like product.

IMO, one key point is to let the hair "set" in the style. That means that the hair has to be wet first, then you let it dry in the style.

Nonie

Yep. It came out just like any other twist out. I know we talking about TO but as far as my BO are concerned, some of my favorite sets were done without using a "gel" like product.

IMO, one key point is to let the hair "set" in the style. That means that the hair has to be wet first, then you let it dry in the style.

:yep: ^^That.

And that doesn't mean you have to braid or twist wet hair. You can braid/twist dry hair but you do have to wet the braids/twists well and let the hair dry completely in the braids/twists for the style to set.

-PYT

I use vaseline after making each section a little damp and I get great definition

Sent from my ADR6400L using ADR6400L

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
:yep: ^^That.

And that doesn't mean you have to braid or twist wet hair. You can braid/twist dry hair but you do have to wet the braids/twists well and let the hair dry completely in the braids/twists for the style to set.

:yep::yep: I use to wash my hair in braids and twists back in the day after I detangled, took them out and bam! I had a fly braid out :drunk:

allmundjoi

I use my beloved Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie. Now I prep my hair after a cowash with KCKT, GDLI and a sprtiz with aloe vera gelly/water/evco/evoo. That spritz has made the difference. Prior to the spritz, I would add a small amount of gel to each twist. I have twisted a few times with the spritz, no gel, and its a keeper.

ETA: I also twist on wet/damp hair, rewet with my spritz as needed.

Sent from my DROIDX

ilah

Did one with S-Curl, ORS Olive Oil and Giovanni direct leave-in...it didn't have the normal hold as with either a MJ's curly pudding or Eco styler but it wsa cute for about a day or so but that was it.